Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / materials without tag [I need urgent answers]
- - By doyenofcastle (**) Date 02-08-2011 05:19
we have a lot materials in our store divided in to batch 1) without MTC and no marking   2)with MTC and without marking
how I can use this materials for our offshore project ?my colleague told me we can make lab test report but this test is product analysis test and for case number1 we need ladle analysis as mandatory , for case 2  when we received this report I can do my own marking to this materials or not ?
materilas is hollow section square and rectangular with different dimension and thickness.
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 02-08-2011 09:29
The best is to get your client answers.
Parent - - By doyenofcastle (**) Date 02-08-2011 10:00
I want to know what I can do , also may be they will require unnecessary procedures ,also for my knowledge
Parent - By bert lee (**) Date 02-08-2011 15:51
your project specification, quality manual, inspection and test plan could help you to know what to do...this will definetely help you to gain knowledge of the project requirements

bert
Parent - By HELLTACO (*) Date 02-08-2011 17:16
If you gots the mtc I cud right the numbers on them for cheep.  send me a emale
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 02-09-2011 19:39
Someone has bought those materials. To buy the material, someone has placed a purchase order. The purchase order states (or at least should have stated) the kind of material that was covered and the certificates that were to be handed by the vendor to the purchaser.

Then, when the vendor delivered the material, someone checked that the material actually delivered was exactly what the purchase order stated, and that the required certificates were included. Without this checking no payment to the vendor is authorized.

So, as you see, it's not that difficult to gather the information you need.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 02-10-2011 01:03
The major issue is "no marking or without marking". What can you advise Prof if you are 1) the customer? 2) the contractor?

Regards
Joey :)
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 02-11-2011 17:37 Edited 02-14-2011 17:25
The main document I'd require to see is the purchase order. It describes what the purchaser has paid for and the vendor is committed to supply.
The second document is the vendor's proposal. This doesn't replace the purchase order but may clear up some points that in the purchase order aren't sufficiently clear.
The third document is the material acceptance signed by the purchaser representative.
These three documents should be sufficient to clear out all of the doubts.
If not, I'd say Tim Gary has given the only feasible solution.

Now, if I were doyen, before putting it in action, I'd try to convince my customer to accept the product analysis in lieu of the ladle analysis, complemented by the tensile strength of the material (A 36, as doyen says). Any qualified lab should be able to run both. If I were the customer I surely would accept this procedure.
I don't know how things are in UAE nor in the States. I know how they are in Brazil.

Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 02-08-2011 21:09
If you can't provide competant material traceability with the materials you have, then you need to get new materials.
Make sure the vendor knows when you order them that MTR's and Heat numbers are required.
When you unload and inspect the material, transfer the heat number to each piece.
When you cut parts, transfer the heat number to each part, especially drops that are left over so you can maintain traceability.
You need to see exactly what the contract says about traceability.
Some customers require traceability maps as well, which record the heat number and MTR for each part with location identified on a drawing.
Parent - By doyenofcastle (**) Date 02-10-2011 04:23
if I'm the local supplier of ASTM A36 plates and I sold one plate to xyz company then this company sold to   ABC comapny then sold to a fabrication company the qc inspector accept the plate as the marking and it's inside the tolerance ,for MTC every thing is clear as material information .for the stamps of the company main distributor ,  XYZ  and ABC what QC inspector  should find in the MTC .also for the main manufacture of plate he shall stamp by his stamp or not ?
I'm working in UAE and here it's different because they receive materials according to many standards just i want to see what is the procedure in USA
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / materials without tag [I need urgent answers]