Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / crane on my rig
- - By rig welder6 (**) Date 01-30-2011 18:22
I have a IMT crane on my rig have had it on my rig for prob 2 months now and its the greatest thing in the world! and my back is in heaven.   Wondering if anybody else has one on their rigs and if anybody in ND knows of a parts supplier up here to get parts from if it goes down. Thanks
Parent - - By jffluxcore (**) Date 01-30-2011 18:29
How about pictures please.
Parent - By rig welder6 (**) Date 01-30-2011 22:44 Edited 01-30-2011 22:55
i gonna try, it says pics too big so i at a loss
Attachment: NDpics1.JPG (68k)
Attachment: NDpics-1.JPG (63k)
Attachment: NDpics2.JPG (63k)
Attachment: NDpics3.JPG (0B)
Attachment: NDpics4.JPG (68k)
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-31-2011 22:28
There's a welder near me that has an outfitted truck, 550, and he has a crane on it. Says it's the cats meow. He does/did a bunch of equipment repairs, conveyor stuff at quarry's and things like that, farm equipment. Not a bad thing to have, wish I had one about 2 weeks ago when I hung the monster dumpster gate.
Parent - - By rig welder6 (**) Date 02-01-2011 04:49
it is soooooooo nice and i dont have to worry about  A roughneck who thinks he can run a lift tryin to set somthin.  And it reaches out 22' i can load and unlaod my trailer too.
Parent - - By Rig Hand (***) Date 02-01-2011 05:42
I've heard, (so take it for what its worth) that those cranes are hard on a trucks suspension. You might want to make, or buy, some outriggers.
It does look really handy. Do you have a miller pipepro?
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 02-01-2011 08:47 Edited 02-01-2011 08:50
There may be some OSHA/DOT issues about having a crane on a truck and not being able to isolate the suspension with some outriggers.  Had a OSHA guy demand, that the crane truck my crew was using, get the wheels off the ground with the outriggers.
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-01-2011 17:17
OSHA has NO authority over a Independent Contractor working for yourself.
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 02-01-2011 20:46 Edited 02-02-2011 01:47
OSHA got a ruling in '07 regarding Independent Contractors.  Basically it says if you want to kill yourself by your own actions, go ahead but if your actions endanger anyone else on the work site they can fine you.  In our case there were other trades walking around our work area and the inspector considered our operation a hazard to other workers.  We had to put down the jacks to unload empty pallets and bins.
Parent - - By rcwelding (***) Date 02-01-2011 19:46
Rig welder6  I saw a guy that got two 5ton trailer jacks and built what was basically a (T) and ran it into his receiver hitch.. It worked pretty dang good...

Then I have seen where they put a receiver hitch on each edge of there truck and make a trailer jack with a stem that would slide into the couplers and away they went..

Both ideas worked well and a pretty cheep... Something like this but a tougher jack.. Scroll down about 3/4 of the way to removable outriggers..  ( WA-15 )

http://www.westernmule.com/astv_option.html

RC
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 02-01-2011 21:03 Edited 02-01-2011 21:05
Nice link, I like that fold away bumper crane just might order one for my own truck.
- - By PipeIt (**) Date 02-01-2011 11:56
Very nice I too noticed the squatting, may need to beef up rear suspension a bit, outriggers would be nice can't imagine the cost tho.
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 02-01-2011 16:55
Shouldn't cost too much to fab some outrigger for his truck.  My even gets some ideas/plans off the net somewhere.
- - By TozziWelding (**) Date 02-01-2011 12:23
I am building an F600 now and it is getting a crane, outriggers are a must if you plan on picking up anything bigger than a few hundred pounds.
Parent - - By rig welder6 (**) Date 02-01-2011 22:07
I have a PRO 300, the truck isnt squatting its in a hole on the ass end just over the edge of the ice build up by the boiler if you look close i have two trailer jacks one on each corner of the back of the bed so i set those dwn and crank them up as high as i can then go to work, and i have air bags to boot.  thanks for the input i appreciate it.  I have a annual DOT inspection so they havent said a word about it.
Parent - - By rcwelding (***) Date 02-01-2011 22:11
Ok your truck may not be squatting but that just looks ****** Cold..!!!!

Nice pictures..!!

RC
Parent - - By rig welder6 (**) Date 02-01-2011 22:26
it was above 0 that day with the crane out the day with the face mask it was a lil below 0 but not bad...thanks
Parent - - By rick harnish (***) Date 02-01-2011 23:09
I'm thinking if you took a gooseneck jack and welded it up under the corner the crane is on, it would work.You pull the pin and let it hang just off the ground, repin, and start cranking. Never done it, but seems feasable.
Parent - By rick harnish (***) Date 02-01-2011 23:12
And THEN I finish completely reading the above post about trailer jacks! Lol!
- - By tempwalls Date 02-02-2011 00:21
Nice pictures you got there...
Parent - - By jandlwelding Date 02-02-2011 02:32
I used trialer jacks on my truck built it in under the back bumper 4" all the way across and 33/4 inside to make them extend out
if i remember i will post some pics later
Parent - By 1mancrew (**) Date 02-02-2011 17:10
I've got a Dodge 3500 with an Auto Crane on it. I put a heavier spring pack in it to support the extra weight and I use two trailer jacks for outriggers. The crane never leaves the saddle without both outriggers down and the bed leveled out. I too have a pro 300 on my rig. I'll try to post some pics later on.
- - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 02-04-2011 16:34
Threr is a crane on my service truck.   I wouldn't have a truck without one.  I don't worry about the rules too much - they seem to be fairly unregulated - and I don't think you need to use outriggers as long as you use your head.  My suspension is not beefed up.  I can lift the welder out of my truck anywhere.  I use this piece of equipment almost daily.  There is nothing haywire about my outfit or the way I work.
Tom
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 02-04-2011 22:26
I was always jealous of the CAT service trucks with the autocrane on the side.  I figure if you can use one go for it...they are nothing but a lifesaver, especially if you work a lot by yourself.   I agree with Tom, I see outriggers on very few of them.  You could easily make some manual ones that pin in place though with some square tube.  I have seen a few nice trailers with them mounted on as well.   I had a tommy gate on an old Chevy I had once....I got a lot of use out of just that.
- By Dualie (***) Date 02-05-2011 04:22
i have seen the aftermath of heavy use of an autocrane on a truck that didnt have the outriggers.     After seeing several of those i personally wouldn't ever have one without the stabilizers.
- - By Sberry (***) Date 02-07-2011 14:55
I was wanting one for my service truck but don't much need it anymore as I have one on a flatbed. If I was out there pounding the ground every day I would surely have one, there is just no substitute for being able to lift at will. I beefed up the rear and the corner of my serve truck in anticipation of one, never scored the right deal though.
Parent - By rig welder6 (**) Date 02-07-2011 21:50
the two trailer jacks that i have on either corner of the back bed work awsome crank them dwn till they have tention on them and good to go.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / crane on my rig