Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / pipeliners supply their own welding machine?
1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next  
- - By chitown hustler (*) Date 02-07-2011 19:45
excuse me for the dumb question but im only a union carpenter from chicago. what job does a welders helper perform and what kind of pay does he get? also welders have to supply their own machine? how is a welder compensated for using his own machine versus a company machine?

thanks in advance,

dave
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 02-07-2011 20:44
I know when some of the ~8' diameter SoCal "aquaducs" were going in back in the 80's and 90's that some contractors were paying owner/operators a flat rate by the joint.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 02-08-2011 18:52
Are you wanting to hire out as a helper or a welder?
A rig weld helper does the grinding, weld buffing, machine changing, coffee making and what ever else the welder does not want to do. The helper is responsible for making sure all the tools and equipment are picked up and on the truck at the end of the day or at the completion of the weld. Sometimes they get to move the rig.
A rig welder or the contractor they are working for provides the helper tools. Including all PPE.
On turnaround projects a helper pretty much buffs and grinds welds and hustles electrodes. Spools up cords and leads.
On rig welding jobs the welder is compensated for the use of the machine. The machine is usually paid straight time where the welder, the arm, is paid time and half over forty hours.
Compensation varies between contractors so there is no set price a welder can get for the machine. On union jobs the price paid for the machine is covered in the bargaining agreement.
On a single hand job the contractor supplies the machine and all the consumables.
If you are considering changing professions you need to check with your union about moving to a group that does welding. Rig welding is another breed of cat. The 798 pipeliner union is the only one I have ever worked with that paid rig pay. Some boilermaker unions may, and up where you are located, you should be able to find out which ones will.
Good luck,
Parent - By joe pirie (***) Date 02-08-2011 20:12
steamfitters local 250 los angeles ca has a shortline agreement where the contractor pays rig pay
Parent - - By chitown hustler (*) Date 02-08-2011 22:01
thanks for the reply curtis. im 46 years old and don't need the childish bs replies. if i decide to switch jobs im also going to switch to a pipeliners hall instead of the carpenters hall or see if i can work on a permit type of deal. first time out i would look to hire on as a helper... after the first job i would hire on as a welder. what blue  machine do you recommend? i don't think my tb 302airpak is upto the task. also how much lead do you suggest?

thanks in advance,

dave
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 02-09-2011 00:05
I would go with the Lincoln 300D if you are wanting to chase pipelines. Before you commit the capital though call Tulsa. There was a long list but it looks like this year may be pretty good. If you can get a 798 test take it.
If you are wanting to try single hand, go see Consolidated Fabrication over in Gary http://www.consfab.com/
Go over there with your hood and gloves. 3851 Ellsworth Street They do a lot of work in Whiting but work all over the US. Better be able to swing a 4 pound.
As for leads 100 feet of each is pretty much about all you can afford. Especially if it gets stole.
My hat is off to you for making this change. Best of luck. Hope you got a wife with a real good sense of humor. And you like to travel.
Parent - By chitown hustler (*) Date 02-09-2011 00:54
thanks again curtis. over the years i worked at bp in whiting and the rest of the area refineries on the scaffold crew. i will go over to consfab tomorrow.  the only one i answer to is my dobermann!
Parent - - By stanantonio Date 02-09-2011 08:56
yeah I just finnished a job for consolidated. those Yank feucks aint gotta clue when it comes to pipeline work which is why they lost all there pipeline bids. Yeah Termite go work for them. They need more feuck ups like your self
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 02-09-2011 20:19 Edited 02-09-2011 20:30
See OTBG
Parent - - By roundydownie (**) Date 02-10-2011 02:55 Edited 02-10-2011 02:59
If you hire on as a helper then you have to go through the system.you gotta go through the training center before you can start welding..you also have to work like 2500hrs before your even elgible to go and then there is a pretty big waiting list to get in the school.So you might be welding when your fifty
Parent - - By Johnny Walker (***) Date 02-10-2011 02:58
6,000 now they changed it
Parent - By roundydownie (**) Date 02-10-2011 03:00
yeah i knew they did but wasnt for sure how long but thanks for the info
Parent - - By Brian T. Beard (**) Date 02-13-2011 05:13
I know in Kansas, Koch only paid $15 for the rig, they said that it was all the feds let them pay the rest of the comp for the rig was included in the welders pay "@ $85" . Double time after 8, we worked 7- 14's for 8 mths. Yes the rig was straight time no matter.  Worked for me cause the write off's where good at the time. I didn't see wife and kids but came home with $300,000 +.
Parent - By Johnny Walker (***) Date 02-13-2011 23:48
Dang that's what I need 7/14's
- - By 99205 (***) Date 02-07-2011 21:09
Sounds like you are looking at some Independent Contract Welders, if they have their own rigs.  As far as wages go get in touch with your Union Business Agent, he has all that info.
Parent - By Brian T. Beard (**) Date 02-13-2011 05:22
Just because he is union now what makes everybody think he wants to stay union?  I mean S**t the union is doing so much for him now, I'm sure that is what he is after. I mean, what 20+ years and you are looking for a job, sign me up    uhhh   Next year.
- - By chitown hustler (*) Date 02-07-2011 21:33
what does single hand mean?

thanks in advance,

dave
Parent - - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 02-07-2011 21:47
if i single hand i bring hood and gloves and nothing else. they want single hand welders they will supply for them
Parent - - By chitown hustler (*) Date 02-07-2011 21:51
thanks! one more question... what is sseh certification?
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-08-2011 00:16
OK.........The World Famous SSEH Test. It's just like a HESS test, only Backwards.
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 02-07-2011 22:03
Geez, you really are a carpenter.  The 2 rules a Carpenter needs to know to pass his apprenticeship. 1 - The pointy end goes against the wood,  2 - Hit the pointy thing with the metal at the end of the stick.
Parent - By chitown hustler (*) Date 02-07-2011 22:25
yep! its so easy even you figured it out!;o)
- - By stanantonio Date 02-07-2011 22:07
Realy????? why not just stick two boards together. Do what your good @.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-07-2011 22:12
uh oh, he's talking about sseh certification. Where's Cactus to explain it to him, hehehe.
Parent - By chitown hustler (*) Date 02-07-2011 22:34
i would love to keep on being a carpenter except there is no work. i been in the trades 25 years and wouldn't know where to begin building a house. but if you want ten floors framed up at the sears tower (you may of heard of the tower... its a tall building located in chicago) or a500,000 sf warehouse or a sports arena built im the carpenter your looking for. been welding for 20 years and just now going for g3 certs. looks like construction is going to be dead in chicago for a few more years so its time to look for greener pastures.
- - By stanantonio Date 02-07-2011 22:11
If you wanna be my slave be in saltlake utah. Be there on wensday. Pays 28 and 65. be there or be square.
Parent - - By stanantonio Date 02-07-2011 22:37
As per quoted post as" what you must perform as a helper". Well every sunday you must wash and starch my clothes. Monday morning ie 3:30 must get up and shine my boots and put a good amount of bees wax protectant on them. Then its off to work at 5:30 where that is if I trust you enough with my rig I let you drive me to work while I sleep alittle more. Then when we arrive you shall string my leads accordingly and pull out my grinders and remote. You will be expected to grind beads in an effiecient mannor and bead brush entire welds from paint to paint. 11:30ish you will start my grill and cook me lunch which if you are a worthy helper I might let you cook your lunch on there too. Then its off on a race again of whos the fastest pipeliner. which you will be expected to do what ever I ask with out really having to ask you. I'm not much on baby sitting. After the day has ended I expect you to drive us back to where we are staying and clean my truck on your own time while I am visiting coworkers at the bar.  If you do a good job I might buy you a drink. So theres the requirements. I usually only hire people with a mechanical engineering degree. But will consider a hard worker from a carpentry background. You may send your resume to heweldspipe@gmail.com
Parent - - By chitown hustler (*) Date 02-07-2011 22:47 Edited 02-07-2011 22:52
that sounds like a great time and work environment! after i grill your lunch will you toss my salad for me?
Parent - - By stanantonio Date 02-07-2011 22:53
Not hardly which is why you should stick to what you hardly dont know and leave the rest of the what is to know up to us.
Parent - - By stanantonio Date 02-07-2011 22:55
If you think I am lying ask some of them.
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 02-07-2011 23:01
can't blame him for trying to do something else. My dads been a trim carpenter his entire life and he can't find work and pretty much was forced into retirement. He's to old t really go do something else. So can't blame the dude for trying something else. There's been many times I've been thinking of getting outta welding but iust doesn't matter what I get into the economy just sucks everywhere
Parent - - By stanantonio Date 02-07-2011 23:07
Your right about that.  I was just letting him know what this is a very hard gig to get into so he might look else where.
Parent - - By chitown hustler (*) Date 02-07-2011 23:34 Edited 02-07-2011 23:50
just so you know grasshopper... the stupid question is the one that isn't asked.

that camaro is on its way to a 7.93 pass. #3300 with driver. if i can lump / tig that car together i might be able to weld a pipeline together.  don't assume because one isn't a pipe welder they don't know how to weld!;o)

where is that ignore button?
Attachment: camaro.bmp - this car was tig welded by me. certified 7.50 mild steel (536k)
Attachment: camaro-1.bmp (536k)
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-08-2011 02:32
7.93 ? Is that all ? Question is.......... Are you the Driver ?
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-08-2011 03:05
Is That Car NHRA Certified ? I may be wrong but I thought NHRA required Chromolly Roll Cages and Sub Frames ?
Parent - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 02-08-2011 23:57
doubt that bud. but who knows. next time u should pipeline your car together, it may run like the front end.
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-08-2011 00:23
Now see what you did ! Now your a Scab !
Parent - By Smokin_1 (**) Date 02-12-2011 06:21 Edited 02-12-2011 06:24
Extreme negative responses to give to someone who is interested in the welding craft, you remind me of guy I used to work with...... for 10 min, then I got in my truck and hit the road.

Life is too short for that sh#t.
Parent - - By chitown hustler (*) Date 02-07-2011 23:19
you hit the nail on the head chris. 25 years in construction i never seen it this slow. lots of carpenters being forced into retirement because they can't find a job and unemployment is running out. im lucky the last two years i only missed 5 - 6 months worth of work. other guys from my local have been out of work for 1 - 2 years and are ready to lose everything. the only thing i know how to do is work with my hands, carpentry  and welding... thats it. i have no desire to sit behind a desk! you can't even find side work around chicago, i'll be damned if im going to match 8.00 - $10.00 an hour some illegal texascan is willing to work for. just exploring options here.
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 02-07-2011 23:41
I know my dad can't weld for sh*t but boy can he fit. I really wish I would have payed attention to him all those years and learned some fitting because thats whats hurting me now. So i figure go for it try and be a fitter. Doesn't hurt to at least try. I'm going for a welding test in the morning for tig welding pipe and boy do I have my doubts because it's been a dam long time but I figure why not try.
Parent - - By awspartb (***) Date 02-07-2011 23:54
Good luck on your search Brother Carpenter.  you won't find what you're looking for working with a pipeliner outift in the southwest.  They have very little work also due to Obama's EPA crushing the oil and energy industry in favor of solar panels and windmills. The back stabbing, undercutting, etc is off the charts with these pipeliner scabs.  Good luck getting paid when one of these gyspys decides you're not worth it and packs up to leave you in the dust.  I've been told that they'll work you 12 hours a day with no breaks and no lunch.  God help you if you get hurt.....you'll be on your own for sure as they will pack up and be gone before you've been released from the hospital due to thier negligence.  These guys have ZERO safety, rigging, OSHA, etc training.  They WILL get you hurt or worse.  A good way to tell is by looking at the pipeliners fingers and teeth.  Any missing teeth or fingers is a huge warning sign to RUN AWAY.  If they don't care about their own body, what makes you think they would care about yours?

I suggest you try some side jobs in carpentry until things improve.  You won't find any help here as this forum is dominated by a handful of scab hicks with zero training in the welding trades.  They just burn it in hot and deep and hope it doesn't fail.  Many hire illegals as helpers as they can treat them like garbage and toss them in the trash when they get worn out from the verbal and sometimes physical abuse.   The comments you've received point to this fact.  They're used to dealing with Mexican helpers and Mexican helpers do not complain when they are beaten and whipped.

Best wishes to you.
Parent - - By chitown hustler (*) Date 02-08-2011 00:00
thanks brother, i see what you mean. i hate scabs with a passion!

best wishes,

dave
Parent - - By awspartb (***) Date 02-08-2011 01:25 Edited 02-08-2011 01:28
Dave,
You'll find that many of these pipeliner scabs are union members only when it suits them.  There are those who bid Federal prevailing wage jobs and find sneaky ways to pay welders $14.00 an hour with zero benefits. 

My grandpa said that the fastest animal on earth was a Texan heading up to NY City with a paid up Union dues reciept.  They'd run women and children off the roads, leave boot prints on your back, etc.  Whatever it took to get to NY City for that high paying union welding gig.  When the job ended, they'd slink on back to their filthy home while filing for unemployment up North and working under the table/scab back in the chaw spitting, toothless state of Texas.  Texans really are animals.  They even feed upon fellow Texans when it suits them.

Do what you have to do to feed your family.  Nobody will ever hold that against you.  Just don't lower yourself to work for one of these subhuman animals from a filthy place called Texas.

Best wishes brother
Parent - By SMTatham (**) Date 02-08-2011 01:34
YOU ..............  Mr. "Part NONE"  have GOT to be the most useless troll-like and IGNORANT S.O.B. on this board.  PARK the damn union high horse.  It's legs are broke and back is tired from hauling the dead weight of your dumb a$$.
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 02-08-2011 19:07
You listen to this troll and you will get the ration he gets.
There are a lot of people here that will help you and some of them are, well a penis with ears.
This guy is not respected and is bitter!
Do not fall into the trap that there is only only one way to succeed in welding. But even though you have experience, you are only as good as your last weld. As a older person you are fighting younger guys that have better eyes and eye hand coordination. May suck, but it is life.
There are a lot of opportunities out there, but unfortunately they are probably not in Chicago. You will need to travel where the jobs are. And right now they are in Nodak. Chances are they are not union. But they pay and they can feed a family.
And as a former union member and local officer, doing work to feed and put a roof over my families head is not being a scab. The world has changed. You can tilt against the windmills, but it will not change the fact, this is a different world.
I would never want to go back where I was dependent on the efforts of someone else or only spending time to advance. If you do, good, luck. But you are competing against those who do want someone else negotiating wages and benefits for them. I will take my own chances.
But your time you have spent as a union carpenter can open up a lot of doors. But do not sell yourself short being a wage slave. By changing your career, you can change your life.
Good luck
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-08-2011 01:09
Wow, I don't typically engage in such things on here but I guess as I am non Union that I am a scab. Hick, perhaps, have all my teeth, except one that the dumb azz dentist screwed up the crown on and it leaked and now the tooth is gone. But it's in the back so nobody can see. I have all my fingers and toes though. I know several on here that are non-union that don't burn hot and deep and they know it won't fail. I have a safety program with my one man company, I have OSHA 30 training, I have a TWIC card, forklift operators license, First aid training and Drug testing...yes, on myself. A big job near here said they were gonna need 600 Ironworkers. An Ironworker buddy of mine(no longer in the Union) laughed when I told him about this, he said, and I quote, "Good luck finding 600 Ironworkers out of that local that will pass the drug test let alone the background check". I have insurance, workers comp, my own wps for AWS/API and will get more as needed for jobs. Wear hardhats and safety glasses on jobs as required by the contractors safety guidelines and if I had an employee it would be the same.

When you say "no breaks" are you saying they don't get as many breaks as Union guys? I had to address this and apologize to all the guys on here who have come to know me as one who does not do this normally, but to read what you are saying basically you are telling me that because I don't pay some schmuck so much coin a month to be part of some group with a fancy license plate then I am in fact a scab? That my ethical and honorable standards are somehow lower than your standards because I'm not Union? That my training, willingness to learn is somehow less than yours? I'd wager to guess that I may in fact be more desireable because I am willing to learn and unlike yourself, don't know everything. If this site is "dominated by a handful of scab hicks with zero training in the welding trades" why do you bother to come here to our lowly hovel? Aye, just getting the ol' Marine blood boiling.....scab. Guess it's a good thing I never got called by the union, might not have made it through a day without telling somebody to go play hide and go f___ themselves.
Parent - By stanantonio Date 02-08-2011 05:02
Aawwmenn aswpertbs
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 02-08-2011 18:55
Hungry troll
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-14-2011 02:31
time to eat
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-08-2011 00:34 Edited 02-08-2011 00:37
I know where your coming from, I was a mechanic/tech for 18 years and got tired of dumping thousands in tools every year to work on somebody else p.o.s car for peanuts. Brother in law always told me that if he had to work at McDonalds to keep his house he would, don't matter that it's McDonalds, $7.25/hour, just a job until something better comes along. If a guys gonna lose his house because he's been sitting around soaking up unemployment checks watching soap opera's or at the bars for 2 years than it's their own fault and no sympathy here. I got laid off 3.5 years ago, have not collected one unemployment check after 18 years of steady "employee" work. $8-10 per hour to keep your house until something better comes along or you get some connections out there and start your own carpenter business, Union be damned, you gotta do what you have to do to keep your roof over your head, food in your families bellies. Start your own crew, hire some legal "texacans", bid jobs, run your own biz doing what you know best. Just my thoughts on the issue, but I've worked several jobs at one time, toy stores at night building bikes, fixing cars during the day and turning wrenches in the driveway in my home on weekends just to keep the house, food on our plates. Lived without a microwave for almost two years and a clothes dryer for almost as long, couldn't afford to replace them and we could live without them.

I guess the question is this, is it the Union that can't find the work or is there no work out there for Union/non-union alike? If indy's are going at it like flies to a turd then I'd turn my book in with the blink of an eye....Sorry Union guys, I know I'll catch heck on here for these statements but if it comes down to family or Union....they loose. After 25 years in the biz your phone is sure to have lot's of phone numbers in it. I'd be starting up "Chitown Builders" and gettin' to shaking the bushes. When your not doing that start doing some handy craft work in the garage building quality cabinets or shelving something they won't find at the home store. To be working with wood for 25 years you must have some mad skills that I could only dream about, I suck at woodwork.

If your serious about the welding though start checking at schools, don't know what the 20 years of welding means that you say you have but I've seen guys that have welded all their life....on the farm and here to tell ya, ewwww, not saying you can't but I've met lots of folks who are "welders" and then they slip up and tell me about running 6018's all the time or 7011's and you stop and think to yourself....hmmmm. Lots of talking, researching more and more and then it's not a walk in the park to slip a toe in the door. I've been trying to poke that toe in for years without much luck. When you talk about a welders helper that guy has to be a mind reader. You have to anticipate what the welder is gonna want next, chipping hammer, grinder, grind root pass. You might find something around Chicago in a shop as a shop helper or something like that but heck, you might only be making $10 an hour doing that until you move up the ranks etc. I think you mentioned doing a 3G? That's a start and may or may not be a foot in the door. Don't know if my mindless babblings have helped out or not but good luck with whatever you get into.

Shawn
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / pipeliners supply their own welding machine?
1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next