Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / SUMMARY
- - By weldstudent (**) Date 01-26-2011 16:45
So I took my test did good enough to pass and get a job but not as good as i wanted to do. Unfortunately there was a lack of 1/16" and 1/8" wire all together. it seems the individual i talked to was even less informed than I previously thought. I tested with .035 ER70s-6, and .045 metal core can’t remember the AWS off hand. The test was small fillet welds nothing over 5/16", all in the flat position.

Levi
Parent - By rcwelding (***) Date 01-26-2011 16:53
Congrats..!!  Weldstudent... Ya .035 is just a touch smaller than 1/8 wire..!!  Hope the job works out good for you..!!

RC
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-26-2011 16:56
Hello Levi, is that with Genie Industries by any chance? Just wondering. Good job and regards, Allan
Parent - - By weldstudent (**) Date 01-26-2011 17:47
Yes it is. Good guess.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 01-26-2011 19:17
Hello again Levi, I believe you will be exposed to plenty of learning opportunities at their facilities. I have never worked there, however, I was on a fairly extensive tour of the facilities and they do appear to have their act together and support their workers toward achieving quality as well as quantity. They also appeared to be very health conscious. Ergonomics were good, proper equipment was available to limit undue stresses and strains on employees in a physical sense(cranes, forklifts, and other product moving equipment and methods appeared to be readily available). So have a good time at your new job and try to learn something new everyday. Hone your obversation skills, but don't let that get in the way of your production while you're doing it. If you get a chance try to let us know about some of your adventures. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-26-2011 17:22
Well done Levi!

I love it when a plan comes together!
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-26-2011 17:34
Congrats Levi! I remember the feeling when you pass that first one, On top of the world! Good luck!

Shawn
- - By joe pirie (***) Date 01-26-2011 17:46
well at least you didn't get a 6GR like Ronnie Taylor  lol
good luck to you
Parent - - By weldstudent (**) Date 01-26-2011 17:49
I would welcome the 6GR but i would try not to use the torch to put all that carbon on the weld before i began.
Parent - - By rcwelding (***) Date 01-26-2011 18:06 Edited 01-27-2011 14:15
Look closer at his torch picture.. Its a straight head carbon reducer torch..!!

The right angle torch head creates excessive gas travel and causes the gas mixture to compound and induce carbon inclusion..

The straight head has a flame retarder in it that slows the gas speed causing the flame to come out in a complex deflection pattern, this creates what is called ( intelligent pre-heat technology ) or ( IPT )   This type of torch is required for all D.1 6GR qualification test..!!

They should have taught you that in school.. 

EDIT... Ok weldstudent I cant let it go any longer..!!  I am totally full of beans..!! There is no such thing as ( IPT ) torch..
     I was hoping some of these old timers on here would holler BS on me and we could all have a good laugh over it.. I hope you knew I was full of beans..!!

Congrats again on the job..!! I hope you do well there..!!

RC
Parent - By joe pirie (***) Date 01-26-2011 19:06
never taught me that in school  lol but thanks for the lesson
Parent - By weldstudent (**) Date 01-28-2011 17:06
Well I was going to say you are wrong about the torch and the test but there is a lot of knowledge out there I have not been exposed to and I could not say you are blowing smoke unless I was sure of the fact. No need to piss someone off because I don’t know. But a well written story, sounds like it could be true.
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 01-28-2011 20:23
Ha ha.

I was waiting to see how that one turned out.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-28-2011 22:49
That's great, sounds like it could be the truth! Intelligent pre-heat technology, Lmao!
Parent - By rcwelding (***) Date 01-29-2011 00:36
LOL... Sorry to pull that on you weldstudent...!! 

I can BS my way into the White House if I want to but the more you do it the worse it gets, then you start believing your own lies..!!

I have missed a few opportunities because I wont lie or BS my way into it... Not for lack of know how but I just don't want to go down that road or live that life..!!

Every now and then it is fun to run a line of BS to see what people will say but I always have to come clean after a little bit..!!  LOL..!!

Sorry for pulling your chain weldstudent...  Glad you got the job..!!!

RC
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / SUMMARY