Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Bernard mig gun
- - By mastermetal (*) Date 01-16-2011 22:52
I am going to purchase a mig gun for my miller 12VS suitcase. Miller suggest a bernard 300. I will be doing lite industrial and  commercial fabrication, some pipe and structral. Mostly .035 hard wire but want to be able to run dual shield. I have used Tweco guns my whole career but never a Bernard. I like the idea of the Bernard drop in tip and a sort of gas lens. Any body out there been using one , any opinouns.

Thanks Keith
Parent - By jarcher (**) Date 01-16-2011 23:36 Edited 01-16-2011 23:39
If you want to run dual shield and .045 you're probably better off with the Bernard 300. If, OTOH, you're going do something like fixed pipe, I like the 150. In fact, for that application, I don't much care for anything with a cablehoz (manufacturers' please take note). There's not much better gun than the Bernard 150 with separate power cable and gas line for that type of work or any other place you must use a fine touch with a .035 wire. I have welded fixed small diameter pipe with MIG and a 300 amp gun for process equipment, but I definitely don't recommend a steady diet of it.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-17-2011 00:33
That "lens" fills with spatter.. when using FCAW  bad news.

Contact tip not adjustable with centerfire... I like the adjustability with Tweco for short circuit/Spray/FCAW...

Very upset about Miller giving no choice of guns with their new equipment... Bernard or nothing.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-17-2011 06:01
Check with your Tweco parts supplier to see if Tweco has an adapter for the Miller suitcase you're referring to... Remember that just because Miller "suggests" Bernard, doesn't mean that you only have one choice in the type of gun to use. ;) The adapter kits should work out just fine for your Miller. ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-17-2011 14:51
For Sure!

Your old Tweko #5 and #4 torches should plug right into any brand new Miller feeder...

My gripe is about how lousy Bernard guns are when it comes to versatility and how Miller has removed choice from the issue.
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 01-17-2011 16:49
I hate the Q guns. The centerfire tips are garbage IMO. When I bought my S-32P-12 I put the Roughneck C-Series 400Amp gun on it and they use the Fastip contact tip. I think it is WAY better than the Bernard but would take a Tweco over it anyday! The main reason for the Roughneck was so I could have common contact tips for my MIG and Spool guns.
- - By mastermetal (*) Date 01-18-2011 17:56
Thanks for the help guys. I bought a 400amp weld skill-tweco  today.
Parent - By dbric36 (*) Date 01-22-2011 14:10
I am supprised that they didn't offer Tregaskiss as they are both owned by the same company.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Bernard mig gun