Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Virtual Welding
- - By malCWI (*) Date 02-05-2011 17:06
I haven't been on the site for awhile, forgive me been busy. My question is; Does anyone have or has heard of any virtual welding classes? Because I know of someone in the military who is interested in welding and he is oversees and can not get adequate training. Does Hobart Institute or any other facilities offer a virtual welding class where he can get instruction and hands on through the internet? Let me know.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-05-2011 18:38
Nothing I know about as far as hands on over the net.

There are several folks selling virtual weld apparatus.. ($45K).. They are nice and cut down on the learning curve, but the pirce is very high. But where the rubber meets the road you need metal and heat.

The net is full of technical help however.  Advice on technique, process and procedures.  There are thousands of hours of practical demonstrations on Youtube. Some are better than others. (eat the meat and spit out the bones)
Parent - By malCWI (*) Date 02-06-2011 18:05
Thank you for the info Lawrence. I have welded in the past however this info was for my son going oversees and he wants to learn welding.
- By jbndt (**) Date 02-06-2011 18:13
Let the right people know that you want to learn to weld and you will get your wish ...
I know of a few Marines that got their training putting on blast pannels and armor on Hum-Vees.
They then graduated to putting the same on the Hum-Vee replacement vehicles.

Cheers,
Jim B.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Virtual Welding