Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Etching Stainless Steels
- - By kam (**) Date 10-09-2002 20:02
Looking for a good reliable way to etch various types of stainless steel. Tryed various solutions but having mixed results....sometimes they etch...sometimes they dont. Bought an electro polisher and etcher and still having the same results. All I want to see is grain structure. Types of steels i'm looking at are the following: 304, 308, 309, 409 & 18crcb. Have tryed villias regent, 30% nitric & A2 solution for the polishing step. Would also like to have something somewhat user friendly...not to wild about using picric acid.

thanks

kam
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 10-10-2002 01:24
Use Aqua Regia - the mixture is 2 parts HCl to 1 part HNO3. You'll have to mix it fresh for the day you want to use it. Starts breaking down and getting weak if you try to keep it premixed for more than a few days.

Marty
Parent - - By wesley (*) Date 10-11-2002 10:54
Good Question. Now my question is where does one obtain such chemicals, and is there some book available to instruct in all of the etching process. Thanks, Wesley
Parent - By rhoople (*) Date 10-16-2002 19:30
Where to by the chem's. try Cole-Parmer. As for the different etchants, look in annex G of the AWS D1.6-1999 stainless code book. Might help.
Parent - By pdweldor (*) Date 10-18-2002 18:24
10% Oxalic Acid in water electrolytic is the best for 300 series stainless. 10g oxalic acid / 100 Ml of water. Etch at 6 -10V until desired structure is present.
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 10-18-2002 19:47
Mr. Rogerio Lopes da Silva, Metallurgical Lab. Technician of Mackenzie University at Sao Paulo, recommends the following etching solution: a mixture of 10 milliliters of nitric acid, 10 milliliters of acetic acid, 15 milliliters of hydrochloric acid, all of them concentrated, plus two drops of glycerine.
The following precautions should be taken when preparing and using it:
Use fresh, never store for a long time (that's why you should prepare a small quantity).
Discard when it takes an orange color.
Use with care, if possible under a ventilated hood.
Add the nitric acid last.
Inmerse the coupon for a few seconds to one minute maximum.
Sorry, I don't know where those reagents can be bought in the U.S.A.

Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil

Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Etching Stainless Steels