Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Toolboxes for Rigbed?
- - By Caleb C. (**) Date 01-25-2011 21:27
Well i'm starting on my welding bed in my spare time. I would prefer to save time and just purchase some nice toolboxes instead of have to build them from scratch, but I haven't found quite what I am looking for yet. I would like 2 boxes on the rear as you see on most pipeline beds, but would like them to be a bit deeper/taller than most you see , so obviously they would stick up higher at 12-14" roughly. Problem is, I can't find many that are deeper than they are tall, many are 36wx14hx14d etc. I would prefer them to be 36Wx14Hx24D or something in that range. Those are also "underbody boxes" I am referring too, which open on the sides and hinge at the bottom, but i would just weld them onto the top of my bed. I'm still not sure If i would rather have that or a "top open" style as you see on most beds. I have looked at RKI, Delta, etc and none of them quite match what i'm wanting. Any good sources for quality pre-made boxes like I'm talking about? I appreciate the help.
Parent - By J Hall (***) Date 01-25-2011 22:08
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-25-2011 22:59 Edited 01-26-2011 00:10
They are all pretty standard but I have seen some places out there that will custom build them for you. I've got, ahem....tractor supply boxes on my....ahem..hayhauler(hehe). I believe they are 36" wide, 18" H, 18" D. They stick up high but then the bed is jacked up 8" off the frame with 4" channel. I've got them crammed full and still need more at times. I've never used top loader style but with what tools I have and what I do I don't think I would like them, to much stuff would be in the bottom or having to drag out stuff piled on top of stuff to get to the stuff underneath!

Seems like there was a place out in Oregon or Washington State, did aluminum boxes for big trucks, built like tanks and from the looks of things very very well made, whoop, found it,

http://www.800toolbox.com/

They might custom build you one to your specs, worth a call but I'm hear to tell ya, the 36x18x18 like I wanted was pretty pricey, probably well worth it though.
Parent - - By HillbillyWelder (**) Date 01-26-2011 01:14
Look at industrial ladder.com. They have 18x18x30, 18x18x36 etc. also look at the shipping, it might be free to your area of Texas.
Parent - By JeremyW83 (***) Date 01-26-2011 02:09
You might also try doing a search of the site.  I wanna say that I remeber seeing a post a while back about somewhere that had coffin boxes for sale by themselves.  I think it might have been a rig bed manufacturer.
- By Caleb C. (**) Date 01-28-2011 00:52
I appreciate everyone's suggestions.

Caleb
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Toolboxes for Rigbed?