Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Elliptical layouts, at least one method
- - By aevald (*****) Date 02-01-2011 23:50 Edited 02-02-2011 00:18
Hi folks, another topic for my evening's fab class, figured to share this one as well. Hopefully this one is understandable too.
     By either using the shape cut from the pattern paper or the sheet with the elliptical hole cut in it you can use the "cross hairs" to orient this on your particular application and at whatever angle is required. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Pickupman (***) Date 02-02-2011 00:12
If I was younger, didn't have the baggage I have, and lived closer to Washington, I'd get myself in your class Allan. You teach some cool stuff, keep it coming. Thanks
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 02-02-2011 00:20
Thank you pickupman, I try to share and always look for additional information and knowledge supplied by others around me, including on this forum and elsewhere. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 02-02-2011 04:19
That's great Allan.

I will have to try that for sure.

Thanks for the tip.
Parent - - By 357max (***) Date 02-07-2011 07:27 Edited 02-07-2011 07:35
Good subject; I use the attached. From pages 36 & 37 "The Pipe Fitter's & Pipe Welder's Handbook" Thomas W. Frankland. I use a round soap stone holder with soapstone in a Circle Cutting Guide with two pins instead of the piece of wood. I put the two pins for the dimensions f-g & e-g. And I use a framing square clamped down instead of the lines a-b & c-d. Just flip the square to draw each quarter.
Attachment: pipemarkerformulas.jpg (261k)
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 02-07-2011 19:58
Hello 357max, I appreciate your response, as I know others will as well. I believe that I have a good visual picture of the technique that you have described, can certainly see that working well. Thanks for sharing. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 02-08-2011 01:10
This is the stuff nobody thinks about unless they are fitting pipe on a regular basis.....when your 80 miles from the shop and you need to make that cut RIGHT or work after long into dark filling a gap.....it sure helps if you can lay it out.  Lots of people have their personal trick to this..probably 100 diff ways....measure half this, - wall thickness, + the diameter x 2 / angle of the sun etc.   It is nice to see the math laid out plain and simple.  I am sure I will be using this myself instead of the old cut and test fit method.  THX Allan
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 02-08-2011 03:46
Hello Tommy, one of my peers at another facility asked me why I chose this particular mathematical series to determine the Hyp. I explained to him that I felt it is sometimes better to utilize the K.I.S.S. method, so in this case I have added some steps to come up with the Hyp.(equal to the long side of the ellipse). To shorten this regimen you can simply take the 6" dimension and divide it by the angle 40 cosine and you will get the answer to the Hyp. much more quickly. I have attached a modified sketch with a triangle in red and some additional verbage to illustrate the shorter method. I mentioned K.I.S.S., in the fabrication class that I teach I have tried to limit the math to basic mathematical formulas in hopes that most individuals will be able to remember them more readily and thus use them more. Hope things are going well for you. Thanks for your comments..... I'm still waiting for those shortcuts/tricks that I know you have stored away. Best regards, Allan
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Elliptical layouts, at least one method