Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / CONVEXITY OF FILLET,BUTT WELDS,ETC.
- - By DONK (*) Date 10-04-2002 16:24
DON KUMPUNEN US NAVY QA I have a question to throw out concerning the amount of convexity allowed on the face of the weld.I went through the CWI training school and it was stated a big hump or riser from the weld face forms a stress point and should be ground off.However in mil-std-1689 and mil-std-2035 there is no given dimension or cut off point on the convexity allowed.You folks who work with other stds. is there a definite requirement in this area?I also have another question concerning boundary welds on tanks that hold fuel oil,etc.According to our welding expert there is no requirement in the 2 above documents that prevents small pin holes in tank boundary welds.However we all know that some of these small pin holes may allow a leak to run along the weld and tank boundary.If this happens and it has; the fuel tank has to be pumped out and gas freed.Then you have to go back in and weld up the pin holes to stop the leak[this can get pretty costly after the ship is delivered].
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 10-04-2002 17:34
AWS D1.1, ASME Sec I, and ASME Sec VIII all address excess reinforcement. I welded in accordance with mil stds for about six years on submarine and surface ship repairs and alterations and I don't recall the requirements. However I had thought that the re-entrant angle at the toe of the weld was addressed but that was awhile ago and could be related to nuc work.

I wish I had kept my copies of 1689 and I could be of more help. It is possible there is a separate Mil Std for welding of fuel oil storage tanks on surface ships that may be referenced on the original drawings of the ship.

Do the welding procedures used for the welds reference reinforcement. We used Norfolk Naval shipyard, and Portsmouth procedures and I can't remember if they referred to the condition of the as welded joints.

Sorry I wasn't more help.

Gerald Austin
http://www.weldinginspectionsvcs.com
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / CONVEXITY OF FILLET,BUTT WELDS,ETC.