Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Hot dip galvanising
- - By Shane Feder (****) Date 02-10-2011 01:23
We have to hot dip galvanise numerous small piping spools with weld neck raised face flanges.
Is there any way to protect the flange "serrations" during the galvanising process.
Have considered bolting blind flanges on the ends of spools but unless we get the bolts perfectly central we will have areas ungalvanised inside the bolt holes.
Any suggestions / advice ?,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 02-10-2011 17:27
http://www.pumachemical.com/galvastop/Galvastop%20Info%20Sheet.pdf

these guys seem to have a product, I have zero experience with them
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-10-2011 17:52
We've used that product on threaded stud's threads before...it works...sort of. We found it makes a mess, so much so that we just stack a bunch of machine nuts on the stud to cover all of the threads and then take off the nuts when it comes back from galvanizing.

You paint that stuff on the areas where you do not want the galvanizing, then when it comes back from the galvaizer, you wire brush the area to get that stuff off. It turns to a chaulky, crusty sort of film that has to be removed with power tools.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-10-2011 17:58
Not picturing your delima very well in my mind, so forgive me if this sounds silly.....just make sure you use vent holes if you have any hollow areas, or the galvanizing process will make vent holes for you, that is, if the galvanizer doesn't take their set of torches and blow enormous, holes that look like a alligator took a bite out of it<---take my word for it, they take no pride in creating vent holes for their customers.
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 02-11-2011 00:35
Thanks guys, much appreciated,
Regards,
Shane
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Hot dip galvanising