Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Weld symbol
- - By rhoople (*) Date 10-08-2002 20:29
I have a problem with a weld symbol, it has a dashed line above the reference line. Has anyone ever seen that before, and what does it meen?
Parent - - By Sean (**) Date 10-09-2002 00:40
I've seen a horizontal dashed line on some drawings that we have recently been involved in. It was on drawings from Europe. It might be a European welding symbol. Try searching the web and perhaps this website:
http://www.royweb.ic24.net/Useful_Tables/Drawing/Weld.html

Good luck, Sean
Parent - By rhoople (*) Date 10-09-2002 12:00
Thanx Sean, that web site was just what I was looking for. Funny thing though is that the drawing is not a European Dwg. so some smart ass detailer just wanted to mess with someone's head, I think.
Parent - - By jfolk (**) Date 10-09-2002 13:02
Is the arrow attached to the reference line pointing to a groove joint, and assuming this is a groove joint, indicating grinding or finishing the weld flush?
Parent - By rhoople (*) Date 10-16-2002 19:41
No, not a grind symbol. Just a dashed line running the length of the reference line.
Parent - - By pdweldor (*) Date 10-18-2002 18:32
It sounds like you have some European welding symbols. Is the drawing from a European country or company? Unfortuneately, I cant give you a good website on this one. The dashed line, if it is on the other side of the reference line from the symbol, is indicating an "arrow side" weld. A dashed line on the same side as the symbol indicates that it is a "other side" weld. The Eurpoean symbol system is very different from the AWS, and I personally find it much more difficult than the AWS system. These symbols are covered by ISO Standard 2553.

Regards
Parent - By adavis (*) Date 11-01-2002 21:02
ISO 2553 = EN 22553 is under revision and the dashed line may go away. BUT consider the dashed lien as being the hidden line in a technical drawing and anything that is placed on this is on the hidden side or "other side" to which the arrow points. The solid line is what is visisble and thus is the "arow side". Other than this, there is little that is different in ISO 2553 to AWS A2.4 - I am the Secretary of the group revising ISO 2553 and trying to get more AWS A2.4 in it. For more information e-mail me at adavis@aws.org
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Weld symbol