Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Public versus Private welding schools
- - By addizone Date 10-04-2002 17:09
Welding schools can often be classified as either Private(Proprietory) or Public.
Private schools can be the most direct route to a job as a Welder. However, if a person wants
to earn true college credits (credits that would be transferrable to a four year
Degree in Welding , for example), community colleges and other state supported colleges
are your best bet. Private schools may say that their courses are equally acceptable, that they are accredited,
and that they offer certificates or degrees; but the true test for someone seeking a real college degree
is ****whether or not the private school courses are acceptable for transfer to a regular college level welding
program.**** The only way for a person to check this out is to go to a college first and inquire as whether
the XXX Welding School's courses will count towards a college degree. Otherwise students may not be
getting what they think they are getting.

I understand that the above is a generalization, and there are no doubt exceptions. I also have
a bias as an educator in the Public sector. Both types of institutions perform a valuable service.
It is important however, to make students who seek a college degree(with transferrable credits)
aware of the differences. Otherwise they may end up spending their financial aid and other
resources on training that has no value towards a college degree.

Dr. David Addison
Dean of Technology
SUNY Delhi College of Technology
New York State

http://techdivision.delhi.edu
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 10-04-2002 19:53
Do you speak of a degree in "Welding Engineering" or some other type of degree. I'm not familar with welding degree programs but I have always wanted to continue my education in the welding area however many of the schools in my area both public and private offer only "Welding Classes" that teach an individual how to weld with various processes and repeat very basic concepts that can be learned at home with the literature available from AWS, Lincoln etc.

Are the courses you mention at your organization for an engineering degree or a for a "degreed welder"?

I read through some of the "program objectives" and noticed that many of those objectives can be reached in high school vocational education classes. I'm curious as to what it matters as far as "credits" go. Other than high school and less than one year of military training I have no training. I have not been asked for an credits.

The reason I have responded to this is I have visited a few vocational programs in high schools and have noticed welding being seldom promoted. Much of the knowledge I have today was developed from a core knowledge and keen interest I developed in high school. All the classes and certificates and credits mean nothing to an individual who is not sincerly interested in this trade. The industry does not seem to promote "good welders" it promotes certificates, degrees, inspector certification, etc.

Regardless of what training you get, it should be for the real world and should be something you are interested in. The interest will drive your level of skill and knowledge much greater than transferable credits or certificates. Plus it makes work much more fun.

You don't have to pay to learn. You can even get payed to learn (Military, Construction Training Programs, Labor Unions) or at least learn for free (High School, Library, friends shop).

Whatever route one takes it should be based on a desire to learn all thay can from the situation. What you do is more important than what your trained/certified/educated to do.

Good day and thanks for putting up with my rambling.

G Austin
Parent - - By addizone Date 10-04-2002 21:18
Pipewelder,
At SUNY Delhi in upstate New York, we have Two-Year Associate Degrees and a One Year Certificate
in Welding- Industrial and in Welding-Sculpture. These are college level degrees that prepare
a student for employment as a welder, OR, for continuing their education by transferring their
Associate Degree credits to a school with a 4-year degree in Welding Technology,
Welding Management, Welding Teaching, etc. This is much more than a "class." The Associate
Degree has 1100+ hours of "hands on" welding instruction. The Certificate has about 780 hours
of" hands on" welding instruction. Graduates typically pass the NYS Dept of Transportation
certification.

Delhi is a residential college with dormitories, etc. You can check out our programs by going to:
http://techdivision.delhi.edu and exploring the Welding Technology site. Hope this answers
your question. If not, please respond.

Regards,
David Addison

Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 10-05-2002 01:21
My understanding is that the program your school provides would be for a "degreed welder" and If that person wanted further education, the 2 years spent at welding school would go toward a 4 year degree?

I checked out the website at as far as welding courses goes you covered it pretty well.

Regardless of what sector its taught in, teaching to people that are intersted by people that are interested will turn out good results.

Thanks very much for your time.

Gerald Austin
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Public versus Private welding schools