Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Tires?
- - By okwelder82 (***) Date 01-12-2011 20:33
Hey guys, what kind of tires are some of you guys running on you rigs? I have Maxxis Buckshots on mine right now and they havent wore very well so im looking for something that will last a little longer and kind of an all terrain tire. Thanks guys.
Parent - By A_DAB_will_do (*) Date 01-12-2011 21:49
Drive Tires:
http://www.treadwright.com/p-19-225-70-r19-5-crawler-f.aspx

Steering Tires:

Roadmaster RM 160 225/70R19.5

Happy with both brands.  The drive tires are re-treads, but seem to be a good quality job.  I've got about 1K miles on them and so far so good.
Parent - - By stanantonio Date 01-13-2011 00:25
I,ve had really good luck transforce AT's. Ive been able to get a full 50 to 60k out of these and in my opinion are some of the best winter tires u can buy for a work truck.  You can never go wrong with BFG's either which is whats on my truck now.
Parent - By Robert48 (**) Date 01-13-2011 01:30
This should be an interesting post because people look at tire brands like truck brands. Everyone has a preferance, and the hell with the rest. I have been running Toyo Open Country A/Ts (10ply) for the past three sets and love them. They are good enough off road, and very smooth on road. I would just have to estimate about 50k out of them. Because I have been running over something and ruining one or two before they wear out. So I end up changing them all early to keep from getting them all out of sequence.
Parent - - By Johnyutah (**) Date 01-13-2011 01:47
Transforce AT on my rig and BFG AT on my personal truck both have been great ran Toyo in the past not a bad tire but you have to rotate them every 5k to 7k. Also the Toyo didn't hold up very well when I would chain up they would loose big chunks on the edge of the tire. I guess it depends on what you like I would rather chain up once in a while then listen to a mud tire.
Parent - - By Robert48 (**) Date 01-13-2011 01:54 Edited 01-13-2011 01:56
Not much need for chains here in Ga. But I just done pulling my wifes car out of the drive with my truck. Solid ice every where. I have BFG on my 2500 Chevy just because of looks alone. I don't drive it enough to wear a set out before they dry rot though.
Parent - By JeremyW83 (***) Date 01-13-2011 02:16
Just make sure you get load range Es to support the extra weight.
Parent - By NWPAwelder (**) Date 01-13-2011 02:30
Cooper Discoverer S/T in 10 ply. These are specifically designed for use on trucks such as a one ton dual wheel vehicle and have a great all terrain pattern. Lots of traction in the snow and in the mud.
The nice thing about Cooper is that they are a U.S. MADE product and Cooper does not produce tires for the auto manufacturers. That means that they are an aftermarket only producer and also means that they tend to hold their quality standards higher than other companies. Another benefit that I like about them is that they have a much more rigid sidewall than other brands and tend to have a profile that "stands up" rather than have that appearance like your tires are low on air all the time.

http://www.coopertire.com/html/products/tires_lighttruck.aspx?page=discoverer_st
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-13-2011 04:20
When I first bought the truck it had Kelly Safari's on it. Unfortunately I found out they were only D rated tires and felt like I was riding on sponges. Ended up getting a set of Firestone Transforce AT's and put about 30k on the rear tires. That was my hot rodding diesel days and the rear just don't last long when your slippin' them on the pavement. Replaced them and ended up getting about 50k out of the firestones. I had some General Grabber AT's on the rear and those lasted about 50k as well. This time around bought 6 new Kelly Safari AT's....E rated and the tire guy friend of mine was looking at them with me and he looked at the tread depth and about fell over. Said he's never seen tread that deep before. So, Firestone, Kelly's, General's have all been good tires for me and will not break the bank like the Nitto, Toyo or Michelin Man. Picked my Kelly's up for $130 each, General's were $108 each and the Firestones were about $135-140 each. Bought the Generals and Firestones off the Tire Rack and mounted myself.
Parent - - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 01-13-2011 09:23
Best tires ever run on a dually are the Transforce AT by Firestone gettin' 60-70K, our problem is picking up debris & not catching it before it goes flat enough to heat & peel the tread ruining the tire( on rears), that's one of those employee irritations !!!!!! ( just get in & drive, no P.T.'s).     On my new F350 put Coopers, tire guy claims I'll like better than Transforce, I'll believe it when I see it!!!!! From Pittsburgh waitin' on dem' Ravens to show up for their whoopin' & nat' !!!!!!
Parent - By hillbilly (**) Date 01-13-2011 11:29
Another Transforce fan here. My ton is on its 3rd set in a row on the ole girl. No matter what tire you chose, give it a fighting chance by keeping up on rotations, pressure, etc.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 01-13-2011 13:35
Shouldn't a discussion about tires be in Off Topic?
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-20-2011 16:32
I can move it.

I have BFG MTII's on all four coners of my 1T crewcab and they do great in deep mud/snow and wet traction on pavement is excellent compared to all previous tires that have been on the truck.....I've got around 35K on the BFGs now and as far as I'm concerned they are worn out and need to be replaced.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 01-20-2011 19:25
No. No need to move it. I just noticed we seemed to be gettin a lot of maintenance posts on Shop Talk.
No biggy.
Parent - By texwelder (***) Date 01-13-2011 15:09
Mud grips never wear well, For long life tires you'll probally need to go to a name brand commercial tire, not very good in the mud at all but last alot longer. I have a set Buckshots on my one ton and 50% gone with only 20,000 miles on them and i'm running that one empty no load at all
Parent - By bigrod (**) Date 01-19-2011 19:17
I've run the nitto tera grapplers on my rig for the last year now, and i've got 40,000 miles on them right now.  they have been a great mud/winter tire, they wear even and they are very quiet.  I have been pleased with them.
- - By jrod (**) Date 01-13-2011 14:31
I second the buckshots being junk. I've got firestone destination MTs right now. They have about 40,000 on then right and are still knee deep in rubber. The pickup came with bfg rugged trail T/As, I ran them for 53,000 before I replaced them. They could have gone longer, but they absolutely sucked in the mud.
Parent - - By roundydownie (**) Date 01-15-2011 01:44
i got cooper stt with 50k and lots lots more miles left..
Parent - - By up-ten (***) Date 01-19-2011 21:18
Toyo M-55 Hyparadials,Snow and traction. Indestructible and great mileage,2nd set on same rig.
Parent - - By JMCInc (**) Date 01-20-2011 05:26
Second on the toyos. I'm not rigged out but rarely does my truck move without some sort of heavy trailer attached to it, usually a gooseneck. The toyos wear like iron. Well worth the $.
Parent - By texasrigwelder (**) Date 01-20-2011 16:06
Have ran Toyo mt. Nito mt. Nito at. Cooper stt. Cooper at  three or four super swampers  bfg mt  buckshots and big horns. Got bigo bigfoots right now. Seem to be best all around far as noise were and traction. But the mud tires there not made to last there made to go through mud
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Tires?