Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / D1.1 UT Question/ Problem
- - By eekpod (****) Date 01-27-2011 23:38 Edited 01-27-2011 23:43
Everyone-long story shortened.
Owner sends UT levelII to UT shearwave CJP welds with permanent steel backing TC-U4a in 3/8" plate 1/4" root opening.  My UT guy we've used for 10 yrs pre-checked the welds said they are fine.   
The owners UT guy said there rejected.  My UT guys looks at his screen and the owners UT tech referance level is 60 Db and he turns it up to 67 Db to scan becasue his words " plus 14 Db is too high, too much grass can't see clearly".  Also his gate is set at 40% screen height, 70 degree snail wedge 2.25Mgh transducer.

My UT guy is all over jumping up and down saying this guy is scanning WAY to high and thats why he's rejecting everything.  My UT guy scans around 24 DB (I don't remember exact setting here at home but its close in the 20's) and his gate is set at 80% screen height.
I contacted my Level III to get 3rd opinion, he sends a third levell II that he knows and trusts and they match my guys results that the welds pass, and agrees this guy is scanning way too high.

Weld process is GMAW, in the 1G position.

Is it true ASNT-TC-1A has a blurb about resolution in a dispute? I'll look it up at work toomorrow.
UT techs, whats your thought? is 60 referance level 67Db high?
Any input either way would be appreciated.
Thanks
Parent - By gndchuck (**) Date 01-28-2011 01:10
The only time that we ever use anything over 40 db is for flooded members in the water, everything else that we do is around the low 20's.  Not sure why he's going that high for, but everyone learns a different way.

Charles
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 01-28-2011 02:32
Better check that guy papers, might be a fake.
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 01-28-2011 17:36
I do know one thing - it is a serious matter to challenge the owner's UT tech.  It's even worse if it turns out he was right ("egg-on-face" that is).

Since the owner hired the tech, he might not have to produce documentation for your satisfaction, nor show that he has a procedure.  Afterall, he is satisfying his client and not you.  The same party that you need to satisfy.

Having said that, I think your best bet is to diplomatically present your case to the owner. 
You have consulted your Level III and his recommended Level II scanned the work with acceptable results.  Your guy with 10+ years of UT experience found acceptable results. Something is not quite right.  "Naturally, you want to produce a good product but you don't want to chase issues that might not be valid."

It would be great if you can have your Level III check it himself.

If the suggestion to remove the backing and re-scan is practical for you, I would do so.  Then if you get good results, you can chalk that up to good faith effort to resolve the problem - good teamwork on your part.  But if you have a lot more CJP joints to do, and the owner then wants all backing removed, naturally there would be a change-order to cover your additional costs.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-28-2011 21:27 Edited 01-28-2011 21:31
My USN58 is set with the reference level at 64dB set at 50% FSH, and I scan according to the chart at the bottom of the page of Table 6.2 which is dependant on the sound path length.....through 2.5 inches = 14db above my 64db ref.

My older USN50 had a ref level of 47dB at 50% FSH.....

So to answer your question, yes, I have my newer machine set a bit higher than your TPI.

Maybe get your UT guy and the TPI to set up(calibrate) off the same IIW block, I mean check both verify the BIP, verify the Angle, verify the Distance, and verify the Sensitivity and then see where each machine ends up....note the differences and go inspect the joint again.

edit: Someone else mentioned that he might be calling the backing bar...maybe...so use the sound path and some trig(just bypass the trig in the machine for this situation)...map it out and see where the sound is going. I use ACAD when in doubt, but graph paper will work as long as you keep everything to scale.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 01-31-2011 01:23
Based on what your stating here, my money is on the owners TPI findings. Scanning at 24DB??? Having said that, the TPI may be closer to the truth, but something smells fishy about them as well. In all, it may behoove you to contact another independent group to assess the group you have been using. I have to call BS on 24DB scanning level. Not to mention this statement "plus 14 Db is too high". The code is an equal opportunity offender, and not subject to technician alteration due to opinion. It can only change if both parties agree to it in which case its not 'D1.1' UT.
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 02-03-2011 01:43
Just wondering if you have resolved this issue yet, and what you discovered?

I would have to agree that the 24dB is pretty low for scanning. Although technically... you should be able to scan at reference level as long as you are slow and careful.  For what it's worth, I do have some analog scopes that come in lower than the digitals, and I have a couple of transducers from NDT Instruments that are hotter than my KB ones.... so equipment does make a difference.

Besides accurate plotting, it might be a good idea to size down the transducer and bump the Mhz in order to evaluate the indication better. the Code will allow this, with the Level III's blessing.  Let's face it, a 5/8 X 5/8 probe is a big beam for 3/8" material.... Maybe a 1/4" or 3/8" 5 MHz would be a wiser selection for evaluation.

~thirdeye~
- - By tbigtdav (*) Date 01-28-2011 03:58
Regardless of what his DB level is this guy should be calibrating to a standard reference block. Here in the states, all UT techs i have come across calibrate there machines to between 40+ and 60+ db for a reference level. This depends on various things such as temperature, machine, transducer, cables and the list goes on. As for the gate that is operator preference as long as calibration reference height is within code tolerance. Sounds like he may be calling the backing bar.

Regards
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-28-2011 05:03
Where is the written procedure?

Since you posted in the D1 section and you reference D1.1, I assume you are testing to the requirements of clause 6. The procedures to be followed are delineated in D1.1 with directions on the calibration of the test instrument, frequency of calibration, etc. The scanning technique is spelled out as well as the db to be used for scanning once the reference level has been determined while setting the instrument up on the 1/16 inch diameter side drilled hole. Setting sensitivity on the reference hole will determine the reference level to which all reflectors are compared. Each machine is different and the type of transducer and wedge will influence the reference level.

The rating system is used to either accept or reject the indication based on the amplitude of the signal relative to reference. If the technician cannot show you how he calculated the rating, it is time to find another technician. Make sure the technician is using the correct table for the weld service class, i.e., tension, compression, or cyclic loading.

I map out indications when there is any doubt as to what is causing the reflection. I use my AutoCad program on my laptop to map exactly what the source of the signal is. It takes time, but when there is a question regarding the source of a reflector, my time is less expensive than the cost of cutting out a "good" weld and making a new weld. It provides the client with the warm fuzzy feeling that I have half an idea of what I'm doing. It helps to build my client's confidence that I am not calling good welds bad and inccuring needless additional expense and lost production time.  The technician should be able to map the location of the reflector if he is payng attention to his technique and plots the surface distance from the transducer as well as the depth. That should provide a good idea of whether the reflector is the backing or something other than the backing.

Best regards  - Al
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 01-28-2011 11:57 Edited 01-28-2011 13:25
Thanks for the input everyone.
I just asked him if he has a copy of his procedures and he doesn't, "they are for office, only levell III needs". We discussed why he would need them and he says he doesnt need them, and when I asked "would you use the same procedure for 3/8" plate vs 3" plate ? wouldlnt you need a different procedure" he said no.  Again, this is not my area of expertience.
When it came time to locate the disc. he kept saying per the number on his screen that it was the root. 
I didn't see anyhting in ASNT-TC-1A that mentions arbitration.  I will get with the GC and the outside guys boss in awhile.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-28-2011 14:30
Ask him to map out the indication. He may be right with regards to the location of the reflector, that is it is in the root, but is it a defect or is it the backing bar? You could easily have a slag inclusion or incomplete fusion where the backing bar is located.

If there is an unresolved difference in opinion, remove the backing bar and retest the joint (assuming the root side is accessible). You might even consider checking the root of the joint with MT once the backing is removed.

While we are on the subject of NDT, what did you ask the laboratory to provide in the way of documentation? Did you ask for a copy of their written practice, a copy of the technician's certifications, or a copy of the written NDT procedure? If not, why not? When you hire a truck driver, would you ask to see his driver's license or would you ask a welder for a copy of his most recent "certification?"

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 01-28-2011 15:19
AWS SECTION 6.25.5.2  REFERENCE LEVEL SHALL SENSIVITY SHALL  BE ADJUSTED TO BETWEEN 40 TO 60% SCREEN HEIGHT. RECORD DB READING

TO FIGURE OUT YOUR TESTING LEVEL YOU NEED TO FIGURE OUT YOUR SOUND PATH BASED ON THE THICKNESS OF MATERIAL. THEN YOU LOOK
UP YOUR SOUND PATH DISTANCE ON CHART 6.13.1 THAT WILL TELL YOU HOW MANY DECIBLES ABOVE ZERO REFERENCE YOU MUST SCAN AT AS PER
D1.1  NOTE: THERE ARE TWO DIFFERENT CHARTS ONE FOR STATICALLY LOADED AND ONE FOR CYCLIC LOADED

TO FIGURE OUT THE RIGHT TRANDUCER ANGLE YOU MUST USE TABLE 6.7 BASED ON MATERIAL THICKNESS

i LIKE TO SET MY SCREEN HEIGHT AT APPROX 45% HOPE THIS HELPS  JOE
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 01-28-2011 20:35
Am I entitiled to ask for a third party's certification papers??

I didnt hire him and he doesnt work for, but certainly his decisions affect me.  Still do I have the authorization do view them?
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 02-04-2011 03:42
The Owner will not give it to you and I don’t think the idea of viewing the TPI’s certification will solve your problem.

However, if you really need it for your personal interest, you may ask for his RESUME with certificates from his company. Tell his Boss that you’re aiming for overseas project and would like to get general quotation and want CVs for future engagement of TPI :)

smart a$$ advise from smokey mountain :) :)
- - By joe pirie (***) Date 01-29-2011 02:00
if your ut man is scanning at 24db that would mean according to aws that he got his sensitivity
ref level at 10 db. lol  you also said your guy had his gate set at 80% i don't think its possible
to get a reading of 10db  at 80% screen height i doubt that 10 db would be enough to even pickup
the hole  on the iic block and register anything. The owners ut tech's numbers seem right in line with the ut machines
i have used and in compliance with aws section 6 . Your UT techs numbers do not meet the parameters of aws.
on what basis is he rejecting the weld what class is the indication. what is the depth and length of the discontuity
just like  a wps for making a weld you need some sort of UT procedure outlineing calibration, flaw sizing etc.
you can't just set your machine where you feel like it to get the results you want to see.
Parent - By cepennington (*) Date 01-29-2011 18:40
I agree with Joe. Some of the old USK-7 machines would ref. at around 24 or so, but the scan level would be at least 38 depending on the sound path. Most of the newer machines will ref. at around 45 to 65 depending on the machine, transducer, cable, tempature, couplant, ect. Either way you have to scan at least 14db over your ref. level. The excuse of too much grass is BS. Once a signal is detected, the gain will be turned back down to evaluate the indication based on the set ref. level. Indications are easily skipped when the scan level is too low. The owners guy  sounds like he may be closer to being right, however, he should always have a copy of his procedures in the truck with him. All NDT labs should have an SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) manual which each inspector should have a copy of. If he can't at least produce his SOP within a day or two, something is wrong about that lab. Labs should have an SOP which contains a written practice outlining their training and certification procedures. All of this is required to be performing NDT in accordance with ASNT SNT-TC-1A. If the guy is rejecting your work, you have every right to ask for a copy of his certifications, procedures, and written practice.
I have heard the backing bar thing many times. If the flaw is detected in the first leg, it is not the backing bar. If the flaw is detected in the first part of the second leg, the inspector should back up to see if it can be seen in the third leg. If it can be seen in the third leg, it is not the backing bar. Also, the weld can be checked from face A and face B, or the weld can be ground smooth to see if the indication can be seen in the first leg.
- - By L51174 (**) Date 02-14-2011 16:33
Sounds to me like niether one of them really have a firm grasp on what they are doing. Has anyone opened a D1.1 and read section six part F? My reference level (on a USM35) usually ends up around 54dB, and scanning at +20, = 74dB, no grass, if your techs can figure out the damping and power controls they can make it work. Your guy is just wrong, period. Sorry.

24dB is way to low, as stated before.
Parent - - By dmilesdot (**) Date 02-16-2011 15:05
I would suggest that all parties involved sit down with the code book and look at what it says. It really does not matter where you start with (your reference db) what matters is correctly adding the amout of gain (db) to do your scanning.  When you find an indication it is compared to the reference db, at that point scanning db is a moot point.  After the indication is brought to reference, that number becomes what you subtract reference from, and then attenuation from, to achieve your rating. (a-b-c= D) If the A-B-C = D thing throws you, those letters come from the D1.1/D1.5 report form.
The main thing is that when one tech says accept and another says reject, its time to sit down and figure out if everyone is on the same page.
Hope this helps.
D
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 02-16-2011 16:15
It doesn't matter where you set your ref db!!  please state what section in the code you found this.
section 6.29.2.4  AWS .1 2008 clearly states that the reference level shall be attained by  by getting
a maximium db reading from position A on a IIW Block that is your reference level B on the form
I strongly disagree with your  really doesnt matter statement
Parent - By dmilesdot (**) Date 02-16-2011 16:20
Joe, I guess I could have been a little clearer.  What I should have said is that it doesnt matter if it takes setting your instrument at 35 db or 70 db to get the reference level to between 40 and 80 per cent screen height.  What matters is that you increase from that point to correspond to the correct metal path for your scanning point. Sorry if that was confusing.
D
Parent - - By L51174 (**) Date 02-16-2011 16:45
I agree except the term is MAXIMIZED, which could be misleading, it definitely doesnt mean 100% screen height, you could maximize the signal at 20 or 30 or 40 or 50%, record the db reading as reference level.

We are a manufacturing facility, and have on occasion brought in contract inspectors to help us catch up, or vendors inspectors who had missed a bunch of stuff on welded components we purchase. I had one guy (contractor used by a vendor) give me a sideways look and ask, "why are you scanning at +20dB?" I showed him the door. Now none of them touch a transducer until they pass a practical here, the first step of which is calibration. And they better have a written procedure in their hand, and it will be reviewed by me. I dont care who they represent, or what kind of paper they are carrying. Been in this business too long to believe that every level II certified UT tech is proficient in every code / procedure requirement, especially when it comes to shearwave inspection.

I also wonder how the guy who said "+14 is too high" ever got past the practical portion of his certification exam.

As stated before, a written procedure which is in compliance with whatever code you're working too is a MUST, and the level III who wrote or approved that procedure should be available for questions or concerns.

Joe, I hope you dont take my first sentence the wrong way, I'm sure we're saying the same thing. I've just seen alot of techs misinterpret maximized to mean 100% FSH.
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 02-16-2011 18:12
I set my horizontal ref line  at 45% FSH. I get a maximimum db reading on the ref block then back my db down till it
peaks at the 45% ref line .  This puts me within the guidelines of AWS 6.25.5.2 40 to 60 %  not 80%This is the db # used as line B on the AWS form. Then I go to table 6.2 or 6.3  depending wheather or not it's cyclically loaded or static loaded. Based on the thickness of the material beiong scanned i figure out the  soundpath i believe the part
being scanned was .375 thick so .375 divided by the cosine of 70 deg =1.096 which would mean scannning level would be at +14 from ref level
for static load  or + 20 for cyclically load. now according to the original poster he stated that his man was scanning at 24db  that would mean he
would have a horizontal ref level db reading of 10 db or 4db to be compliant with AWS.  at that low of a db setting you can not reach 40 to 60
% screen height to establish a  correct ref level I rest my case. by the way whatever happened in this situation id be real interested to hear the outcome.
Parent - - By L51174 (**) Date 02-16-2011 18:33
I knew we were saying the same thing lol,

Yeah what happened?
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 02-23-2011 22:42
just to wrap up this situation, we got both level III's together (my guy) and theirs, they calibrated his untis in front of everyone, and hem and hawed, long story short, we lost and had to repair the members.  Our guy changed his mind and said he missed it.  I have no hard feelings toward him... it happens.  I'm just glad I have a decision and have since moved on. It was very stressful and I'm glad its done, didn't go the way I had hoped but oh well win some loose some. Life goes on.
Thanks for all your input though.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / D1.1 UT Question/ Problem