Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Finding Jobs to bid on
- - By ccbrown (*) Date 01-17-2011 01:55
I'm the shop CWI and welder, I have been around long enough to know now that the only way to move up the food chain past a certain point is to get/find work for your company and manage those jobs successfully. Now with that said to all you guys out there that run your own shops where do you find jobs to bid on? Is it all the "who you know" game or is there some listing somewhere of upcoming jobs accepting bids? We do mostly pipe and pipe related fabrications of all types and grades sizes etc. don't know if that matters. I know what it takes to do a job down to the minute and exactly what is required material wise and know I could manage any job I would be able to get I just don't have a clue in hell as where to find jobs to bid on. Would appreciate any words of wisdom.
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-17-2011 02:26
Most of the Work in the OilField is the "Who you know" aspect. It's all a matter of contacts
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-17-2011 02:27
Where are you located ?
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 01-17-2011 02:55
Some of it is "who you know" but that comes from "who you meet"
You go to companies that sell what you make and ask them for work.
If you are hungry, you beg for work.
Years ago I worked for a company that was noted for being really hard to get in with. The company was a good company, but they tended to work with the people they knew. I had a friend that worked for a company that had a master service agreement with them but never got called. I told him to start making appointments with them at 3 PM on Friday.
Why?
The field operation people were really bad about starting work on Thursday. By Friday, they had either fixed the problem or got it into the the shape they needed engineering support. By the time field operations went through the chain of command and a adult realized the kids needed help it was around 3 PM on Friday.
Guy started seeing them every Friday at 3 PM. Took five weeks and he was sitting in the engineers office at 3:15 when the phone rang and the engineer asked my friend if they could get a crew to a job site ready to go to work Monday morning.
From that point on they were one of the "who you know" contractors and still do work for them.
You just have to beat on doors. And keep on beating. If you do not know much about sales, you better learn.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-17-2011 14:36
I agree with everything that's been said, sometimes it's who you know or who the folks your working for know. Have made several new contacts thru folks that call and say I know a guy who is doing blah blah blah and he needs a welder to do......next thing you know your fixin one job for the contractor and the homeowner is having you do a welding repair on a tractor mounted log splitter.

But like Joe said, find contractors that are in the area, or areas you work and get on their subcontractor list. I went to a symposium last year and just grabbed business cards, chatted and pick up paperwork. Still trying to fill out/ meet requirements for all the contractor information I got. Have got a few bid invites but usually bigger than what I can handle at this point. Government stuff, get on lists with them, from local towns to big cities and ol' Uncle Sam himself. All I can say there is do a search, check with local towns, cities around you. I think the Veterans Administration has a site to, think I'm thinking about Vetbiz, may or may not apply. If the owner of the company you work for is a vet, disabled vet, minority owned or woman owned that gives you brownies with government contracts as well. I think around here county governments, state have stuff on their websites, jobs coming up with open bid invites. It's better to get on the list though then you can get it sent to your email without having to go everyday and hunt thru and see whats there.

Seems to be several types of contractor lists online that you can sign up for, cannot think of them off hand, signed up and then forget which I signed up for! To many to try and keep up with. Once you fill out all of the stuff you watch your email for invites to bid.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-17-2011 15:20
Depending upon the type of work your company does, you usually have something like the 'Plan Exchange' or your local/county Contractors Association, or notices in the paper of certain projects that are up for open bidding and must be advertised.  A regular check with them can yield good results if you have someone you can send in to their offices or allow them time to go through the paper. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 01-18-2011 04:54
Chris,
It really depends on your targeted market. Heavy industrial, light industrial, commercial, manufacturing, shop/field fabrication etc.
We subscribe to the AGC. Association of General Contractors of the Carolinas. Problem is, so does every one else in the free world....IMO not that useful to us but it has lots of info on upcoming projects. Mostly commercial, highway/bridge, utility work. Many contractors use it exclusively. You don't have to be a GC, can be a prime or sub contractor also.

I suggest calling, emailing or better yet visiting any plants, companies, businesses in your area that you might be able to help out now or in the future. Provide your companies capabilities and contact info. Even visit job site in progress, hopefully in the early phases, usually they already have everything contracted out but you never know. Their contractors may be behind or deficient or they may keep you in mind on their next project. The more contacts you make the better your chances of getting something now or later. If you do drum up some work, try to make them a repeat customer.

Good luck.

http://www.agc.org/cs/about_agc/find_a_chapter
- By joe pirie (***) Date 01-17-2011 02:16
they have constructiionnewspapers called the greensheet and the dodge report  put out by
mcgraw hill  and they have the contractors bluebook which lists every licensed contractor by state
and classification that you can contact and get on there bid list good luck
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Finding Jobs to bid on