Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Copyright
- - By JLWelding (***) Date 02-05-2011 03:56
I have a small shop, and I do pretty good out of it. I have allways built my own designs when it comes to plasma cutting copyrights, and never steped on anybodys toes. I always said if I ever do I will do what it takes to make it right. That said I have this two bit thorn in my side of a low life that has copyed one of my designs, the customer came to me bragging how he traced it from another gate that I built, and did it half price. The more I think about it the more pi$$ed I get. What can I do? What would you do?
Parent - By 52lincoln (***) Date 02-05-2011 07:42
aside of just confronting the person about it,i dont think there is anything you can do about it.
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 02-05-2011 08:21
Happens everyday.  I've had numerous times where customers have come in and ask for us to design/build prototypes and then they would take the prototype to someone else to build for a few dollars less.  About the only thing you can do is either throw them out the next time they come in or teabag them with a crazy high price when they come begging for help.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 02-05-2011 14:23
IF you dont have a patent on it theres nothing you can do
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 02-05-2011 14:29
If you have proof of a copyright for the design, have your attorney contact him and demand he stop using your design and pay you a royalty fee for the one he already made.  If he refuses, take him to court and make him spend enough money defending it that he wished he'd never done it.  A copyright is no good if you don't defend it.
- - By JLWelding (***) Date 02-05-2011 15:17
I dont know all the ends and outs but if you have copyrights to something, I would think it belongs to you. On my site it says all trademarks and services are property of thier respective owners. Copyright JL Welding Tx . com and JL Welding of Elgin. If he would have changed it up some I wouldnt even be thinking about it. But it is exactly the same, size and all. I dont know, I am just pissed I guess.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-06-2011 02:12
I am pretty sure You have to file a copyright for each design. This might be more work than it is worth, as He wouldn't have to change it much to call it His own.
Parent - - By Brian T. Beard (**) Date 02-06-2011 18:02
Sound to me like a case of "Good Ol' Texas @$$ Kickin' " . I don't thing a "Can" would work. That don't usually break the pencil writing hand!!!! Bet he'll think about it next time.
Parent - - By Tim655 (*) Date 02-06-2011 19:18
Whenever you  do somethig good, as soon as it leaves the shop and someone sees it they are going to try and copy it.... Just the way it is. Just my opinion
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 02-06-2011 20:41
I've had two gate designs stolen, but my workmanship did not transfer. The first gate sags so badly it is unusable and I laugh every time I drive by it.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Copyright