Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / D1.5 PQR's for tubing structures
- - By John Carlson Date 01-17-2011 18:27
How does one have to run the pqr's for a D1.5 tubing structure? The tubing is not listed in this code and some of the weld joints are not covered by this code. They are covered in D1.1. My thought is they have to run the pqr's to the 5.13 production procedure wps as 5.12 heat input pqr's require joints detailed in fig. 2.4 and 2.5. A flare bevel groove is not listed in these figures. Anyone have any thoughts on this topic.?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-17-2011 19:56
Tubulars are not addressed by the Bridge Code.

Tubular shapes per ASTM A500 and possibly A501 are not included because of material problems regarding notch toughness.

For fabricated tubulars, i.e., hollow box sections and the like must be given special consideration by the Engineer because of restrictions on single sided complete joint penetration groove welds made without backing or back gouging.

My experience has been that the Engineer uses D1.1 fr design, fabrication, and inspection. Qualification is typically per D1.1 with notch toughness requirements imposed.

In any event, the customer, usually the Department of Transportation will have the last say on the design, materials selection,  fabrication requirements, qualification, inspection, etc. If they don't say "OK" nothing is going to go foreward.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By John Carlson Date 01-17-2011 21:34
Design has specified A500 C with cvn's
Max heat input PQR's were performed to Bridge code as most DOT's require for bridge structures (Ped or veh)
Read 5.4.3 in 08 D1.5. Use of unlisted base metals. This is where I get my interpetation from. According to this they have to use 5.13 production pqr.
What are your thoughts???

Thank you for your response and input.
JC
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-17-2011 22:43
You might want to read clause 2.26.1.4 (D1.1-2006 for example) regarding concerns with ASTN A500 Tubulars.

When in doubt, ask the Engineer and Owner for clarification. It is less expensive to ask the question upfront than to find out the clocking isn't ticking properly half way through the race.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By John Carlson Date 01-18-2011 00:27
I am sure Design E gave that some thought as he required A500 C with P freq tested CVN's.
JC
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / D1.5 PQR's for tubing structures