Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / fill and cap
- - By weaver (***) Date 02-19-2011 01:48
fill and cap on sch 80 4'' pipe, with 5/32 6p. I was running 135 amps and it looked like ass. Come on you pipeliners what amps are you guys running?
Parent - - By Rig Hand (***) Date 02-19-2011 03:24
Did you weld them non-stop from tack to cap? I think the pipe temp plays a big factor, especial on small bore.

I run 5/32 70+ at 135amps but, I haven't filled and caped with 6010 in a long time. Some of my caps look slick and some look like ass also. Just depends on the day & the amount of coffee :)
Parent - By Johnny Walker (***) Date 02-19-2011 04:03
Ugly welds are just as tuff !! LoL turn down your heat as u go down the pipe top bout 135 side 125 to 130 bottom bout 115 to 120 give or take 5
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-19-2011 13:48 Edited 02-19-2011 13:57
I have not run much 5/32 caps but on my ranger when I was toying around seems like I had it pretty low. Think they call out 100-165 amps on the 6P+ and seems like on my ranger I would set it around 120 ish' maybe a bit more or less, just depended on how it was flowing out, how hot the piece I was welding on was. I ran some on full lengths of 6" pipe though so heat was transferred better and could run it a bit hotter with the 5P+ which runs 90-175 amps I believe is what Lincoln calls out. The days I used it they looked good(for a 6010 rod) but have to agree some days you look at your 6010 cap and think, dang! Am I good or what, other days you look at it and start looking for the guys to start wrapping it quick!! Not that it's undercut or pinholed just don't have that nice gorgeous bead.

On my 250 I'm running 1/8" 5P+ in 2nd gear, around 70 and that is start to finish on full lengths of pipe. Did some 4" 90's, 4 to 3 reducer and 4 foot section of 3" pipe connected to the hot tap at home one night to get ready for the next day and after getting things heated up had machine cranked down to 2nd gear, 55 but back out on the job it had to go back up to 65-70. On my hot pass I'll have a longer arc to help burn out the funk and be moving along pretty quick but with the cap I end up shortening the arc a bit to cool her down give a bit more puddle control then throw in a bit of a swirl. When I get a chance to play around here at the house I try all kinds of crazy stuff, hotter, colder, shorter arc, longer arc, swirl left, swirl right, whip etc., etc. Then again I'm not one to keep swapping settings on the machine, I like to get it set and roll the whole way out. Might be different if I had a remote but I don't.

Sorry, not a "pipeliner" but have run over 2000 feet of the green pipe in the last 6 months and most of the caps looked excellent, something you'd write home about. There are some though where you'd stand back and look at the welder settings, check the temperature outside, think about how you felt, am I sick? Cold? No, feel good, check welder settings again, scratch head and say, why does this cap look like azz?? Don't know if any of this will help out or not, looks like mindless babble for the most part! LoL!

Shawn
Parent - By rcwelding (***) Date 02-19-2011 15:20
Hey weaver I know our machines are totally different but my Vantage fill's and caps better with the arc force set at -4.. I don't know if your Pipe Pro has a arc force control or not.. I have never been around one..

It beads better around +3 then fill and cap -4 

Just a thought... Hope that helps..!!

RC
Parent - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 02-19-2011 23:44
Depends
On ur travel speed. I run 240 range and 40 on 532 rod. But turn up five on bottom. I think ur speed is just to slow. When u see ur puddle tie in to the edge of the bevel move to the next side while keeping a puddle the size of a nickel or so. And just zig zag it down just a tiny bit. Remember on downhill all ur cap needs to be is 1/16 high. Maybe trying to get ur cap more humped up like a 7018. Which dont me wrong u can with 532.. But i like to see how low I can get them before they make me fix them. If it's to hot try to bump it down a range. And don't let the puddle get underur rod. Before u cap get it flush with the pipe. That helps a lot also.
- - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 02-19-2011 23:25
Shannon turn your heat down if you can.... 5/32 on four inch is quite abit of metal to carry because it can get so hot so quick that you can lose your puddle or it gets away from you. So its important to have your rod angle and weaving or stitching pattern, travel speed and amperage just right more so with smaller bore than bigger bore. You want your puddle to follow you and not you following your puddle. turn your ocvs down and use a meter to check it. The more ocvs you have the more watery it will become and more noticeably on smaller dia pipe. If you have a pipepro you should beable to long arc it abit which might help you keep it where you want it to stick. But normally thats not how I would do it. But I have a different old shcool machine as well. Dont worry about trying to stack to much metal cause your chances of getting it to hot are pretty good. Go with thinner passes. You wont save your self any time by using 5/32 if your widening your bevels. You want to beable to run and stack it with in your orginal bevels. Me personally and some pipeliners here may say different but unless I was rolling it out I wouldn't run 5/32 on four inch i would run 1/8, Not to say that I dont run 5/32 on four inch but I find it just as fast and effiecent (thats the key effiecent) if you run 1/8th and stay with in your bevels and stack iron. I switch 5/32 on six inch. Hope this helps.

See ya here in the next couple of weeks as I will be heading your direction for some work I have up there.
Parent - - By NWPAwelder (**) Date 02-20-2011 02:22
I've been running a lot of 8010 doing compressor tie-ins. Not sure how much the heat differs to that of the 6p. Recently had to do some piping modifications for some temporary skid units that had the wrong piping sent for two of the five units they set. I typically will run a 5 for my hot at 3rd and 50 and then switch to 3's for my fill and cap running in 3rd and about 80 to 85 for the fill moving along quite fast. (most recently 6 inch XH) ...then cool down a bit to around 70 for my cap and turn down as I come down the pipe. If I cap with a 5, I will start around 50 - 55 in 3rd gear which is definitely a lot easier to handle on the smaller pipe. Its all in what YOU get comfortable with and can produce the best results with your machine. Mine seems to run a bit colder than some of the others I have welded with in the past.
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 02-20-2011 12:26
What do you have your OCV set at?
Parent - By NWPAwelder (**) Date 02-20-2011 22:31
I run a 300D and set the idle control at a low 8. Havent ever actually checked to see what the OCV's are at this speed.
Parent - - By texasrigwelder (**) Date 02-20-2011 20:37
Lol I switch down to 5/32 on 2 inch all threes on everything up from that
Parent - By NWPAwelder (**) Date 02-20-2011 22:34
I have rolled out 2" with the 3's, but would rather run the 5's on that small of a diameter.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-21-2011 00:25
Well, Everyone knows which machine I have. ( A really Good one that Rick and Stan slober on) I had a custom Stinger made. It will hold two 1/8's a 5/32 and a 3/16 all at the same time. So, I can run a Run a Root, Hot, Fill, and Cap Pass all at the same Time !!!!!!
Parent - - By weaver (***) Date 02-21-2011 01:51
whoa, where can I get one.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-21-2011 01:55
Lincoln ! They don't make Blue ones
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 02-21-2011 04:58
lol Your toooo funny. Cactus. I must admit "I love your disadvantage"
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-21-2011 17:50
And I think it's wonderful that you like to collect Antiques ! (SA250)
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 02-22-2011 02:47
The older the berry the sweeter the juice...lol I heard Best Buy has got a sell on disavantages. Right next to the home theater recievers.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-22-2011 02:48
That's because they are showing that you can power a Complete Home Theater System with a Vantage, WHILE YOU WELD !
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 02-22-2011 02:56
Lol ok ok I give up... You Win. I cant compete with you any more. You can take a horse to water but you cant make him drink. Rick and I know who's got it made with his welding machine. And he aint in Texas brother.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-22-2011 02:58
Matter of fact...... I'm not ! Im in LA on that Derrick Job ! Gotcha again !
Parent - - By ibeweldingsum (***) Date 02-23-2011 18:35
Hey Cactus you need an old hand for any project you got goin on. I want to  work for a (man) not these snivilin fools I been workin for over the years.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-23-2011 19:26
Where are you ? Do you have a Rig ?
Parent - By ibeweldingsum (***) Date 02-23-2011 22:25
im an oky and yep gotta rig
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-22-2011 15:52
Antiques? Boy, I just can't get a leg up. First it's the air cooled raggin', now I got a 250 and still gonna hear raggin'! LoL!!
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 02-22-2011 17:48
Hey Shawn, some might consider the Colt 1911 or the MA DUCE antiques. Go figure- Ted
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-22-2011 17:57
Nope the 1911, was, and always will be State of the Art as far as I'm concerned. Matter of fact, I just got an STI Trojan. And I have a Series 70 Mark IV. Govt.
Parent - - By jpill (**) Date 02-22-2011 22:21
STI.....that brings back some IPSC memories. I remember when STI and Strayer Voight where the frames to have in the race gun game.
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-22-2011 23:36
This new STI is the Finest 45 I have EVER fired ! It is IPSC approved OUT OF THE BOX !
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 02-21-2011 05:06
Damn, that's lots better than me.  I have to hold the root stinger in my right hand and hot pass stinger in my left.  Ya got to post a picture of that custom stinger, lol.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / fill and cap