Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / scratch start tig question for pipe test??
- - By Chris2626 (***) Date 02-08-2011 18:03
I've gotta take a pipe test tomorrow and only real world tig pipe welding was done in a shop using HF with a foot pedal for total control. I've practiced at home using scratch start on pipe and my question is this. I know i have heard you can flick the tungsten off the filler metal to get it going so you don't risk breaking tungsten off in your weld puddle an i have done this or you can use a scrap piece of copper to get it going so you don't whined up breaking the tungsten off in your puddle. I'm really not sure if this test if it will be x-rayed but want to go into thinking it will be. Have any of you used the piece of copper to light off of to get going?? I'm assuming if u use this you would just place it near the edge of where you will be welding but then I guess you gotta worry about the copper arcing off the pipe as well. Just curious to know of how you guys do it?

Thanks
Chris
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 02-08-2011 18:49
I was taught to scratch off the filler metal never heard of or seen anyone use copper
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 02-08-2011 18:55
I seen it once in a welding book and Tommyjoking just told me about it as well so I found a piece of copper in my garage and will take it along as well if the filler metal thing doesn't workout to well. i've done it off the filler metal a few times. Just want to try and be as pre-paired as I can.

Thanks Joe
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 02-08-2011 22:20
Joe i played around with the striking it off the filler rod and it went pretty good, much better then last time i tried so I shouldn't have a problem now tomorrow
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 02-08-2011 22:40
I recommend you be sure to put a decent blunt on the end of the tungsten (not a point), and turn the "dig" or "arc force" down to zero.
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 02-08-2011 22:50
I tried playing with that today as well i would grind to a sharp point and then barely touch it on the grinder and knock off that sharp point and it seems like it didn't want to break off as easily. My sa 200 didn't have the arc force on it but will remember that tip if i'm on the job.

Thanks for the tips
Chris
Parent - By scrappywelds (***) Date 02-09-2011 02:21
Remember a quick flick with the filler rod, to slow and it will arc out and weld to thge tungsten. If test machine has lift arc just tuch the tungsten and lift up to arc.
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 02-09-2011 03:08
Also with scratch, when you are done welding, if you break the arc up the fill rod you won't ever arc strike the pipe.
Parent - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 02-09-2011 16:53
i just slide the rod like flicking a match across the tungsten.
Parent - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 02-09-2011 16:54
go fast tho cause if u go slow enough ur rod will stick to the tungsten and probly get an arc marc on the pipe. so go real fast.
- By Eric Carroll (**) Date 02-09-2011 04:48
if you arent good at flicking the filler, try laying it in the bevel and scratch starting off the filler.
- - By 47Harley (*) Date 02-09-2011 12:49
I have to go take a test on this also but it's all fusion welding. I've been practicing some but are there any tricks to not contaminating the weld when you don't have filler to start off of?
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 02-09-2011 15:23
So how is starting off the filler supposed to provide an advantage?
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 02-09-2011 17:30 Edited 02-09-2011 17:33
Thanks guys for the tips, for after more then 3 years since tig welding stainless it went pretty good I felt. The pay totally s*cks though, they would only offer me 20 an hour an a 1099 form at the end of the year which i'm not sure exactly how this works. I guess you pay all your taxes in the end which is a real bummer. The good thing would be to go do it a few months to get back to where i was when i use to tig weld and get outta there. Gonna think abut it a day or so, hate to take it because i'm screwing myself and any other welder who were to come along.

Did learn a cool trick though today to avoid having a fish eye which was to slowly walk the cup out and long arcing it a bit before breaking the arc and it didn't leave a fish eye.
Parent - - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 02-09-2011 21:29
Chris, Just a heads up $20.00 /hr. on a 1099 is worth about $14.00/hr. because YOU are responsible for ALL taxes at the end of year!!!!! Companies SHABBY, why you ask? Because they don't want to carry employees on the books, get out of paying workers comp., FICA contributions, Fed. & state unemployment comp. , Liability ins. , and the list goes on. Not the same as a rig welder but your being considered a contract employee which the Fed. Gov. has STRICT guidelines to qualify you as such. Being in business I hate companies that try and cut corners like this and WISH the FED. GOV. would crack them GOOD!!!! From: PITTSBURGH HOME OF THE STEELERS!!!!!
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 02-09-2011 22:50
Thats about what I figured it would be, I thought hell I could use them for a couple of months to get my hand back and split, suppose to show up Friday but I don't know maybe someone else will call after all the apps i've sent out everywhere
- By Francisford (**) Date 02-09-2011 19:22
we would use the copper to shape our point before welding aluminum.  Now I just use the sharpener that we have in the shop and after a couple of mins the end is pretty blunt anyway.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / scratch start tig question for pipe test??