Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / AWS D1.1-2008-Table 4.1 x 4.5 x 4.6
- By Nalla (***) Date 02-07-2011 20:28
Dear Experts
Pls guide me in understanding and coorelate these WPS/PQR Qualification Range/Limitation Requirements
Table 4.1- PQR Qualified in 3G Position ONLY qualified for that position alone
Table 4.5 #27 - Any change in position NOT qualified by Table 4.1 require new PQR qualification for SMAW,FCAW,GMAW,GTAW,SAW
Table 4.6 - A change in position to vertical up. A 3G PQR Vertical Up test qualifies for all position and vertical down.

Question
1) Tables 4.6-(Supplementary Essential Variables requiring CVN) - Does it mean with 3G PQR, literally i can do all positions including 6GR?

These questions often raised by Contractors, QC  & Client Inspectors. Appreciate if all of you can shine some light on this.
Thanks
Attachment: AWSD1.1Tables4.1-4.5-4.6.pdf (153k)
- - By Duke (***) Date 02-07-2011 20:45
If your procedures are OTHERWISE QUALIFIED to Clause 4, and all you need is CVN test, then you can run the vertical up for CVN testing and you're covered all positions.
Parent - By Nalla (***) Date 02-08-2011 20:56
Duke
Anotherwords, Qualification range/limitation must meeet Table 4.5 first as it is essential variable. If existing PQR not impact tested but reqd by contract spec. then i can opt for qualifying separate 3G PQR and impact tested to qualify for all positionional welding including vert. down.

Also if i already have  3G PQR (with impact tested ), then i can write new WPS combining 1G,2G,4G,5G, 6G, 6GR PQR with 3G PQR as long as other essential variable complied with.

Pls advise dear experts

Thanks
- By apwec (*) Date 09-26-2013 14:30 Edited 09-26-2013 14:33
Duke,
I don't agree with you since the table 4.6 specifies supplementary essential variables and thus it always goes with the table 4.5.
Nalla,
The meaning of item 6 of Table 4.6 is that the vertical-up position qualifies for all positions only regarding CVN requirements.
That happens because the vertical-up progression results in worse CVN test values due to higher heat input not only with respect to
vertical-down but also to all other positions and thus if you pass the impact test at vertical-up position you qualifies for all
other positions regarding impact test requirements. A look at this link could help you clearly understand this issue:
http://www.weldinguide.com/gdanastasiadis/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=397
regards
apwec
- - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-26-2013 15:14
Maybe it's just me, but isn't that EXACTLY what Duke said 7 MONTHS ago. 

Why do some organizations think they need to drudge up old threads and pick a disagreement just to post a link to their own website promoting themselves to others?

Duke specifically stated that PQR's needed to be tested to other criteria first and that if CVN's were then required additionally for the job that they could be done with only one test plate from Table 4.6 in the vertical up progression.  When combined with Nalla's question it appears to work together and explain what appears to have been a misunderstanding by Nalla between the Tables and wondering if one was saying the vertical only qualifies for vertical (which it does) but that the other said the vertical qualifies for all positions (which it does but is an entirely different application as the first is for Procedure Qualification and also qualifies the welder for that position in those parameters while the second is only qualifying for CVN's).

Isn't that what this new post is also stating? 

I know I occasionally misunderstand Nalla, but I was pretty sure this one was nailed down.

That answered Nalla's question as I read it and appears to be an accurate statement.  Did I miss something?  I'm probably just tired.  But some things just irk me.  Especially when EVERY post some people put up has a link to promote themselves.  Why must we have a link to go to when a few words already posted answers the question? 

Besides,  I don't go to links unless I know the person and feel they can be trusted in case of viruses and other issues.   I don't know this poster and sure don't trust his motives and/or methods so why should I trust his link?  They won't even give us a name. 

Now, before I blow off too much, their answer appears to be correct also.  But why was it thrown in at this point?  I know, we all add input on occasion some time after conversation has ended.  But saying we disagree with another poster and then stating what appears to be the same idea...  I better just go before John has to chastise me. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-28-2013 16:02
As is usually the case, I agree with Brent. Self serving links? Booooo!

Al
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 09-28-2013 20:40
I don't agree with Brent, it was 31 months ago. :twisted::twisted::twisted:
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-28-2013 21:33
Oh Great!! 

You are correct!  I'm going to have to have my glasses permanently attached to my face so I don't try to do things without them.  2 years and 7 months!

That's even worse. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Nalla (***) Date 09-29-2013 02:19
Dear Experts
Does one has to be so suspicions on Forum Members intentions?

As for me simply a great learning platform.. No other intention at all.

So, 3G PQR with CVN +2G & 4G PQRs (without CVN) shall support  ONE WPS inclusive of 1G+2G+3G+4G Positions for
1 - Structural Elements & Pipes with circumferential weld(CJP & PJP ) in pipes equal to or greater than 600mm in nominal dia.;  
2 - Structural Fillet welds of any thickness;
3 - Pipe Fillet weld without any diameter restriction.

Thanks for sharing your valuable experience and knowledge.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-29-2013 13:37
Hello Anban;

I would normally feel as you do, but it gets tiresome to see this individual add his link to each and every post, not only here, but in other forums as well.

To see a useful link once or twice or even occasionally is helpful, but to see it time after time is annoying.

Just my opinion for what it is worth.

By the way, It is Shane Feder's birthday this week.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 09-29-2013 17:55
It's a pity Shane no longer frequents this forum! I, for one miss his input.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-29-2013 20:04
Well, I wish him a happy birthday anyway.  And I miss him around here as well.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Nalla (***) Date 09-30-2013 08:21
Shane Feder, Happy Birthday Wishes to you.
Hope you can share your thought as well asap
Thanks
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / AWS D1.1-2008-Table 4.1 x 4.5 x 4.6