Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hastelloy welding
- - By iran gaytan Date 02-09-2011 17:03
Could someone give me give me some pointers on what setup to go with on a 2 inch schd 80 carbon steel pipe that i will be putting a hastelloy filler wire tig root pass with either a 1/8 or3/32 wire size.(with setup i mean amperage range,land(if any),and gap). thanks
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-09-2011 17:52
Iran

Welcome to the forum!

"Hastelloy"  is actually a whole family of alloys.

Try to find out exactly which type of Hastelloy you will be joining and the advice you get will be much more specific.

Examples are Hastelloy X, Hastelloy W, Hastelloy C,  Etc.

Here is a  free link to Haynes International.  They are the patent holders on the Hastelloy group of metals and there is quite a bit of information here too.
http://www.haynesintl.com/cralloys.htm
Parent - - By iran gaytan Date 02-09-2011 18:34
Thanks lawrence for your reply. I really dont know which type im dealing since its for a test coming up for me. The test though is for an oil refinery,so maybe you know which type it could be?
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 02-09-2011 19:23
An oil refinery uses a lot of types of alloys, depending on many factors, one of which is the oil origin: Middle East, Russia, Venezuela, Gulf of Mexico etc. etc.
So, it's impossible to state what tipe of Hastelloy you're talking about just by saying that it'll be used in an oil refinery.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By PipeIt (**) Date 02-09-2011 19:46
The OP says its on 2" schedule 80 carbon with an undefined hastelloy filler rod wouldn't the PQR, WPS, etc state the rod alloy.

My bet is they are using the carbon alloy pipe for cost reasons are local does the same thing on some of the Stainless tests.

PI
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 02-09-2011 20:53
45deg bevel.
Feather edge.
Make sure you point the tungsten right at the pipe bevel edge and hesitate for a split second to make sure you have good fusion (this will be even more critical on Hastelloy pipe.
Keep it clean as possible. Grind and acetone or you'll get the creepin crud.
Keep your torch closer to perpendicular than you are used to with other alloys.
Purge.
Stay way from the small wire. Use 1/8 and set it right on the gap which should be very slightly less than the filler diameter.
If your wire seperates from the puddle stop, do not try to get back into it, grind your stop clean and feathered and start again.
The link Lawrence provided should give you good parameter advice.
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 02-13-2011 17:39
having done a lot of hastelloy W and X welding, the biggest thing of note is that it runs a little more "sluggish" and with less wetting than steels.  Basically it runs like any other nickel alloy.   I actually kinda like it, unless you're trying to go for deep penetration or keyholing.

Just make sure you wash out to the sidewalls or you'll lack of fusion and cold shuts.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hastelloy welding