Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Determine an unknown radius/ plot a radius w/X Y coordinates
- - By aevald (*****) Date 02-01-2011 23:37 Edited 02-02-2011 00:02
Hello folks, working on this for the evening's topic in fabrication class and thought I'd share it here as well. Hopefully it is in an understandable format and can be of some use to those out there. Best regards, Allan

Edit: I guess I should put this into context as well. If you have a particular radius that you are trying to determine you could use a 1ft., 2ft., 3ft. rule, placed on the inside of the radius and then measure the distance from the center of the rule to the contact point perpendicular to it to provide some dimensions to work from to solve for the unknown radius using the information on the attached page.
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 02-01-2011 23:38 Edited 02-01-2011 23:41
Hi Allan

Did you forget to attach something?

Edit:  Ah, there it is.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 02-01-2011 23:43
Geez Blaster, were you waiting in the wings or something, I just posted this. LOL Best regards, Allan
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-01-2011 23:46
You have to be very fast with this bunch Allan.  You know how impatient we welders and inspectors are.  LOL!!

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 02-01-2011 23:47
I waited an entire minute!
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 02-02-2011 05:30
Well as often times occurs, I had a revelation during class. Actually, one of my students shared a "well kept" mathematical secret with me tonight. I probably should have been aware of this particular mathematical equation long before now, yet, as luck would have it, I had to wait until now to be made aware of it. The attachment that I originally shared in this post will certainly determine a missing radius, it takes a number of steps to complete and you need to follow right angle trig, pathagorean theorem, and perform lots of calculations and steps. The following equation and explanation is far simpler and works really well and quickly, don't even need a scientific calculator. So here it is for you to consider and enjoy hopefully, I know I will from here on out. Best regards, Allan
Attachment: RadiusDiametershortcut.bmp (571k)
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 02-03-2011 00:24
Hello everyone, here is a bit more to add to portions of this thread. I have included a number of attachments to describe and hopefully show how right angle trig. and other basic mathematical functions can help with certain layout and fabrication challenges. One example for this method might be to aid with plotting radius's on large cone sections where the radius is just too large to use a trammel method or similar direct measurement method. Another might have to do with providing a consistent arc for a truss or other sort of arched structure. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 02-03-2011 00:52
Allan

Another good one.   You know I am making a little digital book out of this stuff you keep posting to carry round on my phone.  Makes me look way way smarter then I am, keeps the young ones in line and on their toes.

THX
Tommy
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 02-03-2011 08:00
Thanks Tommy, I know you've got a host of unknown and hidden tricks of your own, refined and perfected over the course of your career. I'm still waiting for you to cough up and divulge them. What's really unfortunate is the number of "tricks" that are being lost when all of our fellow metalworkers and welders are retiring and not having an opportunity or outlet to share so much of what they have been using all of their lives. Worse yet, in many cases they are itching to share and no one has bothered to ask the right questions.
     I really only know a small minute portion of what has been, is, and will be a benefit to all of us in the future. I do continue to look for oportunities and ways to learn and share, you and so many others provide the platform and a lot of those answers. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By dnelson2031 (*) Date 02-04-2011 16:23 Edited 02-04-2011 21:11
Inspirational story Allan!  All students bring their life-long accumulation of experiences to the classroom.  Some are amazing.  Others are, well, interesting...

The first time I encountered a problem like this, I found the solution in Frankland's "Pipe Fitter's and Pipe Welder's Handbook."  He says that L = 2 x SQRT(A x B), where L is the chord length, while A + B = the circle's diameter.   To make the equation match the variables in your sketch, we have 2A = 2 x SQRT(B x C),  where A & B are known.  The goal is to find C because the diameter = B + C.

Your student's formula: Diameter = (A^2 + B^2)/B

Frankland's version: 2A = 2 x SQRT(B x C).  Manipulating Frankland's statement, we have: A = SQRT(B x C) → A^2 = B x C → C = A^2/B → B + C = B + A^2/B → B + C = B^2/B + A^2/B → B + C = (A^2 + B^2)/B

Since diameter = B + C, the last statement says the same thing as your student: Diameter = (A^2 + B^2)/B.

Frankland's general statement about chords and diameters is just one of his little gems.  It's on page #9 of the 1969 edition.  (I've got newer--and older--editions.  I just don't have them with me right now).

But there's an even more basic result from geometry that speaks to this problem.  It involves ANY two chords that intersect within a circle--not limited to right angles or diameters.  From this more fundamental Theorem, you can derive Frankland's formula AND (as I have tried to show here) your student's formula.  Maybe someone else would like to share it.  If not, I'll be back!
Parent - - By dnelson2031 (*) Date 02-05-2011 21:32
Hey all.  I'm back with an explanation of what I called "a more fundamental theorem" that can explain both Frankland's equation and Allan's student's equation.  It's called the Intersecting Chord Theorem.  I tried to find out more about its origin, but came up empty handed--I don't know who deserves the credit for this beautiful little theorem.  It simply states that, if chords intersect at a point P within a circle, as in the attached illustration, the products of the "pieces" of the chords will be equal.  In the picture, the product of lengths AP x BP = CP x DP.  It works for all intersecting chords, not just those at right angles.

In Allan's original "find the diameter" problem, the known chord's perpendicular bisector is the diameter being sought.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 02-07-2011 20:38
Hello dnelson2031, I am apparently a bit foggy in the brain, as I am not "seeing" how this particular item is applied to specific problem solving or application. So please, educate me and show me how this applies. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By dnelson2031 (*) Date 02-11-2011 03:30
Sure.  Part of your original problem was to find the diameter (radius) of a circle that passes through three points.  Specifically, the three points would be the endpoints of a chord and the maximum height of the arc that passes through them.  The diagram below shows a random chord as segment AB (9.06 cm) and the maximum height (segment CD) as 2.70 cm.  According to the Intersecting Chords Theorem, the length of segment DE (the "rest" of the diameter), is related to the known distances as follows:

AD x DB = CD x DE

Substituting the three known values, we have:4.53 x 4.53 = 2.70 x DE

Solve this equation for DE = 4.53 x 4.53 / 2.70 = 7.60 (rounded to two digits).  Now we know that the diameter is (approximately) 10.30 cm.

Your student's equation yields the same result:

(4.53^2 + 2.70^2) / 2.70 = 10.30 (rounded to two decimal places)

There's nothing wrong with your student's formula--in fact, I'm crazy impressed that he (?) brought it into your classroom!  And there's nothing wrong with Frankland's formula relating chord length, maximum height of arc, and diameter.  All I'm saying is that, by relying on an even more fundamental result, there's less stuff to remember!  Plus, it applies to ALL chords.  (Surprizingly, even those that do not intersect within the circle.)

Dan
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 02-11-2011 05:00
Hello Dan, and thanks for the explanation. I will play around with it when I get some time. Had another student bring another example in to me. I'll see if it matches any of the others that folks have shared in this thread. If not I'll see about including it here. I am old, but I'm still teachable, so this thread has been really good for me. Thanks and best regards, Allan
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Determine an unknown radius/ plot a radius w/X Y coordinates