Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / NR-233 & other FCAW electrodes
- - By sr_roy97 Date 02-01-2011 18:53
If I were to test on 1" plate using prequalified joint (B-U2a-GF) with NR-233 wire (.072") diameter.  Does that also qualify me to use NR-212 or NR-211?  I guess a more broad question would be, what does that qualify me on.  I understand that NR-233's specification is A5.20, as well as NR-211.  NR-212 is A5.29.  I hope I provided enough information where someone could help me out.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-01-2011 19:02
AWS D1.1:2010 Table 4.12 does not have the FCAW wire specification as an essential variable, so if you qualified with FCAW, you are qualified to weld with FCAW.

1" B-U2a-GF qualifies you to weld groove welds and fillet welds on thicknesses from 1/8 to unlimited with backing or back gouging. You didn't mention what position you tested in so I didn't comment on the positions qualified.
Parent - - By sr_roy97 Date 02-02-2011 12:08
I apparently didn't think my question out.  I am throroughly familiar with the positions, but we are primarily certifying in 3G(UP) & 4G positions.  I did notice that in Table 4.12 that FCAW specification is not an essential variable and was hoping that my interpretation was correct.  I guess I would have to assume then that if the EOR is specifying it to be a seismic weld then, the weld must be certified on a seismic wire (e.g. NR-232 or NR-233).  Otherwise, if nothing is specified by the EOR, if they've got FCAW certs, they are good for any FCAW electrode...is that a safe assumption, in your opinion?
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-02-2011 15:34
Right

For "Welder Performance Qualification"  FCAW is FCAW..    If they took their performance qualification test with Self-Shielded FCAW they are also qualified for Gas-Shielded FCAW..  If the welder Qualified with NR232, that same welder is also qualified for NR211 or E71T-1, or E71T-11 or E70T-1.

As long as the position and thickness of your welders performance qualification test records are also in compliance with the production WPS, you are golden.

Your not asking if the production WPS is valid so I won't speak to that.

Your posted assumption is safe in my opinion.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-02-2011 16:59
Your assumption is right on, when speaking of the "Welder Qualifications".

WPS qualification, and specified seismic electrode, and all of that, is another matter altogether.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 02-01-2011 20:23
Hello sr_roy97, I believe there are some stipulations where siesmic welds are being made where certification with self-shielded flux core wire is specific to electrode manufacturer and type. In the Pacific Northwest I commonly see folks testing with Lincoln NR 232, ESAB coreshield 8, and some of the other "seismic" rated wires and the certs are only valid for welds made with the wires they tested on. Don't know if this applies in your situation, My $.02 Best regards, Allan
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-01-2011 21:46
Good point Allan, I was assuming D1.1, but other codes could possibly vary with regards to Welder Qualification....

also, a engineer of record(EOR) could specify that all Welder Qualification/Certification shall be......"whatever they choose to specify".
Parent - By sr_roy97 Date 02-02-2011 12:09
That's a big part of the answer I was looking for, thank you.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / NR-233 & other FCAW electrodes