Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Catus- New Orleans Project (locked)
1 2 3 Previous Next  
- - By cajun welder (**) Date 01-16-2011 02:07
Hello Catus,
I saw a segment on 60 minutes about Rebuilding New Orleans Infrastructure, that showed the progress so far, and there was alot of big pipe and concrete used to build a wall that was 32' tall and I think they said it will take 4000+ pipes, 36" diameter (very impressive project) and remembered you had a contract to build some gates, and was curious on how it was going and if it was part of that project.

Thanks
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-16-2011 03:16
It is all going well and Yes, that is part of the Project. There are many more tapings to follow. If I can find out when they will be aired I will post it on here. That is what the post "Ronnie Tayylor's First Test" was for. The TYK comnnection on the Pipe as per AWS D1.1 and D1.5
Parent - By cajun welder (**) Date 01-16-2011 16:26
Thanks, and good luck with all your projects.
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 01-18-2011 00:18
I'd really like to see that as well, please do post when it is airing. I was offered a job for the levees but was to far and the pay wasn't very much but there is a lot of work down there a lot of different contractors on that project, for everyone else wanting in on this be craeful there is some shady contractors trying to get good welders for nothing. I ran into that problem with one company
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-18-2011 00:30
Kiewit is one that does that. They are not "shady". They are HUGE so they kinda do what they want and get away with it.
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 01-18-2011 03:30
this one was Magnum Construction, it sucks but at the same time glad it happened because i don't like working for company like that anyways
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-18-2011 18:14
Magnum is also the Staffing agency for National Oilwell's Yard in Houston. They charge National 60-65 per hr for a welder and then they pay him 35 for a All Out Rig Welder
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 01-18-2011 18:39
Damn!
I'm in the wrong business.
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-18-2011 18:39
Staffing companies make a FORTUNE !!!!
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 01-19-2011 00:48
dam, I really didn't think this company was all that big anyways. I thought about going through Cajun Construction but gonna give this other place a try tomorrow morning and see what happens. i've been told Cajun has the big contract for the levees and there are a bunch of other small guys under them
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-19-2011 01:04
You have been told wrong. Cajun is a Sub. Keiwit is the Prime
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 01-19-2011 01:37
thanks
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 01-23-2011 08:08
They are all crooks we might as well just get used to it and stick it out for the highest amoune we can get i will not flip the switch on my machine for less that 50 and at even at that rate theres at least a 4 hr minimum
Parent - - By C6.7weldrig (**) Date 01-24-2011 01:19
--Quote--"They charge National 60-65 per hr for a welder and then they pay him 35 for a All Out Rig Welder"--Quote--

That is insane.... who the hell in there right mind would weld for that???? ... not me....

Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-24-2011 01:26
I wont either. But I know guys who have. In that area of town, Guys line up for the Job.  DSI (Drilling Structures International) in Houston is another one. They pay their Rig Welders 35 an hour and the Welder has to FURNISH ! I know several who walked away. But they are full with Welders and they have have a list to get in
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 01-24-2011 08:49
My name aint on that list nor eill it be
Parent - - By Platinumbased (**) Date 01-25-2011 23:15
Isn't this a Federal project?  If so, prevailing wage rates for welders apply.  $50/hr straight time with benefits package money total compensation package sounds about right.  Not sure what a rig hand would have to get.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-25-2011 23:52
This issue has been beat to death about the prevailing wage. In the area that this job is in, Pevailing wage is $14.26 per hour.
Parent - - By Platinumbased (**) Date 01-26-2011 00:50
$14.26 an hour?  For which construction trade?  I've worked in your state before and made around $40 an hour total compensation with the Boilermakers several years ago.  What prevailing wage scale are you using?    

Here's a link with all the prevailing wage rates for every boilermaker local in the USA.  Ironworkers make similar wages.  Southeastern package which covers Louisiana, is $44.39 for field construction boilermakers whom I assume fall under the wage jurisdiction for this project??  I'm not active with the BM's these days but I know we did this type of work in the past and that's what we got paid on Federal jobs.  No way that $14.26 can be the prevailing wage for a federal flood gate project.   

http://www.boilermakerslocal169.com/PDF%20FILES/LOCAL%20AREA%20WAGES%2008%2008%202010.pdf
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-26-2011 01:00 Edited 01-26-2011 01:31
Its not Boilermakers or Ironworkers. The Scale Sheet sent out by the US Dept Of Labor, list WELDER. Now the other side of this, The U.S. Dept of Labor HAS NO JURISDICTION over Contract Welders. As long as the paper work is done right. Neither does OSHA. There are 1 or 2 members on this forum who thought they knew otherwise. They were Wrong. Check all the US Department of Labor Laws and learn them well. Not everything is as "cut and dry" as it seems.
Parent - - By Platinumbased (**) Date 01-26-2011 01:33
If you say so.  I'm sure the goons from the trade unions would say otherwise.  I'm wondering why they have not targeted you as they seem to have the support of the White House.  Unless Louisana politics have seen to it that $14.26 an hour is the prevailing wage which wouldn't surpise me at all.  It's the way things are done down there and I saw it wit my own eyes.  You must be making a FORTUNE! 

I hope 60 minutes doesn't do a story on you guys a few years from now.  Of course all the money will long gone by then.
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-26-2011 01:35 Edited 01-26-2011 01:45
The money is all paid very Legally. I can post the names and numbers of the Area Directors of the US Dept of Labor if you would like to check with them. I think you would be amazed at what they DO NOT have any control over. As far as the Goons from the Union. I personally know 2 of the Ironworker B.A.'s that drive by the Job location on a daily basis. What do they care ? Nothing ! Texas is a right to work state. We don't have Unions worth a crap. And the Northern Unions just get laughed down here. As far as 60 mnutes goes, A Producer from that show named Karen Sughrue has already emailed me.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-26-2011 01:54
He is right.

"Not everything is as "cut and dry" as it seems."

"The U.S. Dept of Labor HAS NO JURISDICTION over Contract Welders. As long as the paper work is done right. Neither does OSHA."

Now that's the TRUTH!!

In other words, there are many legal ways to screw someone.

jrw159
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-26-2011 01:55
Here you go !
Attachment: WAGERATECPINSONIONCREEK2.pdf (238k)
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-26-2011 01:59
I didn't make the rules but I know how to play by them VERY well !
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-26-2011 02:14
Indeed you do. There is a big difference between what is morally right and what is legally right.

I think this is both of our points and everyone should be aware of it. :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-26-2011 02:23
First off you need to read back on some of the other post on this issue. I have said from DAY 1 that we are paying WAY above prevailing wage. This discission is about what prevailing wage is, Not what I am paying. So, If you want to talk about what I pay, No problem. I seem to remember when I paid you for the Two days work you did. You made the comment "I made more working for you in Two days than I do at my Regular job in a whole week !" You were sitting in my office in front of others that heard you as well.
Parent - - By Platinumbased (**) Date 01-26-2011 02:28
Cactus, you sound like a real scum bag.  Don't know you and never wish to.  It's people like you who are ruining this trade.  Do you hire illegals also?
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-26-2011 02:31
Nope, I have plenty of I-9's And why am I a Scumbag ? Because I do well for myself ?
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-26-2011 03:03
You do well for YOURSELF by screwing other people. 

jrw159
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-26-2011 03:29
And I guess that where ever you have worked, The owners share their profits with you ? That is why it is MY company and not OURS.
Parent - - By Platinumbased (**) Date 01-26-2011 02:21
I'm sure the taxpayers apperciate your business practices.  Thanks for the heads up about Karen Sughrue from 60 minutes.  I'll be emailing her as well and asking her to look into prevailing wage of $14.00 an hour on Federal welding jobs.

Just do one thing for the US taxpayer catus.  Build them RIGHT the first time ok?  I'm tired of paying for sub standard work and bailing you people out down there when the crooks and politicians cut corners on flood gates and levies like they did last time.  Thanks.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-26-2011 02:27
I think you would be hard pressed to find any corners being cut. It sounds like to me, once again, that there are some who are upset that they are not, and can not, get on this job. If you are not happy with the Wages you make then Buy a Rig and get on your own. Be your own man and make your own rules. As long as you work as an Employee, You are and will always be at the Mercy of someone else,.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-26-2011 02:47
"I think you would be hard pressed to find any corners being cut."

MALE BOVINE EXCREMENT!!! LMFAO

jrw159
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-26-2011 02:41
"Just do one thing for the US taxpayer Cactus.  Build them RIGHT the first time ok?"

<SNORT>

Hey, 1/4"X4X4 is damn heavy ****. Gin trucks on location can only handle so much weight Mr. Engineer.

jrw159
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-26-2011 02:51
What ?
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-26-2011 02:59
Never mind, you had to be there.... oh wait.... you were! LOL
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-26-2011 03:15
John, You have referenced this a few times in the past when you were trying to discredit me. I think you are talking about the Doghouse that we built and then decided to do it a different way. It had NOTHING to do with Weight. It had to do with the fact that it would be to hard to manually telescope it while inside a closed tank without hydraulics. THE OWNER opted to not spend the money on Hydraulics. He opted to change the design to Swing Away Braces. Once again. Get the facts straight. The Pole truck had NO problems picking it up and swinging it into position. I think the picture will show that. You are Hell Bent to try and say it was to heavy. That had nothing to do with it. Your Experience (or lack of ) in Rig yards is showing. Millions and Millions of Dollars have been spent in Trial and Error on Every Rig Yard in the Country. If someone has an Idea, Then Try it. Maybe it works Maybe it don't. But you try. And when the Man writing the Checks changes my mind for me, Well it's his money not mine. He must like the way things work out. I am still doing work with him an a daily basis. And I promise you that the checks he writes me are Rather Large.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-26-2011 03:31 Edited 01-26-2011 03:33
That is a far cry from a gin truck on location and you are NOT working in Hampton AR. That lasted a few months which is a far cry from the 1 year (best case 2 years) that you used as a lure.

Two words.... TOO HEAVY.

"It had to do with the fact that it would be to hard to manually telescope it while inside a closed tank without hydraulics."

Because it was too HEAVY! LOL 1/4X4X4 is some heavy chit. Of course you know that now.

jrw159

EDIT: That is a damn heavy piece and it is still INCOMPLETE. :-)
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-26-2011 03:36 Edited 01-26-2011 03:38
Apparently you have not been on a location for Rig move in a LONG time if ever. They Don't Use Gin Poles any more. They use Cranes. You are right, I am not working in Hampton. The Company was Bought out and the Owner now lives in Shreveport. Now I am building here in my Home Town in My Yard that THEY paid for. 2 Years for a Lure ? you got me on that one ? I have no idea about a 2 year or a 1 year lure, OK OK OK it's to heavy. I need to go and tell the Operator to quit picking it up ! I'm sure that he does not know as much about Cranes and Rigging as you do. Bye the way. The pcture shows a Boom Truck, Not a crane or gin pole
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-26-2011 03:40
So why did you cut out all of the heavy wall material and replace it with.... wait for it..... lighter material? 

Who originally called out for the heavy wall material? I bet he does not have an engineering degree. I bet he is a wannabe know it all that FAILED.

Hopefully he learned from his mistakes and will apply this knowledge in the future.

jrw159
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-26-2011 03:43
John, There was no Heavy wall. It is all 1/4 wall which is NOT heavy wall. It was REMOVED not replaced. The design came fro a Phd in Engineering named Dr. Lee Guise. Oh wait...... You met him in the yard as well. Remember, he was on my payroll too..   Anything else ?
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-26-2011 03:57
NOPE. 1/4"X4X4 is heavy and... OVERKILL. That is why it was REPLACED with the pile of 1/8X3X3.

I am not blind.

jrw159
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-26-2011 04:06
You have to be. NO ONE uses 1/8 wall ANYTHING on a Rig. John, This Doghouse is a Small one. With the Big tubes in it it only weighed about 15k. The Draw Works on a 2k rig weighs about 100k. THEY DONT DONT SET THOSE WITH A GIN POLE !
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-26-2011 04:01
"he was on my payroll too.. "

I think that says it all!

You made the comment in another thread that I needed to impress you. I did that already or you would not have had me come down there. Past that, I do NOT need to impress you... I AM the inspector, YOU are the welder, it is my signature, not yours and that is the way it works.

Can you say CONFLICT OF INTEREST!!!!

jrw159
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-26-2011 04:09
You were On my Payroll. You did not have a problem with that Conflict of interest while you were being payed ? You need to stay in the Sector that you currently work in I guess. Because you Obviously DO NOT understand The Oilfield. As far as impressing me (or anyone else that pays you) Yes you do. and when you quit impressing the people that pay you is the same time they will find someone who will.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-26-2011 04:20
At the time I was paid for there was no conflict of interest. BUT... both of us saw it coming. Fail a welder that passed his test.....should I go on?

Never mind.. This is no longer amusing tonight. I will see you the next time you poke your head out from under your slimy little rock.

jrw159
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-26-2011 04:40
Like I said. 90% of my time at Home and you have my address
Parent - - By Platinumbased (**) Date 01-26-2011 03:15
jrw159:  if he's cutting corners, you are obligated to report it.  Sunshine is a disinfectant
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-26-2011 03:22
Apparently, Since I am the one providing all of MY certified Payroll forms for you two to look at. It doesn't appear that I am screwing anyone. It DOES appear that you were not aware of the facts before starting this arguement
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Catus- New Orleans Project (locked)
1 2 3 Previous Next