Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / oxy/acetylene basics 101
- - By Goose (**) Date 10-09-2002 16:57
I'm looking to eventually purchase an oxy/acetylene torch outfit. I have used them in the past, but don't really know much about the different brands, sizes, tips, bottles, carts, etc.

I went to my local supply house today to get my Mig bottle filled and asked a few questions about initial costs. I was informed of what the bottle lease costs, filling costs, cart cost, and some very general prices on two Victor outfits.

Can anyone give me a basic run-down of brands to look for, what size I need, what tips to include, and what I should expect to pay for a setup including hoses, regulators, etc? What kind of eye protection is recommended? Goggles I'd assume, but do they come in different shades like arc welding helmets do?

Any input would be appreciated.

BTW, this will be used for my home/race/fab shop to heat metal for bending/heat straightening, and some cutting. i doubt I would ever work with any steel thicker than 1/2"...maybe some 1" solid bar stock on occasion (to bend).

thanks
Todd
http://www.malbumotorsports.cjb.net
Parent - By Wildturkey (**) Date 10-09-2002 17:23
Well Goose choosing a brand will be left up to you. Personally I like Smith. I think both Smith and Victor have lifetime warranties now. My suggestion is to go with a light to medium duty torch, based on what you described it will be used for. These are lighter than the heavy-duty torches and will help you keep a steady hand. As far as price goes I can't help you there because I would only be guessing. For eye protection I believe a shade 2.5 -5 is acceptable. Make shure you read the manual or visit the manufactures web site to verify this. A 00 tip should work well for you.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-09-2002 21:51

Goose and Turkey!

Do you two get a bit nervous this time of year?

Sorry, I hope I haven't caused a *flap*

Smith & Victor both are Solid American Brass! Go with the one that you feel can get serviced with greatest ease.

All I have at home is Oxy-Fuel (otherwise I would have no peace).

If you buy the Victor rig... I suggest spending the extra $$$ and getting a rig with both Check Valves and Spark Arrresters built into the torch. Also insist they include with your purchase the Victor training Video "Oxy-fuel SAFETY its not an OPTION" It goes over setup teardown and leak check, It even has a demonstration of a flashback meltdown in a large rosebud! Even after all these years I learned more than one thing by viewing this video. He goes step by step and makes no mistakes. I've seen errors in just about every other safety video.

With the right tip you can weld 1/2 inch boiler plate!
Parent - By dee (***) Date 10-09-2002 23:57
Goose,
I accept "Lawrence"s advice. All else being equal perhaps consider the balance and feel of the torch in your hand; for what you describe you need, a cutting head, a selection of cutting nozzles (there are all kinds of cutting nozzle sizes and variations), and the mixing handle will be used the most. I have had torches which had valves in inconvenient places where heavy sleeves and gloves always seemed to knock them out of adjustment in use, so give that a thought while making your selection.

Balance and easy control in your hand; you dont want to fight your tools. Otherwise, a reputable brand with good local support... that's pretty much what "L" said.

Regards,
D
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-10-2002 02:40

Just a note which came to mind when I re-read your original post.

Since you may be doing flame straightening/bending on some semi thick stuff keep in mind.

At no time should the withdrawl rate of your acetylene cylinder exceed 1/7th of the cylinder contents per hour. This means simply that if you are going to use a rosebud that a very small fuel gas cylinder may not be sufficient. Your supplier will be able to advise you when it comes time to get your bottles, just make sure you let him know in detail the maximums as far as heating and bending requirements your going to have. The draw rates for specific types of tips and multi-flames will be outlined in the manufactures specs. or in Victors "Welding, Cutting & Heating Guide"
Parent - - By Goose (**) Date 10-12-2002 21:42
Thanks everyone for your input.

I went today and purchased the Victor torch set which included a cutting tip and one heating/welding tip. The supply house I deal with also threw in the Victor safety video as well as a tip cleaning kit and the tip chart cards. I also purchased a nice bottle cart and leased the two bottles, so I have a complete setup now.

I wanted to use some scrap metal to practice some heat shrinking/straightening before tackling the frame of my car trailer project. During the setup, I purged each bottle before attaching the regulators and found the acetlyene bottle is likely empty as I go no pressure with or without the regulator gauge. I could smell something coming out, but no pressure what-so-ever:(. I guess I'll have to wait till the first of the week to exchange the bottle before I can again try to practice some heat straightening/shrinking.

BTW, do most supply houses sell/supply the special square drive tool to open the acetylene tank? I must have forgotten that when I picked up everything this morning. I was able to cobble up a 3/8" racthet/socket combo to do the initial opening, but that would be combersome to use all the time.

Thanks again everyone.
Todd
http://www.malibumotorsports.cjb.net
Parent - By Jay Krout (*) Date 10-13-2002 00:45
Goose; If they gave you an empty bottle I would see if you can get a full one without having to pay for it. Nobody should start off a lease with an empty. The only way you start off with an empty is if you buy the bottle. They should have the wrench for the bottle, there are wrenches available that have a spot for every connection on your torch outfit, try and get a cast one if you get one like that, they fit better and don't mess up the nuts as much. Have fun with it and be safe J. Krout
Parent - By thepowerofblue (**) Date 07-26-2003 21:14
this post is a little bit too late but I had purchased a brand new Victor Performer and it has done wonders from cutting oil field pipe,plate,tubing,rod,knotching pipe for pens for my cattle for the farm and it only has 250 series regulators but you can do more than enough light to industrial work than you can imagine with the performer set as for hose I have a 50 foot grade r hose with an additional 25 feet for the needed oil field and around the farm applications,i have a custom welded cart with Automobile tires and it's really neat as for the oxy acetylene cylinders in my shop I have 244 Cubic feet Oxygen and 145 Cubic feet Acetylene cylinders even though they are mine forever and that I dont pay rent on them but most people on this website don't need them and if you think you need them because it looks cool when your driving on the road with those big ol clumsy tanks then I guess it will be up to you.I reccomend the cylinders like a 120 cubic feet Oxygen and 70 cubic feet Acetylene but i got my cylinders all from Natwel Supply in San Antonio,Texas
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / oxy/acetylene basics 101