Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / weave vs. lace
- - By diverdileo (*) Date 02-10-2011 12:11
I hear many refer weav welds as lace welds and vice versa, but I believe it two be too seperate methods. Can any one explain in their own words or give technical definitions explain the difference in the two methods. Also attatched  or linked photos would be great.

In addition what are the advantages and disadvantages of one method over the other and when would one be used more than the other.

Thanks.
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 02-10-2011 13:23 Edited 02-10-2011 16:36
From a metallurgical and weld integrity standpoint, there is no advantage of either lace or weave.  The best grain structure and weld integrity come from stringer beads.  Weave beads have more heat input, larger grains, and can trap slag which can cause failure of impact tests when certifying or compromise weld integrity in service.

Most weld specifications limit weave for this reason.  However, some grace is required for the weldor who is forced to work in the real world because it is realized that weave may be necessary to fill root gaps and for other reasons.  The specs I work with every day limit weave to 3 x electrode diameter or 10mm, which is less than 1/2 inch.  And, we often restrict critical welds to stringer bead only.

I think Lace is just a big weave that goes side to side and up and down if I am not mistaken.  Not sure what it means in weldor slang, but I think I have seen it.  It looks awful.

I see now your post is regarding GTAW, so the slag comments do not apply - but the grain size and poor toughness are still a concern with wide weaves.

When people talk about weave it is usually SMAW or FCAW and they always mention slag entrapment. That is why I went off half cocked.  LOL
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 02-11-2011 18:14
"Not sure what it means in weldor slang, but I think I have seen it.  It looks awful."

Got that right.  We used to call it a shipyard weave, and anyone who's seen welds on ships built prior to the 90s will attest to the ugliness of those welds.  Bigger HAZ, slag inclusions, all a bad recipe for unsound welds.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / weave vs. lace