Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Determining the center of an item without a lot of math
- - By aevald (*****) Date 01-20-2011 22:11 Edited 01-21-2011 04:05
Hello folks, I am sure many of you out there do this on a regular basis in one form or another, yet there may be those who are newer to the trade that haven't considered a method like this. So for those who aren't familiar with this technique, here it is. Best regards, Allan

Edit: I have included an additional image to show an application that may help when you are doing layouts for various patterns such as: square to rounds, saddles, basically anytime that you need to divide circles into equal divisions when they are already quartered.
     I've got one more image to include here that describes/illustrates a method for dividing a pattern grid into equal divisions in a relatively simple manner. Not any heavy duty math and allows a decent degree of accuracy.
Parent - - By Pat (**) Date 01-21-2011 12:28
Allen,

Thank you very much for the information. This should be of immense help to some of my co-workers that have anxiety attacks when they are selected to do, or participate in fabrication projects. Quite a few times I have observed some of these guy's getting frustrated when trying to figure out how to do the math. Very often I will get them going down the correct path, but even though I know in my own head how to do the computations, I feel that I am not very proficient at explaining the procedures and different methods to others. I have a notebook full of valuable information that yourself and others have shared over the years, and very soon I am going to select the items that I feel would be of the greatest benefit, and spend some time at the copy machine making them each their own booklet. I have found that when some of these people are provided, read, and comprehend information that helps them become successful at whatever they are doing, it gives them a sense of accomplishment and they take a much greater interest in the work they are performing. Thanks again.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 01-21-2011 14:23
Hello Pat, I am glad that someone might find a use for this sort of information. I am also hopeful that others will share in a similar fashion if they can. I am constantly looking for shortcuts, tips, alternative methods etc. to accomplish many of the fitting and layout tasks that are out there. If we don't share, we all lose in the future. Best regards, Allan
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Determining the center of an item without a lot of math