Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Good welding shirts
- - By rcwelding (***) Date 02-16-2011 01:26
I have been burning through shirts like crazy lately..   I hate wearing leathers when it starts getting warm..  So what shirts do you guys prefer or recommend..??

Thanks..!!
    RC
Parent - - By thermopsummit (*) Date 02-16-2011 01:31
Tom Waters has Lapco shirts (made in usa) with and without fr rating, fr's are very reasonably priced as well. Lapco is good gear
Richard
Parent - By bigrod (**) Date 02-16-2011 01:45
I totally agree!  Lapco shirts are all I've worn for the last 6 years!  I also put heavy startch on all of my shirts, it helps keep them from burning up so bad.
Parent - By ibeweldingsum (***) Date 02-16-2011 02:25
Parent - By rcwelding (***) Date 02-16-2011 03:32
Thanks guys..!! Looks like Lapco gets the vote.. I will be getting a few shortly..!!

RC
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-16-2011 03:43
WHATEVER Brand you wear, have them Xtra Heavy Starch 3-4 times before working in them. That will prolong them more than the Brand Name
Parent - - By rcwelding (***) Date 02-16-2011 04:59
Doesnt that starch rub a hole through your hide..??

RC
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-16-2011 12:13
No, It is a little uncomfortable for the first few minutes. But after that its great ! Fire will roll right off !
Parent - - By rcwelding (***) Date 02-16-2011 13:41
I have been wearing Dickies carpenter pants for years and I don't think I have ever had them catch on fire or even get slag holes in them, They are tough as heck..

Now the Dickies industrial work shirts which is what I have been wearing burn up like crazy...  My shirts look like I have been shot with buck shot..LOL

I am going to start getting a different brand.. I'm going to try this over starch thing too I guess.. Do you have to starch them after every wash or can you go a couple times before you need to re-starch... I have never starched clothes.. It just seems like it would rub you raw..lol

RC
Parent - By bigrod (**) Date 02-18-2011 01:04
I have a rotation of about 14 shirts.  Every week my wife takes them to the dry cleaners and they get the XXXXX heavy startch put on them.  If you wash them in a washing machine you will loose all of your startch out of them and have to start over.  It may seem expensive to have them drycleaned and startched every week, but I use it as a tax write off.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-16-2011 13:15
Listen to Cactus on this one.

Starch on shirts and Polish/Saddle soap/Mink Oil on your boots will make each of them last at least twice as long as if you diddn't use the stuff.

Not really that much effort if you think about it and it really does work and save money.
Parent - By J Hall (***) Date 02-16-2011 13:26
I got some BB shirts from Tom Waters. They are well made,priced right, fit good, and made in USA
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-16-2011 21:45
Lapco and Carhartt shirts, medium weight for inspections, heavy for welding.  In the winter I just put the heavy overtop of the medium.  Good for most days here in AZ.

Carhartt pants.  I love the side pockets rather welding or inspecting.  Let's me carry some of my favorite inspection tools without a tool bag when doing a lot of climbing in difficult positions.

My wife has made a fair number of extra heavy denim shirts for me through the years.  Heavy denim is hard to find in our small community here.  Has to be shipped in from warehouses.  Helps keep the cost down if you order enough but it is still expensive.  If the wife doesn't sew, just stick with some of the ones named here.  They work pretty good.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 02-23-2011 22:33
Man i wear martian brothers from texas. And i just put a light startch on them.  I have had 9 shirts for over a year now. Just starting to get hole in them. And plus whats even better is the bottom doesnt fold up to trap sparks. It fold to the inside. I love them.
- - By roundydownie (**) Date 02-16-2011 02:43
lapco and martin bros
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 02-16-2011 03:08
Faye carter from Alabama. You cant hardly burn her shirts up I have had all mine for three plus years and I pipeline. Not the most comfortable shirt but she will make you any design you want with a matching welding cap for around 50 bucks all you have to do is give her your hieght and wieght and then she hand makes them. I dont have the number at this time due to work but maybe someone on here does.
Parent - - By rick harnish (***) Date 02-16-2011 03:49
Im gonna find her. I swear. Love giving my money to the little people who build to order. Also interested in the Martin Bros. Never worn em, and wondering if anyone has their " Mountain Cloth" ?
Parent - By Dark_Angel (*) Date 02-16-2011 05:52
Martin Bro's is about all I wear these days. In my opinion I think they are very comfortable and are pretty durable. They have FR and Non-FR shirts and if you buy 12 shirts you get 1 free. Great American made product for sure!
Parent - By A_DAB_will_do (*) Date 02-16-2011 12:23
Mountain cloth is excellent.  wears comfortable.  warm in the winter and cool(for a long sleeve shirt) when the weather warms up.  I'm 6'2", 225 lbs, and wear a XXL.  Sometimes I think the sleeves are a little short, still.  Next time I buy, I think I'll ask if weldingshirt.com has tall sizes available.

Carhart makes a decent snap front work shirt and they sell them in tall sizes.  All the sleeve length you need.  They come with FR treatment too.  Not Cheap....
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 02-16-2011 17:51
Like the others said starch them and they last great.

http://www.mountaincloth.com/

http://allusaclothing.com/flame_resistant_clothing_Made_in_America.aspx

Read tags on lapco and carhartt they aren't made here anymore.
Parent - By JeremyW83 (***) Date 02-16-2011 23:58
I wear Martin Brothers as well.  Troy will also throw in a bag of replacement snaps if you ask no extra charge.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-17-2011 16:27
I've got 4 of their mountain cloth shirts and they are great. I've talked to the owner several times and he's told me that the guys that order these shirts love them cause there tough enough for work yet look good enough to go out to eat in.
Parent - - By hollywood1176 (*) Date 02-16-2011 18:14
Hillbilly where are you located in Alabama? The reason I ask is I am from AL also.
Parent - By scrappywelds (***) Date 02-17-2011 01:08
14 oz. Lapcos from Tom Waters with "The Welder" on it. They last ones I bought were made in Indoneshia or how were it is spelled. I have about 2 years on the last set I bought.
- - By Root Pass (***) Date 02-18-2011 00:17
A few years ago, when Carhartt quit making the kakie shirts with the white pearl snaps, I bought what I could find on ebay. I didn,t know about Lapco then. All of them were new old stock still in the plastic bag. I took the last three I have out of the top of the closet, un wrapped them and sent them to our laundry room for the first wash yesterday. I just looked at the tags and they say "Union made in the USA. ACTWU Amalgamated clothing & Textile Workers Union." Wow how old do you think these shirts are!?! LOL
Parent - By ZCat (***) Date 02-18-2011 21:06
Walls makes good welding shirts, too. Like the old carhartts before they started making them in Mexico.
Parent - By J Hall (***) Date 02-18-2011 22:03
The last denim Carhartt shirts I ordered said "Made in Bangladesh" and cost $3.00 more than the previous "Made in Mexico" version. The cloth wasn't as good either. And, two snaps came off one of the shirts.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-18-2011 22:47
They might not be that old, Martin Brothers shirts are Union made, but you are talking Carhart so they might be pretty old! Picked up some Wrangler shirts at TSC last week for $22, close out sale or something. Pretty heavy, not like Lapco's and of course nowhere remotely close to being made in the USA.
- - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 02-20-2011 00:02 Edited 02-20-2011 00:07
Yeah I used to be a big carharrt fan until the quality went down. I probably have a 1500 or better invested in there clothes. I have noticed in the last couple of years that my clothing wasn't lasting as long and especially there zippers. So it wasnt ti'll about a month ago that I contacted them and said "Hey I usually spend alot of money on your clothes and most of my zippers have fallen apart would you warranty these items and they made a quick turn around statement of no". So then I thought of not buying anymore carharrt stuff. Then after I read these post on here on the carharrt stuff which I havent looked at a tag for along time. I pull off the heavy weight carharrt sweat shirt that I was wearing today at work with a broken zipper and it say's "made in mexico".   So yes they lost my business but more importantly they lost my respect of being what once was a quality usa made product that you could depend on to another sell out money hungry company. I wont be buying and more carharrt products.
Parent - - By J Hall (***) Date 02-20-2011 01:42
I sent them a email to gripe about a $35.00 Bangladesh shirt that two snaps came off the first time I wore it and they blew me off.
But I still buy their bibs and coats. Nothing else out there...
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 02-20-2011 02:17
more out there than you think you just have to get on the net and look
Parent - - By J Hall (***) Date 02-20-2011 14:19
I should have said that I haven't found good insulated bibs or coats other than Carhartt. The bibs are still USA made.
Parent - By thermopsummit (*) Date 02-20-2011 17:12
Just got 2 pairs of carhart brown dbl front jeans both had made in usa tags, also there are roundhouse bibs, made in oklahoma, some made in usa products are specific to material, lapco heavy shirts i dont know about, the 7 oz are still made in usa.
Parent - - By jffluxcore (**) Date 02-20-2011 19:42
send it back to Caharrt.
Parent - - By J Hall (***) Date 02-21-2011 15:38
I was working 7 day weeks, so I just fixed itmyself, but my thought is why pay them for a Bangladesh shirt, when you can still get a USA made BB shirt?
Had I known they were going to be Bangladesh, I would have never ordered them.
Parent - - By ibeweldingsum (***) Date 02-23-2011 18:05
I tried some shirts from Cavenders awhile ago, called (cowboy workwear), and they are just as good as wrangler but have a doubled up sewn hem on the bottom. These thing are only $20 to so I snatched up a bunch and am satisfied so far. Just gotta startch the sh#t out of em.
Parent - - By jrod (**) Date 02-23-2011 19:35
I wear the cowboy workwear shirts also and for the money you can't beat em
Parent - By ibeweldingsum (***) Date 02-23-2011 22:28
Heck no LOL!!
Parent - - By JeremyW83 (***) Date 02-24-2011 00:16
I have actually had good luck with Carhartt.  I have had a couple of zippers go out on the bibs and they sent me knew ones.  They even offered if i sent them in the would do it for free.
Parent - - By nick0812 Date 02-17-2018 15:13
Seems a lot of people having trouble to selecting best welding shirts. I have found a good resource on this topic and feel awesome to share it. Here it is http://toolspost.com/best-welding-shirts-review-mens-cheap-carhartt-rasco/
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 02-19-2018 00:45
Thanks for sharing:smile
A flame resistant jacket / coverall is preferrable in the oil & gas plant.
Parent - By Cham99 Date 03-06-2018 07:05
Thank you for sharing your useful link. I bought the Wrangler Men's Authentic Cowboy Cut Work Western Long-Sleeve Shirt It is my favorite shirt.
- By sochi3d Date 03-15-2018 07:19
Super :grin:
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Good welding shirts