Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / asme ix pipe diameter
- - By n5uzt (**) Date 02-18-2011 20:27
when testing per asme ix what size pipe qual's to what size?
test on 2 1/2 up to what size?
test on 2'' is good up to what size? and down/
test on 4'' or 6'' is good to unlimited?
send me email at n5uzt@swbell.net
Parent - - By dlmann (**) Date 02-19-2011 00:48
QW-452.3
                        GROOVE-WELD DIAMETER LIMITS
__________________________________________________________                                                       
                                                          Outside Diameter
Outside Diameter                                   Qualified, in. (mm)
of Test Coupon, in. (mm)                        _____________________
                                                          Min.                     Max.
(b) 2 7⁄8 in. (73 mm) O.D. is the equivalent of NPS 2 1⁄2 (DN 65)
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 02-19-2011 14:03
n5uzt,
Get the code and read it.
Not sure about the rest of my friends on this forum but there are more and more questions appearing on this forum from people who are too lazy to look for answers themselves.
When you have looked and looked and cannot find an answer, then you post and we try to find something you couldn't locate.
Myself, and most of my knowledgeable friends on here will consider it a challenge to find information that you / someone may not be able to find.
However, what you asked for should have taken you 5 minutes to locate yourself.
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-24-2011 13:49
What, and spend good money to purchase a real copy of the code? Are you crazy?

Good points Shane. If you are going to do the work, be prepared to ante up the cost of the applicable standards. If you are not willing to buy the codes, you cannot afford to take the job.

Just my 2 cents added to Shane's post.

I cannot recount how many times I have visited fabricators to perform verification inspections only to discover they do not own a copy of the appropriate welding code or standard. Likewise, I have encountered inspectors qualifying welders and inspecting work without a copy of the appropriate standard. How can either the fabricator or the inspector possibly believe they can do the task without reading the requirements?

Best regards - Al
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-24-2011 14:56
Another 'ditto' on Al and Shane's comments.

I recently told a welder I would not certify him to Bridge Code because I had never inspected to it and did not have a copy of it.

And I get the same thing doing inspections here and finding the fabricator doing the work doesn't even know what the code numbers in the General Notes are referring to let alone have a copy of the code.  I have asked everyone of them (several have been in this condition) 'How do you expect to meet the contract requirements when you don't even know what they are?'

Get the code and get familiar with it.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By kkfabricator (**) Date 02-25-2011 00:20
I completly agree!! My boss would not buy a copy of D1.1 and until I put the money out myself, than he would probably not even know what it looks like. I studied my ass off to learn the correct way to do things, and he still tries to get around it. Needless to say when he asked me to qualify a welder for D1.3, I said I wouldnt do it, due to the fact that he won't buy the codebook, and I am not familiar with the requirements. I have asked him in the past if he has ANY WPS's, and his response is that the only ones he has ever been asked for sre only for the Welder Qualification Test. I have tried to get him to do things correctly, but he seems to let his ego get in the way of listening to me. I CAN'T WAIT TO FIND ANOTHER JOB!!!! I will not sign or stamp anything unless he does it right, which won't happen, but I will not put my future on the line because he is too cheap to do things correctly. I agree with Al and Shane, buy the code, read it, or don't do the job.

Sorry for the rant, it has been bugging me for a while.
Chuck
Parent - - By jarcher (**) Date 02-25-2011 02:35
LOL, no apology needed as far as I'm concerned. I've run into that 'tude at least a 1000 times, and my career in inspection isn't that long.
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 02-25-2011 04:24
Yeah, those types are everywhere.  You're going to run into them more than you can believe.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 02-25-2011 14:02
I've never added it up but I'll bet we spend conservatively 20k a year on codes and standards. ASME, NBIC, AWS, API, ASTM, ISO, AISC, SSPC, NACE, AWWA, etc., etc.
Parent - By jarcher (**) Date 02-24-2011 17:40
Amen!
Parent - By n5uzt (**) Date 02-27-2011 15:35
thanks for the post, i have asme code on my comp. and a thumb drive that i carry with me as well all other code books from aws
i just could not access it at the time
i tell companies that i do work for to buy the code book that applies to thier job some do some don't.
thanks every one for the comments.
- - By rodofgod (**) Date 02-24-2011 23:18
Hi All!

How can companies even tender for contracts without a copy of the standards required? It will just cost them in the long term.

Regards
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-25-2011 13:50 Edited 02-25-2011 14:26
"The less they know, the more money I make." is my motto.

Nothing cuts into my bottom line more than a fabricator that knows the code and follows the code. However, you cannot follow the code if you do not have a copy to read and follow.

$20K a year for codes? Ouch! That is a heavy piece of gold, but it is still less expensive that scraping a job because of a serious oversight in meeting the requirements of the applicable code. I can say I easily spend on the order of $2.5K per year. I cheat a little bit by purchasing new codes on an as needed basis.  I do not necessarily need to purchase every standard that may be applicable, In some cases I can use the client's copy. If that is not an option, such as when I am working in the capacity of the TPI (I never ask the fabricator to use his copy), there is little option other than to buy a copy of the standards I need to do the job.

Al
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-25-2011 14:10
Very SAD,  BUT OH SO VERY TRUE!!

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / asme ix pipe diameter