Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Could someone please measure their Vantage?
- - By Caleb C. (**) Date 02-21-2011 17:30
I am in the process of building my welding bed and I'm about to mount my Oxygen cabinet at the front of the bed. I ordered a new Vantage and it won't be in for a few days so I need the width of the machine at the bottom so I know how much room I have for my Oxy cabinet. The specs I have looked up are conflicting as one says 25.3" and one says 27". I am guessing the 27" includes the mounting "feet" that are on all 4 corners. Is this they way ya'll are mounting these machines or can they be bolted down without using those feet to save me a little space? Thanks for any help...

Caleb
Parent - By J Hall (***) Date 02-21-2011 17:43 Edited 02-21-2011 17:45
27 includes the "feet" Don't forget to take the sliding door into account. I'll get actual measurements today.
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-21-2011 17:45 Edited 02-21-2011 17:47
Caleb,
Mine is 24" W X 60" L. It is a 500 Compact but it is the same footprint as a 300. Those diminsions are without the Feet. I took them of and don't use them. Mine has a peice of 4X4 angle on each corner

Cactus
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-21-2011 17:47
You will want to put your bottle rack between the Cab and the Machine. It only has a door on one side. If you load your machine closest to the cab, you can't access your door.
Parent - By Rig Hand (***) Date 02-21-2011 17:49
V-400 measures about 24 1/4'' The feet are about 2'' on each side but mine are down to about 1 1/2'' now. I weld the tabs down and bolt to the machine, so you could cut them down to maybe just a 1/2''. I only use 2 tabs on the cab side so you could just use the tabs on the back side of the bed.

If you use all four tabs and ever have to pull the machine and then put it back on your truck you'll see how much of a pain it is to line up all 4 or 8 hole.

also its 60'' long

Dam you got 3 replies while I was typing
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-21-2011 19:11
If you will set 4 peices of angle (1 at each corner) and place them Vertical so they wrap the corner, about 6 inches tall. You can set your machine into them and you have no need to bolt it in. Then you can just lift it in and out. I have used this method for years with no problem. Now if your truck goes upside down or stands on it's end, you might have a problem. But I am sure if those things happen, the Machine will be the least of your worries
- - By Caleb C. (**) Date 02-21-2011 19:39
Many thanks for the help, that's just what I needed to know. And my oxy cabinet will be right up against the cab as you mentioned so no issues there. I just wanted to double check and make sure I had enough room. And I was thinking about using angle iron as mentioned instead of the feet. I never thought about NOT bolting it down but that makes sense, I might just do that. Thanks again for the help!
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-22-2011 15:58
I don't have a vantage Caleb but when I picked up my sa250 from Illinois I just had them sit it where I needed it and then drove home. No bolts and went 400+ miles, don't think it moved at all. It's bolted down now but if you go with angle iron the machine is heavy enough your gonna have to hit some serious rough terrain to make it jump.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Could someone please measure their Vantage?