Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hello from the nuclear world!
- - By Metarinka (****) Date 02-13-2011 19:18
Just thought I would stop on by, I haven't been posting much lately. Due to the amount of work I'm doing.

As some of you may know, I'm now a government spook, I do welding engineering work for nuclear submarines and aircraft carriers. I've been constantly blown away by the level of quality in workmanship and engineering. Think of the most stringent work you've done, now multiply the requirements by 10.  Even commercial nuke work pales in comparison with the requirements we have.  I wish I could talk more, it's extremely interesting and in many cases ground breaking, however understandably so it's extremely classified. I'll try to stop by more often always nice to talk to fellow welders.

Regards.

Henry if I recall didn't you serve on a Nuclear sub?
Parent - - By Showdog75 (*) Date 02-13-2011 23:31
I got the pleasure of building some super heater elements for the USS Kittyhawk several years ago. I loved the fact that the Navy wanted nothing less than perfect. That kind of work was a pleasure to be a part of even though it wasn't nuclear.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 02-14-2011 17:52
Showdog,
I'm sorry to say that in this same Forum I've read quite a few comments telling that the U.S. Navy have accepted a lot of less than acceptable welds.
I felt extremely surprised at reading so.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By Showdog75 (*) Date 02-15-2011 03:17
I guess it depends on the application of the weld or parts. I was working on high pressure boiler tubing and we were held to perfection. I can't speak for others and there experience just mine.
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 02-15-2011 17:43
The majority of the comments were related to the ship hull's welding.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 02-13-2011 23:33
I spent 8.5 years as a welding engineer for a major contractor in the navy nuke business. I agree with all you said.  It was the best place I ever worked.
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 02-14-2011 17:21
good to see I'm not alone.

It definitely is a different world. I like the fact that I get to do an abundance of research. Most welding engineering jobs are focused on getting product out the door, I've enjoyed publishing papers and setting up experiments.
Parent - - By Jenn (***) Date 02-14-2011 23:05
Sounds fuuuuuuuun! So glad you're enjoying it, and getting to do some challenging things. That always makes the day go by, well.... Interestingly at least! :)
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 02-15-2011 00:57
It sounds like you are relishing the work.  It is a true pleasure to work anywhere they do it by the numbers, I mean engineering not sales or production.  I truly enjoyed working on the high end of things what little I have had the opportunity to do.  I am glad for ya Joel! I know you will do right by your responsibilities.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-15-2011 06:41
Yeppers! I also helped build a few also "grasshopper! ;)"

So you're finally discovering my world!!! ;) Enjoy, but don't brag too much because remember even if you're not leaking - you're still being watched all the time,
and even if you leave... They'll still be watching you... So remember this WWII saying: "Loose Lips Sink Ships!!!"

Respectfully,
Henry
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hello from the nuclear world!