Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Aluminum 5052 Frame Welding Code????
- - By TheSavvy1 (**) Date 02-03-2011 01:22
We are currently designing a Structural Frame for the Semiconductor Capital Equipment Industry.

This design is nearly complete and I was curious what ASME AWS Code this should be built to? Any Ideas?????
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-03-2011 02:12
That's pretty much a designer/engineering call.

If the designers are asking the welders on the shop floor what code to use, and the welders are in turn going to internet chatrooms for advice, I would not be filled with confidence about any aspect of the project.

Alot more questions need to be asked and answered before a call can be made.

Thickness of material

Process used for joining,

Automated or manual or machine production.

Volume of widgets you are making

Then there are literally dozens of *fit for purpose* type of questions that need to be asked.  What exactly the components are going to do.. Service environment, corrosion issues, loads on joints...etc. etc. etc.
- - By TheSavvy1 (**) Date 02-03-2011 12:37
Thanks Lawrence,

We are welding rectangular tube, 5052, 2"X3" (.125 WA).

The load strength is still up for question, I will request that from our engineering team, the weld callouts are just fillet symbols, with zero additional joint type detail.

It will be used in a Clean Room environment, so corrosion will not be an issue. I beleive there is a post Nickel plating requirment after welding, which is at the request of the customer.

This is really just a situation where we can qualify to the Sec IX code, but I wanted advise on any differences with D1.2 that may change how we go about the qualification.

These are going to be welded via manual GTAW, only because it is highly cosmetic.
Parent - By Mike Sherman Date 02-06-2011 02:20
If you are familiar with Sec IX you will not have any trouble with D1.2 Are you concerned with qualifying your procedure or qualifying welders or both? I am curious about the use of 5052 extrusions and the use of all fillet welds; the latter will be difficult.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Aluminum 5052 Frame Welding Code????