Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Viewing window for laser welding operation
- - By ATC_LSO Date 02-17-2011 21:50
We are manufacturing a welding system using a Yb:YAG disk laser (1030 nm, 7KW max. output) to weld small aluminum parts.  We have added a viewing window to the light tight enclosure that will accomodate near infrared laser beam but I have concerns that we have not addressed the other hazards associated with the welding process (UV, light intensity, etc.).  We would like to put an addition filter glass over the laser rated viewing window but I am not sure how to spec it.  Can anyone help me with the welding hazards with which I should be concerned and the standard to which I should refer to justify the selection of the filter?
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-18-2011 02:43
Well, Oakley makes sungasses advertised with Thermo Nuclear Protection. Give them a call. Maybe they would send you a pair to demo
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 02-18-2011 03:57
Your viewing window probably accommodates the high intensity infrared...but from other set ups I have used often just as you suspect the UV from the actual welding process is poorly filtered.  You might want to consider a #9 uv filter plate for the operators to view the actual welding process through.   I cannot spec it for you but the UV generated is just as intense as say a low amperage gtaw weld....a #9 would be a good starting point as far as filters go.
Parent - By ATC_LSO Date 02-18-2011 16:35
Thanks.  I am going to get a sample filter to see how dark that is with our NIR viewing window.  The customer wants to be able to see the robots performing the welding and have concerns that a dark filter will keep them from doing that.  Asking our welder if he had a lense that I could borrow to illustrate how visiible the operation would be, he commented that for gtaw, he has his auto-darkening lense set to 12-13.  I am concerned about the safety of the customer's people that may view this operation as well as our own liability.  Thanks again.
Parent - - By ATC_LSO Date 02-18-2011 16:36
Thanks for the suggestion.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-19-2011 07:40 Edited 02-19-2011 07:53
Parent - By ATC_LSO Date 02-21-2011 22:12
Thanks for your help.  I'll look these sites over and figure out what we need.  Thanks again.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Viewing window for laser welding operation