Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / IMT Cert?
- - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-09-2011 20:02
I was asked today about IMT welding certification.   

Possibly related to DOD work on heavy vehicles.

I know nothing..

IMT may even be a typo... anything close?

Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 02-10-2011 00:51
Lawrence

INDUSTRIAL MAINTENANCE TECHNOLOGY CERTIFICATES from Community Colleges?

Community Colleges?

Good Luck

Marshall
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 02-10-2011 03:46
Hello Lawrence, I believe Waccobird, hit the nail on the head. In our area they have instituted those very same programs. In most cases these things come along when they have a group of people that they are trying to serve within the constraints of a short window. Possibly a large company has downsized, shutdown, or otherwise left a large number of folks out of work. In a case like this there might be a demand in another area/craft/trade for a number of individuals.
     So, the school decides that they can serve this need by coming up with a group of classes to provide possible entry-level trainees to answer this need. I am not particularly in favor of these sorts of endeavors as they generally produce undertrained individuals lacking in the necessary skills and they also tend to misrepresent the students capabilities. In many cases, schools that follow these sorts of programs are doing so due to state "suggestions/demands" and aren't necessarily serving the best interests of the students or the industry.
     But...... that money is available and needs to be spent or it will be lost. As far as your welding program goes and it's part in this scenario, I generally find that it tends to discredit your program. Afterall, I went to such and such school and that's what they taught me. The person that hears this doesn't have the full story and may never know that you have a terrrific program and one individual doesn't represent your school accurately. Just a few cents from me. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-10-2011 11:27
Allan,  Marshall

This is exactly the case.  Just as you have both described.

I was looking for a real Cod/DOD certification... But that wasn't at all what was being discussed.

Thanks for the enlightenment.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / IMT Cert?