Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Denied welding test
- - By kade625 Date 02-02-2011 17:16
Ive been a welder for 5 years, but not certified.  I recently applied for a welding position and they wanted me to pass a 3g test.  Ive done several vertical welds and felt very confident in my ability to pass.  However, when i arrived at the welding shop they turned me away for not having a welding mask or gloves with me.  I do have my own equipment but was never notified that i needed it, and was told not to bother coming back. The question i have is there any basis for this response?  Should i notify this company that they need to change their job listing?
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 02-02-2011 23:02
Did they tell you that you would be taking a 3G test on the phone when they called you to tell you to come in?  A good welder always brings his or her own equipment to a weld test tools included.  Like said above, always come prepared to take a welding test unless otherwise told not to.  Just a tip from someone who now does the hiring and firing.
Parent - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 02-03-2011 23:08
When ever i go looking for a job, I always dress like im ready to start then. Always be prepared to weld right then and there. If someone is needing a welder and they are testing and you perhaps get a test. you should be ready with all your stuff together.
I never seen anyone walkin to a test with nothing.
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 02-05-2011 03:44
as someone who interviews and hires welders. 

I wouldn't deny someone if they didn't have a helmet, but I expect everyone to bring their own gear and most people are more comfortable in their own stuff.   We worked to mil-spec 1591, and would do informal weld tests at interviews followed by a month long trial where you would be required to pass various cert tests. 

some outfits are different, but when I show up I always have my gear ready to go, mostly due to a comfort familiarity thing.
- By kkfabricator (**) Date 02-02-2011 17:26
You should always assume when applying for a welding position that you will be required to take a test. If you are being considered they will most likely want you to do it immediatly.
- - By kade625 Date 02-02-2011 17:32
I knew there woud be a test. Other companies have never asked me to bring my own equip and have always provided what was needed.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 02-02-2011 17:41
My Welding Hood is MY hood! I don't borrow others, nor do I loan mine out.
Think of all the various body fluids that wind up inside of a hood...especially during the cold and flu season.
But, I might loan my hood out if I can date your wife, use your toothbrush, etc, etc,etc.
As mentioned by others,
ALWAYS bring your own gear to an interview or a welding test. Often times, that is part of the test, to see if you are prepared to work and the type of gear/tools you own.
If I am testing a welder, and all he has is a hood and a claw hammer...I gotta wonder...
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-02-2011 19:59
"But, I might loan my hood out if I can date your wife, use your toothbrush, etc, etc,etc."

LMAO!!!

I've let my best friend borrow my hood for 5 minutes or something, but known the guy 15 years or better. But anybody else, not a chance(other than MY wife or kids).
Parent - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 02-03-2011 23:09
no one uses my hood, i dont care who they are.
Parent - By bigrod (**) Date 02-04-2011 03:06
I agree completely!!!  I've got blood on my pancake from getting a bloody nose on a hot tie-in and no time to stop and try to find some paper.  Barrowing someone's hood/pancake is like asking to barrow an old cowboy's hat...its not going to happen!
Parent - By petty4345 (**) Date 02-02-2011 17:55
If were not willing to give you the benifit of the doubt on that, maybe they weren't going to be a great employer anyway.
On the other hand, you should have asked what you would be tested on and if you were to bring anything. Asking a few (not too many) questions during the interview or original conversation shows initiative.

Not slamming you but, I see alot of unmotivated people come in. Maybe sad that the wife wants them to work and get off of unemployment.
And, did you really want to wear someone elses hood? (You could have been the victim of the greased head band trick)
- By 47Harley (*) Date 02-02-2011 17:48
I'm fresh out of school and I can tell you that even if they tell me to just come down and fill out paperwork my gear goes along with me. These companies want to see if you're prepared to do whatever task they want done on the spot.
- - By kade625 Date 02-02-2011 18:11
Thanks for all the replies.  I will make sure to take all my gear next tim.
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 02-02-2011 18:51
I agree with Superflux my hood is very personal to me. not just the body fluids ,the way the bands
adjusted to fit MY HEAD I don't want anyone else messing with it. Always take your own hood and gloves
i even use to take my own 4" grinder with various thickness discs from 1/16" to1//4".   when I use to test at
local 250 i went as far to bring in my own Excalibur 7018 that i knew was good. The dam apprentices drop the ****
on the floor , spill  soda on it then throw it back in the oven so you don't know what condition the rods really in,
was it in the oven for several hrs or 10 min.
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 02-02-2011 19:12 Edited 02-02-2011 19:14
I'd have to agree with the hood thing. I had someone grab my shield without asking and god i came unglued of course this person thought I didn't like him because the color of his skin BS but wasn't the case. I go crazy when someone doesn't ask but yes I prefer not to loan my shield out for if that person is sick or whatever. I always bring my shield home to clean it every few months for this exact reason to keep myself healthy.
I always make sure I have gloves, chipping hammer, hand brush, angle 4 inch with grinding cutting and wire on it as well just in case. I bring a few different shade welding lenses if i'm not positive of what type of welding I'm doing, I also bring a respirator as well if i need it. I bring all this whether I fill out a app. or need to test on the spot.

I've tested one time and they offered to loan me gloves and a shield and was like WHAT??? Couldn't believe they offered because i always felt you should be prepared yourself for whatever.

I just went and filled an app Monday which was a good ways from home and kinda aggravated I couldn't test there but who knows we'll see maybe they'll call.

Joe, I'd have to agre I have brought my own rods as well once and another test brought my own tungsten to because dam it's annoying when you gotta take a test and the tungsten is like 2 inches long
Parent - - By ZCat (***) Date 02-02-2011 19:13
Why are you worried about bodily fluids in a welding hood? are you gonna lick it?
Parent - By JMCInc (**) Date 02-02-2011 19:40
The thought of clamping a headband down on my head, even if I have a hat on, that has been previously soaked with some stranger's sweat does not apeal to me. Nor do I want my buddy or anybody else, for that matter, to grab my helmet and get their funk all over it. YMMV.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-02-2011 19:51
Kade,

I have always carried a 5 gal bucket with one of those bucket organizers.  I have a couple of screw drivers, pliers, welpers, tip cleaners, chipping hammer, wire brush, striker, Oxy/Acet tips, Oxy/fuel tips, 12" cresent wrench, center punch, medium ball peen hammer, allan wrenches, two pair of Cclamp vise grips, 8" & 12" squares, soap stone, and some other odds and ends that I feel are essential to EVERY job.  Then I add in a pair of TIG gloves, my heavy welding gloves, and my auto darkening hood.

Going to drop off an application, talk to someone for an interview, whatever.  You never know when they may ask you to weld.  I was always taught to go to an interview dressed clean but appropriate for the position being applied for.  You can look pretty nice in some of the Carrhart and other manufacturers clothes anymore and still be ready to lay some weld. 

OH, and I also ALWAYS carry my own safety glasses and hearing protection as well as my hard hat. 

Good luck on the next one.  Do go prepared.  You will be surprised at the results.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 02-02-2011 20:15
I am with welderbrent on pretty much all he listed.  I carry everthing I need to weld, including tools to make equipment right if necessary, at least one small and one large Bessey clamp, and 4.5" grinder w/ various attachments including wire wheel. 

Depending on the job I would also carry my own selection of gun necks for Lincoln / Miller gasless FCAW "iron guns", Tweco No 3/4 gassed nozzle, contact tips, prepared tungstens, various TIG cups, stinger whip w/ adapter for Dinse or Tweco, etc.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-02-2011 20:04 Edited 02-02-2011 20:07
Going to an interview for a welding job always assume there will be a test. Wear your best blue jeans, best cotton welding shirt(Martin Brothers- their shirts are so nice a new one can be worn out to dinner, so a job interview they wouldn't even think it was a "work" shirt.) Wrangler makes some good ones I've seen at TSC but for the price I can buy the Martin Bros. Shirts made right here in the US of A. Throw your gear in your trunk or passenger seat that way if they pop the question, you can say, let me go grab my gear out of the car. When I interviewed I'd wear my normal work boots, the tan steel toes, tied with pants pulled down over the top, shirt tucked in and a belt. Not dressed down but not to fancy that I can't go throw some sparks out in the shop if requested.

A friend of mine told me about a kid that showed up for a welding interview wearing shorts and a tank top I believe, no hood, and possibly flip flops???? I laugh everytime I think about that! Hope this helps out, but stay away from my hood! LoL!

Shawn

P.S, like Benny Hill always said, "never assume, because you'll make a A__ of U and ME". Should have known, youtube.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hrLj8QEAgI
Parent - By PipeIt (**) Date 02-03-2011 20:20
Hang in there kid live and learn we all been through it, I won't pile on I think you learned the lesson!

Take care :)
- - By kade625 Date 02-02-2011 20:20
Ha I'm sure they're all laughing at me now for not bringing anything with me.  I did show up dressed clean but ready to weld.  My 5 years actually comes from welding at a vinyl fencing company where i was the only welder there.  I taught several employees to weld just in case, and for a year we interviewed applicants to weld with me, no one ever showed up with gear(prob cuz again it was a vinyl fencing company).  Anyway this has been very helpful,  i might have welding exerience but i have never been around "welders" so im clueless as to what being at a welding shop really is like and what is expected.
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 02-02-2011 21:23
There is an old single hand saying "going on your tools" or "back on your tools"
Steel fitting tools and welding tools are personal things. You carry your tools to the job site, and carry them home at the end of the shift or day. Buckets are easy to come by, transport and make something you can sit on either at break or while welding. Single hand guys get really upset when they see someone in their bucket. You have your hood, gloves, soapstone, chipping hammers, fitting books, etc in there. And it is yours. These are the tools of your trade.
A welders locker if you will.
Rig welders have their truck to carry their tools.
Single hands have their bucket.
If you are going to be a single hand, get a good 5 or if you can find them at pool supply houses a 7 gallon bucket.  Put a rope on it. Duct tape some foam on it to make a comfy seat. Get one of those canvas bucket organizers. You can carry it in the backseat of a car, trunk, or strap it on a motorcycle. I have seen some pretty nifty tool buckets. One was a old Union Carbide can that the welder said belonged to his grand dad who built liberty ships during WWII. You did not touch that guys tools.
You get a test, you have your tools and they are right there " you are on your tools"
If you get promoted to foreman and it does not work out, you go back welding and "are back on your tools"
Parent - - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 02-02-2011 22:31
Kade625, Sorry but I'm willing to BET they have Prerequisites for there welding positions.  I've had guys show up in tank top , shorts & flip fops------NEXT .  No safety glasses-----NEXT.  I let all applicants KNOW you will be taking a weld test IF you have all other Qualifications in the interview part. What are some of the Qualifications, how about a current Drivers License, a correct answer about starting time,overtime e.t.c.. Believe me ALOT of companies will look you out the door not coming w/ hood, gloves, glasses, work boots, e.t.c.. Don't be so nonchalant about applying for a NEW job!!!!!! From Sixburgh waiting to put the WHOOP on dem' Chezzheds!!!!!!
Parent - By joe pirie (***) Date 02-02-2011 22:54
You back in town?  Joe
- - By Leo27 (*) Date 02-02-2011 22:30
just maybe your not ready for a welding job if you really didnt know if you needed a hood or not  an its called a damn hood not a mask ur killing me
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 02-03-2011 00:46
I have a saying about welding hoods/grinding shields/gloves/hardhats etc.  when employers expect you to share them.  Would you share your underwear or socks with anyone in the shop?   NO?  Well do not expect me to share these other items as there is no difference!!  I have several hoods etc. and they are mine and mine alone.'

If you go to take a test it is pretty much standard that YOU WILL provide your own personal safety gear.
- - By tompit9 (***) Date 02-03-2011 01:15
Commonsense!!!
Parent - - By kade625 Date 02-03-2011 03:48
I wouldnt go that far.  For most welders yes, but what about those in my situation who have years of experience with welding but have never been around other welders. My common sense tells me if its not issued I don't need it.  I don't know how many times I've been issued gear for a deployment, got back, turned it in, and the next week got reissued different gear just to turn it back in half a year later to get reissued the same gear just from another company.  Even rifles get issued taken back traded and reissued,  and those things were likes our own children, never once left my side, until I gave it back for the next Marine to use on their deployment
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 02-03-2011 05:18
kade625,
All occupations have their own unique set of "rules", an unwritten code as it were, that everyone entering a particular Domain will learn over time and experience. However, in this arena (private sector, not the military), your tools and equipment are YOURS!, not provided for you at your employers expense. Even if you had been issued a K9, that would have become your best friend, it did not belong to you and was simply under your care until Uncle Sam decided for whatever reason otherwise.
Fortunately, there is a vast conglomerate of information (over 100 welders, inspectors, engineers, etc. at our disposal) in this forum that can help all of us get through some of the strange situations (as in not at all obvious) we often encounter while manipulating molten metal.
- - By sillyslik (**) Date 02-03-2011 01:33
well i read all these posts. and i have been job searching. if i even get the chance to take a weld test, my (Hoods and tools) are in my truck! mind you i am fresh out of school! I did go to apply to weld some air boat assembly and such. i think lack of experience killed me there. they started me on tig and i was so nervous i couldn't get steady. then a high freq. weld and had never used a high freq. before! but i learned and i did put down a decent weld for them! no offense but 5 yrs exp. and you got a shot and you blew it . laugh it up and get it next time! i'm ready to offer working for free til i got experience to land calls!
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 02-03-2011 01:52
Sillyslik

I have got many years down in the commercial and private boat industry.....far as small boats go (anything under 400HP or 25ft),  Tig skills are what will get you hired (even if they are not looking) and make your money in the beginning.  All the rest will be fitting and learning to run MIG on Aluminum at a break neck pace, I.E. ridiculously hot.  Make sure you can lay a nice row of dimes with a/c tig if you go to apply with another boat manufacturer.
- By Mat (***) Date 02-03-2011 05:01
The only time I ever showed up without my own gear was when I was fresh out of school, not knowing what to expect and applying at my first welding job, where they asked me to test right away. (welding truck parts...ROCKET SCIENCE!  ;) )

The welds left a lot to be desired and they were only flat welds mind you and one of the workers was kind enough to lend me his hood and mig pliers, but I got the job because I could pass a drug test!

Everyone starts somewhere, I suppose!  Generally if you can consievably find a use for it, bring it.  If you're applying for a job, at least have a basic kit on hand!
- - By commonarc (**) Date 02-04-2011 01:54
Even UNION guys, who get all tools and safety gear provided, know enough to show up for a weld test with the following as a minimum:

a) welding hood
b) gloves
c) welding jacket and cap

The contractor provides everything else for UNION weld tests but I also bring a file, chipping hammer, tooth brush sized wire brush, metal saw blade and file, metal picks, inspection mirror, extra tungsten, tape measure, temp sticks and flash light.

In the Boilermakers, we are not allowed to use power tools during a tube test.
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 02-05-2011 08:31 Edited 02-05-2011 08:33
LOL, not all Unions provide that stuff.  Hell, I've got 2, stuffed, personal, gang boxes I haul with me to every job
- - By Sberry (***) Date 02-07-2011 14:22
Kade,

I have always carried a 5 gal bucket with one of those bucket organizers.  I have a couple of screw drivers, pliers, welpers, tip cleaners, chipping hammer, wire brush, striker, Oxy/Acet tips, Oxy/fuel tips, 12" cresent wrench, center punch, medium ball peen hammer, allan wrenches, two pair of Cclamp vise grips, 8" & 12" squares, soap stone, and some other odds and ends that I feel are essential to EVERY job.  Then I add in a pair of TIG gloves, my heavy welding gloves, and my auto darkening hood.

Going to drop off an application, talk to someone for an interview, whatever.  You never know when they may ask you to weld.  I was always taught to go to an interview dressed clean but appropriate for the position being applied for.  You can look pretty nice in some of the Carrhart and other manufacturers clothes anymore and still be ready to lay some weld. 

OH, and I also ALWAYS carry my own safety glasses and hearing protection as well as my hard hat. 

Good luck on the next one.  Do go prepared.  You will be surprised at the results.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
  You could add,,, put a tape measure on belt,,, ha,, but this is about right. I also like the having it in the car, I would likely have glasses and hardhat, maybe a hood and gloves in hand if I knew I had to test and be ready to get anything else I needed or my tool bag/bucket. I am really subtle, I might add a soapstone and sharpie to my front pocket, if I was talking to Ironworker outfit maybe a 12 inch Proto adjustable in back pocket or if Pipefitter a Channelok.
  Its one of life's big skills, being able to look around and assess the environment. Changing and going to new is like breathing for me. When I start out I had to walk in pass tests to get hired but unless I was down and out today it would likely be a formality for the most part in most cases. I might use it to get foot in the door but my interest isn't welding per sa anymore. Much rather be on the move of figuring out who, what, where and the fastest easiest way.
Parent - By Sberry (***) Date 02-07-2011 14:44
I had job the other day, sent 2 men which were hard at work when I got there. It really hadn't occurred to them to tune the setup well, I change some stuff around, the infeed, out feed, catch drops in pallet, etc and went from 3 of us to 2 while doubling the speed and non working any harder. For me welding is a means to an end, I really don't "love" it like some do, it was something I was good at as a trade but my interest is really in production. How long is it going to take? How much in a day/week/ how many $.
  As for 5 years, never had a job that long.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Denied welding test