Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / RT for A5.18
- - By doyenofcastle (**) Date 02-10-2011 09:23 Edited 02-10-2011 09:27
does RT test required for A5.18 electrode ER70S3 ,last time I received electrode certification but they not wrote any results for RT test
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 02-10-2011 15:53
There will be a section in A5.18 that states required tests.
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 02-10-2011 19:06
ER70S-3 used for GMAW has the following test requirements
Electrode Chemical Analysis
RT
Tension Test
Impact Test

Diffusible H2 test is only required if the purchaser requires it or the Mfg puts the diffusible H2 designator on the label

There is an option for basing the results of any or all of the tests made on the GTAW test assembly in Annex A
Parent - - By doyenofcastle (**) Date 02-13-2011 04:53
for this attached Certification I reject and asking for the correct tests required , but supplier  said almost of certification in UAE here is the same this test will be mention in case of I had asked in my purchase order ,but in PO I asked only generally for 7018 DIA. 5/32 in ,
Attachment: ESAB.jpg (0B)
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-24-2011 14:20
AWS A5.01 is the guide to procuring welding filler metals. It goes into details as to how to order the filler metals to get what you need in the way of quality control and supporting documentation.

The basic testing requirements used to comply with the applicable AWS A5.XX filler metal specification are very limited. I am exaggerating to make a point, but that is the purpose of my example. The manufacturer's quality control program may only require a PQR be run once a year to demonstrate the filler metal will meet the minimum requirements of the applicable AWS A5.XX specification. Their QC program may specify one sample a year must be subjected to chemical analysis to demonstrate the QC program is functional and the materials produced meet the minimum requirements. Keep in mind most manufacturer are going well beyond the minimum requirements required to meet the applicable AWS A5.XX specification to ensure the materials are in compliance, but this is again, just an example.

If the situation I describe is not going to meet your needs, you must define your requirements in your purchase order. There are several levels of test you can specify to ensure a level of quality control you, as the purchaser, can demand if it is properly and completely defined in the purchase order. AWS A5.01 provides a listing of the types of tests available and the types of supporting documentation the purchaser can define and receive from the filler metal manufacturer.

The minimum documentation the manufacturer is required to provide per an AWS A5.XX specification is the label on the box of rod or spool of electrode. No other documentation is required unless it is specified in the purchase order. The purchase order should list the “schedule” of testing required as well as the supporting documentation required. AWS A5.01 makes no provisions for third party oversight or auditing. Each manufacturer develops their own QC system and there are no audits preformed by AWS to ensure the QC system is actually implemented.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By petty4345 (**) Date 02-24-2011 14:53
I always thoght that if a manufacturer used for example a 1 year cycle for a "typical" cert, that they were required to do all of the testing that is required (each year) for whatever the product is to ensure "if tested, this electrode will meet the requirements of ...."
I did not know that they could pick and chose just chemical for instance?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-24-2011 15:21
Different A5.XX specifications require different tests. You have to read the specification to know what tests are "required".

The manufacturer is not required to issue a "typical" cert. The label on the filler metal is the certification that it complies with A5.XX.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By petty4345 (**) Date 02-24-2011 16:17
I agree, you have to check what is required for the material you are buying.
In the OPs case:
ER70S-3, Electrode Chemical Analysis
RT
Tension Test
Impact Test
If this is purchased and schecule F is on the purchase order, schedule f says "a summary of the typical properties.....to be supplied when requested in writting." doesn't this mean that in this case a typical cert should have results for:
Electrode Chemical Analysis
RT
Tension Test
Impact Test ?
Or, does the first sentence of sched. F let the manufacturer decide what to test? (level of testing)
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / RT for A5.18