Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Reciprocation process with AWS
- - By weldorguy (*) Date 02-10-2011 02:26
Thank you for taking the time to open and read my little thread here. I'm wondering if there are people on here expierenced with the reciprocation process. I live in Canada and imho when you read CSA, CWB, and TSSA books they are standards which aren't legislated or enforced and break down to "good ideas", "don't apply" and aren't "used" by companies that do nuke contracts.

****Please understand I'm not looking to debate the code or standard or the validity of my information I bring; fact is even in my own humble opinion the CSA, TSSA and CWB are "great ideas" and have had their share of contributions to different standards all over the world but here the only time someone gets concerned is when the client wants recourse.****

I just want to approach this situation as best I can.

OK here goes and please excuse my ignorance.

If the Company:

is CWB complient (they use the standard as a guideline but the ones implimented are tougher and more opperator intense)

prefers and refer to AWS and ASME for a better and clearer discription of whats expected.

uses an AWS style WPS and PQR system because they find the "Canadianized" version falls short.

....and the list goes on but you get the fundamentals.

Many of us here in Ontario concider American/UK standards more complete (and did i mention more safe) then the Canadian. (for examples Bricklayers are big supporters of US standards and proceedures and if you don't have the ticket then your the help)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'm hoping you guys can help here...

J
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-10-2011 13:59
Codes, in general, delineate the minimum requirements. The contractor/manufacturer/fabricator can institute more stringent requirements in their in-house procedures as long as those in-house procedures at least meet the minimum requirements of the codes invoked by legislation.

This holds true with many welding standards as well. The ASME sets out the minimum requirements for the information presented in a WPS, it specifies what data and tests must be performed when qualifying a WPS, but it does not prohibit a company from writing WPSs with more information for the welder nor does it restrict the company from performing additional tests as they see fit for their intended purpose.

I am not familiar with CWB requirements, but I suspect they follow the same lines of thought as US welding standards.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 02-10-2011 14:06
Here in the oil industry most of the oil companies have their own in house specifications which go above and beyond the ASME and other codes.  Our slack suppliers then will often try to get themselves off the hook for "non-critical" welds by submitting supplier deviation requests for the contract which say "will certify to ASME section IX."
- By weldorguy (*) Date 02-11-2011 04:56 Edited 02-11-2011 04:58
Al and OBEWAN,

First off thanks for responding to my post. Al I agree with this is the minimum and I find Its the little details that make the job go easier and quality better. Nuke energy is fussy... welding something as "simple" as little elbow on a piece of pipe costs the supplier wanting it done $40,000 just because a supplier wants a compliance variable in material he's supplying.... the good thing is that when were done he can take it to other Nuke stations and fabrication shops and display what his material can and can not be in compliance with and is more readily accepted then CSA because of the tougher and more thorough testing and documentation process.

Any ideas on how to present it? I've been keeping written and Photographic documentation for years and am wondering if Supplying everything I can is best or if its even needed? I don't want to be "that guy" that talks numbers (as my daughter turns 16 next week and I'm starting to feel old enough at 34) but I've been welding for 21 wonderful years (my grandfather was my inspiration and a welding "machinest", cousin is P-Eng, and my father a Professional Chemical Eng) so you could say I've been "groomed" into the field but my inspecting and supervising expierence is just short of 16 years.

hopefully this helps everyone and I would like to thank everyone who takes or took the time to read this post and like to add that in contradition to what I've read on some other forums (specifically geared for CWI guys) that I've called AWS and have found them friendly and very patient.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Reciprocation process with AWS