Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Colors of welders glasses
- - By Nitrowelding (**) Date 02-13-2011 00:38
I see all the old timers wear the rose tinted glasses, reason being as repeated by most of them "it makes the puddle brighter" one has about every color the make and said stay away from yellow because it's too bright. My question is what colors do you wear and why do you think they are the best?
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-13-2011 00:40
I have Rose and Transitions. Just because I like those the best. Personal preference I guess
Parent - - By Nitrowelding (**) Date 02-13-2011 17:20
Cactus, do the transition lenses change fairly quickly? Like between passes while wearing a pancake? Or are they stable so they kind of match the conditions?
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-13-2011 20:58 Edited 02-14-2011 02:12
They will not change under your hood. They are Stable. I also found that when I have on my Transitions, I never notice the Change. I never even realize that they have changed until I see a Mirror or something
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-13-2011 01:44
I've got some blue and they brighten things up. Have not tried the rose color and yellow is real bright. Prefer the yellow when I'm poking holes in paper on the range.
Parent - By Johnny Walker (***) Date 02-13-2011 23:45
I've got blue,rose,black,and some funky black cherry color I guess you'd call it that girl at Tom Waters like to aggravate me everytime I order glasses!!
Parent - By jffluxcore (**) Date 02-14-2011 00:18
The best is a speedglas or opel
- By jpill (**) Date 02-14-2011 00:38
I've got clear, and lavender.
- - By Nitrowelding (**) Date 02-14-2011 02:22
Thanks for the replys guys, Im only 32 and already realizing getting older is going to be hell, but I'm going to try to make it as painless as possible! I had to take a DOT physical for a company a couple months back and when I was reading the lines on the chart the lady asked " what line  are you trying to read?" so I got a eye exam and the eye doc takes a look and says "wow you have alot of scars what do you do?" I replyed welder and he says "I figured" I have a stigmatism caused by scar tissue due to having crap plucked and grinded out of my eyes, if any up and coming superstars are reading this PROTECT YOUR EYES! They are your money makers and losing your vision is as bad as losing your hands
Parent - - By jpill (**) Date 02-14-2011 03:24
Funny thing on eye safety, even when wearing safety glasses when chipping, grinding, wire brushing, and all else we do the most unsafe time for our eyes is when we take a break from work and remove the safety glasses when no work is going on around us. All of the worst crap (the fine particles actually do the worst damage) collects in the eyebrows and will get into your eyes when walking by a fan, from a breeze, or when washing your face at the end of a shift. I learned this at an early age from my dad who was a machinist for 40 years. Growing up I can remember him having cast iron dust removed from his eyes on a regular basis, most every time it was at the end of the day when he was picking up tools, locking down the shop, cleaning up, or walking to his truck
Parent - By TozziWelding (**) Date 02-15-2011 21:48
I like the blue ones, they sharpen everything up.
- - By gotpipe597 (**) Date 03-12-2011 23:59
I have the rose and they seem to brighten the puddle up real nice
Parent - - By RioCampo (***) Date 03-13-2011 03:17
I'll throw in a vote for blue also. I have bought lots of them from Tom waters. They have great quality and service.
Parent - - By Skaggydog (**) Date 03-13-2011 03:35
Not being much of a weldor, I'd like to ask, if rose colored glasses "make the puddle brighter" why not just use a lighter filter lens?
Parent - - By Johnny Walker (***) Date 03-13-2011 04:02
The colored lense actually let's u see threw the smoke to make the puddle more visible. I think it's called iridium smoke that it blocks I may be wrong but I read it somewhere.
Parent - By Nitrowelding (**) Date 03-13-2011 15:27
That's probably why the "cool blue" lenses work so well
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Colors of welders glasses