Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Ingenuiy and safety
- - By aevald (*****) Date 01-24-2011 05:29
Hello folks, I often get out in the community and work at some of the local shops to go along with my teaching duties at our community college. While I was working at this shop on a number of aluminum projects recently, others in the shop were "heavily" involved in the fabrication of some fairly sizeable truck dump systems for a local mill. To answer and address some of the logistics and safety of turning these frames the fabricators came up with this "rotisserie" system to simplify and provide an added degree of safety to the process. The frames are 90' plus in length and around 15' wide or so. Hook heighth on the cranes wouldn't readily allow for rigging and turning. So they used one crane to turn and the other to catch to allow for any balance and free-spin conditions. I have also used these photos to share with our students at the school to give a dimension of reality to the trade. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-24-2011 14:18
So simple and yet effective.  Safe as well.  Sometimes we try to think too complicated.  Thanks for sharing those Allan.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 01-24-2011 20:21
Nice Allan.  Looks like some good work.

Rod
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-24-2011 20:59
Hello Blaster, as I mentioned, I wasn't working on this particular run of dumps. However, a few years back, during the summer, I headed up a crew that built 2 similar systems. They were much heavier and we built them at another facility. Everything was fitted and fabricated in position as we were unable to turn them with the cranes that were available at that particular facility. Needed the facilities at Satsop that I believe you have spoken of in the past. Hope things are going smoothly up your way, we have been swamped again down here. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By weldstudent (**) Date 01-28-2011 17:15
BOY, O BOY, the BMT shop in Satsop is immense. They have the ability to tandem pick (if memory serves) one million pounds. The building is 390 thousand square feet. They have crane runs 600 feet long. There work is good and the place is HUGE.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 01-25-2011 02:59
The 3rd picture really shows the scale of this part.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-29-2011 00:24
That sure beats trusting some wore out dogs on the bridge crane.....or the old 3x3 angle propped up and tacked.  Small investment in time/material and a huge gain in safety and productivity.  Nice.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Ingenuiy and safety