Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / P91 weld crack
- - By M-Squared (**) Date 10-08-2002 15:29
Has anybody heard of, or does anyone know of, any weld failures in B9 weld wire associated with High Hardness values. Lets say hardness in excess of 300 Brinell.

Typically, failures occur due to creep rupture in the softened portion of the HAZ. I am being told that there have been failures in the weld metal due to high hardness. However, I have yet to verify this.

Any help would be appreciated.
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 10-08-2002 17:24
Check out this paper on welding P91 material by Walter Speko. He says that BHN over 300 is a result of improper PWHT. This would cause the HAZ to be brittle. Failure because of this would result from inadequate impact tougness, usually at startup because of the lower tempertatures.

http://www.sperkoengineering.com/html/Grade%2091%20R%209-02.pdf
Parent - By M-Squared (**) Date 10-08-2002 18:34
Thank you for your reply. I am familiar with this paper. However, the HAZ does not become brittle it actually softens (the paper does not say that the HAZ becomes brittle). This is inherent with these materials and it has been well documented. The weakest link with these materials is neither the base metal nor the weld metal, but the HAZ with regards to long term creep (Actually Type IV cracking). This has been proven using hardness profiles over a weld cross section.

I agree that welds which show high hardness (> 350 Brinell), will be less tough. Generally the higher the hardness the less tough or more brittle the weld will be. These high hardness values are a concern with fabrication and erection only. If the weld is brittle (less tough) and it is subjected to impact loads or unusually high stresses, such as those produced by hydro testing, brittle failure may occur. But, you must keep in mind that toughness is not, or should not be a concern once the weld is in operation. The reason for this is most of the welds operate between 900 – 1100 F. These temperatures are above the range where fast brittle fracture is likely to occur.

However, when we are talking about integrity of a weld during service, the issue is its creep life, which is related somewhat to hardness. The higher the hardness the better the creep resistance of the weld. Experiments have shown that the HAZ is 20-30 points less than the weld metal which leads to cracking due to creep in the HAZ. This leads me back to my original post, “Typically, failures occur due to creep rupture in the softened portion of the HAZ.”

I have taken another look at my first post and I guess the real question is, does anyone know of a weld that has failed in servicee, due to high hardness in B9 weld metal.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / P91 weld crack