Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / CJP with backing, pre-root pass configuration
- - By Scamperator Date 02-09-2011 23:27
(GMAW process .045" Metalcore wire)
Welding in a 1G position, in a T configuration (turn the T on its side and that is the joint in question), the Vertical parent metal extends approx. 8" above the joint to be welded and the other parent metal extends horizontaly several feet from the joint.  The vertical member is 4" thick and the horizontal is 1/2" thick.  Because of lack of access to the "other" side, there is a 1/2" backing bar placed first to the vertical member with 1/4" extending from the tip of the 45 degree bevel that is placed on the vertical member for a single bevel full pin joint config.  Now the question is, if we pre-weld a root pass joining the backing bar to the parent metal (at the edge of the bevel), and THEN place the Horizontal member against the backing bar and tack into place, then weld a second root pass joinint the backing bar to the vertical member, and then finish out the bevel with the necessary hot passes, IS the first root pass we place considered part of the horizontal member now and we then need another 3/16" root opening beyond the toe of that, OR is the first root pass just considered pre-welding a portion of the joint before it is assembled? 

The reason for doing the pre-pass is because of the gun angle not being sufficient enough with the restriction from the vertical member extending above the joint.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-10-2011 00:31
Scamp

Welcome to the forum!

Your posting in the wrong place!

Copy this post (very good question) and paste it into a new thread in the "technical section"

Not many people will look here and you want lots of good advice eh?
Parent - By Scamperator Date 02-10-2011 13:03
Oh! Thanks!  This is my first post and I was unsure to begin with...I appreciate your help.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / CJP with backing, pre-root pass configuration