Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / welding Mn to T-1 steel
- - By zambrota (**) Date 01-28-2011 04:19
I have to weld austenitic manganese steel to T-1 type steel. It’s full penetration butt weld in 75mm plate. I’m after any advice regarding choice of welding process, welding methodology, joint type (double “V”?) and welding consumable selection.

Thanks
Parent - - By ravi theCobra (**) Date 01-28-2011 16:53
use a double " v " prep.  If you can get it weld witn type 307 rod  or type 309.

Is the T -1 for strength or abrasion resistance ?  Are you going to use electrodes  or MIG ?
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 01-28-2011 20:10
In the Coal Mine, we had no procedure, it was "we've always done it this way and it works"..On a similar configuration and materials it would have been a Double "V" 60* included angle, 400F preheat, SMAW E309-15, no PWHT.
This was for high impact and abrasion service, i.e. dragline and shovel bucket leading edge (MN) to (T1) disposable floor liner.
Parent - By zambrota (**) Date 01-30-2011 04:51
It is T-1 for abrasion resistance. I would use MIG proces, 1.2mm wire.
Parent - - By zambrota (**) Date 01-31-2011 04:13
Would you prefer ER307 or ER309 welding wire in disimillar steel combination and why?

Thanks
Parent - - By ravi theCobra (**) Date 01-31-2011 16:46
T 309  is generally OK  -   Type 307 is material for walding Armor Plate 

We had a place that carried that stuff as it was an OK  popular rod for welding armor plate
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 01-31-2011 19:25
309 is a sort of a "Magic wire" due to it's high Nickel content..multi purpose as it were. I have even used it on cast iron repairs.
Parent - By Victor Taylor Taylor Date 01-31-2011 20:32
309L electrode will work.  308L or 312 would be better.  Manganese steel will precipitate carbides and crack if the interpass temperature isn't controlled.  Because of that, the preheat and interpass temperatures should be kept to a minimum.  I always used 300 deg. F maximum interpass as a rule of thumb for manganese but you can probably go up to 400 deg. F. as long as you monitor the interpass and keep it at or below this temperature.  Shouldn't be too hard at the thickness you are welding.

Note that the preheat and interpass for T-1 also should not be any higher than 400 deg. F, if the joint is highly restrained and 200 deg. F. if it isn't.  This is to avoid losing strength along the weld joint by exceeding the original T-1 tempering temperature.

Probably, at the thickness you are working with, the heat input doesn't need to be monitored as long as you use a process like SMAW or FCAW for the welding.  You could probably also get away with SAW with a 1/8" wire.  For me, the thickness is too high to recommend GMAW.  I agree the double Vee joint type is preferable since you want to keep the total amount of weld to a minimum.

If localized hardness or strength of the T-1 is an issue, it's always best to run a test weld and do the appropriate mechanical and hardness tests.

Regards...
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / welding Mn to T-1 steel