Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Need to buy plasma. Thermal Arc over Miller?
- - By Stringer (***) Date 01-11-2011 04:18
I need to buy a hand-held plasma to replace an old Miller 250D which is a little too light for our work. Our LTEC 40 amp does a little better, but we'd like something for $1500 that will cut square on 3/8 stainless without being a pain to use on 16 guage.
Parent - - By goinssr (*) Date 01-11-2011 04:34
Not to say that the others are no good but I would take a serious look at Hypertherm before I bought either of the other ones that you mentioned.
Parent - By MMyers (**) Date 01-12-2011 15:44
Hypertherm just did a demo in our shop, and to say I'm impressed would be an understatement.  We're getting the x85 and for what we do (alot of gouging off of restraining welds), it's a good size with plenty of power on tap.  We also played around with cutting and it's quality on some 3/4" stainless was very nice.  Very easy to use and light enough for a single guy to easily carry.  I don't know the money end of things on this one so I don't know if it's within your price range, but it's a quality machine.
Parent - By yorkiepap (***) Date 01-11-2011 15:07
hey Stringer,
Don't hesitate to look at the Thermal Dynamics Plasma Cutters. Last summer I purchased a TD Cutmaster52 online for $1400 w/free s/h. This is a 60A unit that would serve you well as I have easily cut 1/2" material(steel) & does SS/alum. easily.

Denny
Parent - By texwelder (***) Date 01-12-2011 15:02
I have used them all and the best one lately to me was a miller spectrum about a 1500 to 1800 dollar machine it would cut up to 3/4 but it did real good on 3/8 carbon we cut a bunch of that. But my personal one is a thermal dynamics and its a real good machine for the money
- - By 99205 (***) Date 01-11-2011 07:12
I've got about 14 years experience with hand help plazma's and High Definition plaz cutting tables and feel Hypertherm probably has the best equipment although from what I hear Esab is right up there too.  Stainless steel takes more umph to cut than regular steel.  The quality of the cut depends on the gas or gases that you use.  You'll probably gonna need a machine adjustable up to 80 amps to get a square cut 3/8 stainless and do a good job on the thinner stuff.  Using just air as a cutting gas on 3/8 will probably leave a pretty rough edge to clean up on the thicker stuff and stone grinding SS dross is no fun.  I've seen good plasma machines that would do the job for you on craigslist quite often.
Parent - - By Regmanager (**) Date 01-11-2011 14:32
If you want to take the advice from someone that works on Plasmas everyday, buy a Hypertherm.
Hypertherm only offers one product. Plasma cutters. Every other company that makes Plasma cutters
has more than one line of welding machines. Miller uses Hyperthem torches. That should tell you how
good their product is.
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 01-12-2011 04:17
Thanks for the replies. Yes, we have an older Hypertherm (70 amp) and we have a table with Hypertherm HD and regular, for heavier stuff. I'm hip to gas and amperage impacting kerf and oxydation. I was leaning to a Thermal Dynamics 52, but I like the old torch heads like you find on the new ESAB or old LTEC or old Miller. The old Miller torch had your fingertip almost over the arc which offers some distinct advantages if you're practiced enough. Once again I blame lawyers for the change in design. I apologize for any ranting.
Parent - - By TozziWelding (**) Date 01-14-2011 13:13
I vote Hypertherm, made in New Hampshire, USA and all they do is plasma cutters. If you have a problem, just call the factory and you will get the owner or one of the higher ups, if you have a major problem.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-15-2011 01:06
I am not brand bashing but I will say I think highly of the thermal dynamics units I have used...
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 01-21-2011 01:36
Thanks, Tozziwelding, for the heads up on Hypertherm brand manufacture in USA. I do favor USA gear every chance I get. Someone at work pointed out we also have a portable Hypertherm 75 or something (27 amps) and I noticed it's head is unreasonably heavy for the amperage, a gripe I've had about the older 70 amp Hypertherm we've had. The torch and stiff hose make it unusable for any thing but cutting apart scrap on the plasma table. And the hose cannot be anywhere near freezing or just forget using it. I'm going to look at ESAB and see if they have a lighter torch/amperage ratio. Wish I could get to another trade show, but Chicago's so expensive.
Parent - - By J Hall (***) Date 01-21-2011 19:42
I have a hypertherm Powermax 45 and it completelty changed ny opinion of plasma. It has been great to use, with the only problem being the safety lock broke off the gun after landing on  the concrete a few times. (big deal) It is light and easy to carry, with a light, handy gun.
I'm not sure of the current pricing these days.

http://www.hypertherm.com/en/Products/Handheld_Plasma/Systems/powermax45.jsp
Parent - By Caleb C. (**) Date 01-21-2011 23:38
I just purchased a Powermax 45 yesterday. I ordered it from weldersource.com and they had the best prices I found locally or online. It ran $1510 with free shipping, some extra consumables, and a few other random goodies. And they are out of state so no tax. I much prefer supporting local businesses but they were at least $200 cheaper overall. Had a few issues with my credit card working and they worked with me until it got sorted out. Great folks I highly recomend them if your doing any online shopping.
Parent - By tekla019 Date 11-08-2011 17:51
What did you wind up buying ??
- By sled_king (*) Date 01-24-2011 04:02 Edited 01-24-2011 04:08
I own a Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 52 myself. It is a very good 60 amp machine. Max cut rating is 1 1/8", recomended cut rating is 1/2". It will pierce 3/8".
Mine is used mostly on a cnc table but i do use it ocationaly free hand off the table as well. No problems at all with this unit.
There are 3 names in Plasma cutters that stand out abouve the rest. Thermal Dynamics, Hypertherm and ESAB.
Thermal Arc are the welding machines by Thermadyne. Thermal Dynamics are their plasma machines.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Need to buy plasma. Thermal Arc over Miller?