Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / preheat temp instrument
- - By hburg rocket (*) Date 01-31-2011 20:24
what's a reasonable model/make of a portable temperature instrument for preheat/interpass checks that's good for field-use?  [obviously not too bulky for climbing around, etc.]
hburg rocket
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 01-31-2011 22:18
Harbor Freight sells one for about $20. I used one last week and it seemed to be fairly reliable when checked against temp sticks. About the size of a Chili dog.
Parent - By joe pirie (***) Date 02-01-2011 01:01
check the graingers catalog
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 02-01-2011 02:45
Your better off with Tempil Welding Temperature Crayons.  I just don't trust China junk to give consistent readings over time.  Just my opinion though, other people might trust them.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 02-01-2011 03:42
Yes, I highly trust Tempil stix, however, the owner of the company gave me the "el-cheapo" POS "ray gun" to use. Fortunately, the shop had temp stix on hand. Whether they are well made instruments, there is also the "black body" vs. shiny surface that can throw off readings too.
Along these same lines, I trust PH test strips for chemical strength. Used the digital units on that too with less than desirable results.
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 02-01-2011 09:33
Almost any calibrated hand held thermometer.

- - By malCWI (*) Date 02-05-2011 18:10
I've been using a Ryobi non contact thermometer and it seems pretty reliable. The issue I find with the tempsticks is you are never carring the correct range in your pocket. The Ryobi was approximately $70.00 at Home Depot and the upper side of temperature is 650 degrees F. What is the temperature range you are looking for are you working to a bridge code or just checking genral temperatures?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-07-2011 04:11
Compare the temperature reading obtained with the infrared thermometer and a temperature indicating crayon or thermal couple on the surface of the material to be checked just to be sure the IF thermometer is reading accurately.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / preheat temp instrument