Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Welder Qualification for combination process SMAW and FCAW
- By jmandagie Date 02-16-2011 03:22
I have a situation where we use a combination of SMAW and FCAW for welder qualification of piping, the root of the weld was welded using SMAW up to 5mm and the filler up to the reinforcement was welded up to 7.5mm of a total material thickness of 12.5mm and pipe diameter 6"(150mm). Based on table 4.11 AWS D1.1 it mentioned in it if the diameter more than 100mm and the nominal thickness less and equal to 10mm then the max qualification is 20mm and if the nominal thickness is more than 10mm considering it has the same diameter of 6mm then the max qualification is unlimited. My question is for the combination process above will it be qualified for unlimited or limited up to 20mm? Will the SMAW and FCAW welders be qualified for thickness over 20mm considering they only welded 5mm and 7.5mm of the total of 12.5mm since they welded less than 10mm thick each process?
- - By Kevin Haddad Date 03-27-2011 01:43
If a welder passes a 3G + 4G test with FCAW on 1" plate are they qualified to weld fillet welds in all positions on HSS Box tube?  (Including the radiused area).
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-28-2011 17:22
Welcome to the forum Kevin!

See Table 4.10 for your Welder performance qualification ranges. (and note H)

You also mentioned HSS  (high strength steel?)  .... D1.1 prequalified metals do not include high strength steels. So having qualified production WPS's may also be an issue you will need to look at.
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 03-28-2011 18:05
Lawrence
I believe it was meant as a hollow structural section (HSS)

Marshall
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-28-2011 18:36
Thanks Marchall

Than the applicable table should answer the question  :)
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Welder Qualification for combination process SMAW and FCAW