Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Dog log
- - By undercut Date 02-18-2011 14:15
Can anybody tell me the proper term for dog leg? Is it mentioned in ASTM or B31.3 ?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-18-2011 15:03
Tony,

Are you talking about the front or back dog leg??? 

No, seriously, I don't recall seeing anything that would give a 'PROPER' terminology.  Can you describe a little more what this specific dog leg is to help us understand?  Is it in the joint, weld, both?  Transverse or longitudinal?   Type of members: WF, TS, Pipe, plate?  ASME instead of ASTM? 

I'm thinking you are dealing with pipe with B31.3 being involved.

Anyway, maybe someone else will know right off the bat what you are referring to.  My mind has several pictures going through it.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By undercut Date 02-18-2011 17:42
Im sorry for not being more detailed, What I got is a 3'' sch. 40 SS run of pipe.The dog leg was caused by the welder focusing to much heat on one side of the weld and the result was a bow (dog leg) at the weld.
I just now realized I typed 'Dog Log' instead of Dog Leg.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-18-2011 18:03
I believe when you go into your first post to 'edit' you can also modify the topic title.  Not sure, but I think so.

Anyway,  now I can picture what you are referring to.  Not sure about B31.3 but most codes have tolerances for warpage rather in the manufactured pipe or at a weld.  I don't have or use B31.3 so can't be of real help beyond my two tin pennies worth.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-18-2011 18:11
BTW, I went back to an old thread I had started, as the OP if you 'edit' your first post you have the ability to change the subject title as well.  If you want to.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By fschweighardt (***) Date 02-18-2011 21:44
I just thought you needed a better trained dog
Parent - - By scrappywelds (***) Date 02-19-2011 23:49 Edited 02-19-2011 23:54
My best guess would be misalignment or warpage. Warpage sounds better fit to me, i.d. matching up but centerlines of joining members not 180 degrees.
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 02-21-2011 01:16
I guess that term is use for heat checking of tool joints for drilling equipment.
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Dog log