Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Before and After
- - By empire welding (**) Date 01-30-2011 18:16
I can't believe some of the garbage people pay for.
Attachment: LiftingHook.jpg (217k)
Attachment: liftinghook2.jpg (144k)
Attachment: NewHook.jpg - I can't get my new Droid X to Focus (201k)
Attachment: NewHook2.jpg (264k)
Parent - - By rcwelding (***) Date 01-30-2011 18:34
That looks pretty good but yours doesn't have that cool none slip texture to it.. What the heck..?? LOL..!!
Parent - By empire welding (**) Date 01-30-2011 18:43
They must have charged extra for that.  The only thing I could think is that they were using inner-shield with out changing polarity.  Job Security:)
Parent - - By Iron Head 49 (***) Date 01-30-2011 18:56
Nice job there empire welding! I know what you mean about the quality of work done by some.

Watch the very end of this video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcifJkhXpMM
Parent - - By Pickupman (***) Date 01-30-2011 20:18
Beautiful weld empire, I have no doubts about the quality of YOUR work, the hook itself though I dunno. It has that cheesy, somewhat foreign look. Like it was made oversees someplace.:-)
Parent - By empire welding (**) Date 01-31-2011 05:22
Thats a genuine chinese handi-work there.  I usually use Gunnebo brand but my supplier was out of stock. Thanks for all the compliments.  I have learned a lot from everyone here.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 01-31-2011 01:12
If that lug pulled off, I am pretty sure it would leave a mark where ever it hit...
Parent - By weldstudent (**) Date 01-30-2011 20:16
Well the welds will hold but im not too sure about the hook from CHINA LMAO. looks better than it did.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 01-31-2011 01:18
The old hook looks like they used solid wire, C02 gas & globular transfer, and not enough "I give a sh_t".

Yours looks like You gave a sh_t.

As to the integrity of the new hook itself [others commented on it], if the customer  requested or supplied it, You pretty well have to use it.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-31-2011 22:21
You nailed it there Dave, "globular". Looks like somebody spilled a bag of bb's.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-01-2011 02:52
At thhe auto frame plant the heavy weldments were all welded with CO2 and globular transfer. This gives a hot deep penetrating arc, but leaves a mess to clean up afterwards.

The weld deposits were fine, but the weldments did look like someone painted them with super glue then dumped a bag of shot on them.

That was at a well paid, unionised, northern plant that hired no Mexicans and few Portoricans, and those were Yankee farmers & coal crackers doing the weklding...
- By awspartb (***) Date 01-31-2011 23:57 Edited 02-01-2011 00:03
Looks like some of the welding I saw working down South years ago.  Was that lug welded on one of those "English is a second language" jobs?  I bet the wage was around $14.26 an hour or less? 
Wrong polarity for sure.  I see you cut it off and replaced it.  Nice work with the corners.  Very nice welds but I would have put another 4 passes on it to bring it up to the edge.  Can't say I like seeing CHINA on the new hook but what are you going to do?  Everything is made over there these days and I deal with it all the time.  Even steam boiler tubes are made in Mexico these days.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Before and After