Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / High School
- - By Joe Ricard Date 10-14-2002 12:23
I am a veteran shop teacher but new to teaching welding. Am at a high school, not a vocational center. 8 gas stations, 16 arc stations, 2 MIG. I need to know what other similar teachers are instructing, plus ideas on where to get "detailed" project plans. There are few if any high school welding shops in my area and I want to keep mine going.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 10-14-2002 13:19
I don't have any educational experience but I do suggest that you take a look at the industry thats available in your area. They may be a very good source for curriculum development. Also contact VICA (Vocational industrial clubs of America) and they may have some information. Also contact AWS, they have some programs for schools that are in development. The number is 18004439353.

Good day

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By Wildturkey (**) Date 10-14-2002 15:10
Joe,
Although I am not an instructor myself I have had many hours in welding classes at vocational and tech schools. One of the first things that I was taught was to use the torch. The reason being was all of our steel was donated and we had to cut up the plates and beams to have something to weld on. As far as welding SMAW was the first step. We started with an E-7014 and just ran flat stringers side by side until the beads were acceptable. Then we were required to do the same with E-7018. Next was a fillet weld in the 1F position. As we progressed we went through 2F, 3F, and 4F. After the 4F we dropped back to the stringers on plate using E-6010, and proceeded to the 1F, 2F, 3F, 4F positions. All this was required before any groove test and I think most guys spent about a semester or so before groove welding. I am not sure what your capabilities are but one semester our instructor was out and they had a few volunteers from local tech schools come in to teach techniques. I hope that you can get some pointers from the AWS guys. Wish you luck, if it wasn’t for vocational programs I wouldn’t be where I’m at.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 10-14-2002 15:23
I agree about the value of tech schools. I breezed through many parts of the US Navy's C1 welding school because of what I learned in high school. I passed the last portion with one hand in a cast. It was my right hand and I was right handed. Had it not been for the experience I had gained in High school, I wouldn't have been able to strike an arc with my left hand.

Gerald Austin

Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-14-2002 19:44
Joe,

The High School and Community College programs that I most admire can from time to time frustrate young students; nonetheless, I am persuaded the following is the best way to begin with (pre-apprentice) young welders.

1. Oxy-Fuel safety and Shop Equipment.
NOBODY lights a torch or strikes an arc until the principals of operations of each piece of equipment to be used are demonstrated (in writing and practically to you) with 100% accuracy. This includes any tools (grinders, cutoff wheels etc.)

2. Oxy Fuel welding and cutting
Any welder in almost any shop they may step foot into will be expected to be proficient with this. In a course that may last only one or two semesters, mastery of Oxy-Fuel will be of greatest value. Secondly Gas welding on thin mild steel is a way for welders with no experience to learn how to "See" a molten weld puddle and begin to control it, furthermore it allows students to get an inexpensive education in distortion control and the manual dexterity aspects of gas welding will be used as the students move forward later to GTAW.

3. SMAW 6010/6011 On thin mild steel develops skills that will transfer to other electrode types and processes. Tacking and arc control are often passed by when we are too quick to get out there and build something. Again the welders are compelled to learn what they are "looking at" and how to make adjustments in technique. A student can be quickly be taught to run beads with Low hydrogen (7014/7018) electrodes that look good but they may enter the workforce and be a disappointment to both themselves and their employer.

The above may appear formidable, but hey, that's just how the trades really are. Your local employers will appreciate an apprentice who has a fundamental grasp of Safety, Hand and Shop Tools, Power sources and Process. You and your students will both feel better when you KNOW that when they enter the working world they will not hurt themselves or anybody else due to the fact they were unprepared.

Beginners will learn at very different rates. This is why a competency-based curriculum is vital. When a motivated student demonstrates (in writing and in practice) mastery of a principal or process they may move to the next step. Slower students (or those who end up in your shop because some other elective was full) must be kept safe by a solid process of step-by-step accountability for each stage of training.

The textbook of choice for me is "Modern Welding Technology" by Howard Cary

I also appreciate the structure of the AWS "Level 1 Entry Level" and "Level 2 Advanced" welder qualification standards. The qualifications for each process and position may be used as part of your project plans, adding integrity and value to your program. Detailed expectations are provided for both the welder and the Instructor.

The advice to pursue a relationship with VICA is excellent.

Keep us updated

Lawrence

Parent - By magodley (**) Date 10-14-2002 20:01
See the Hobart Institute of Welding Technology. They used to have a publication called "Recommendations for teaching Welding" that was excellent. Also see Lincoln Welding School. There is no shortage of Curriculum...that's what education does best is revise curriculum...not equipment just curriculum. You don't have to spend a ton of money to have a good program as far as curriculum goes. As someone has said, find out what your local Industry wants.
Parent - - By don (**) Date 10-17-2002 00:46
oops, see next post
Parent - - By don (**) Date 10-17-2002 01:16
Hello, I teach high school and college welding and I am offering my advice from many years of floundering and mistakes. Take it or leave it.
1) Textbook- after using 5 different texts, including modern welding, hobart and others, there is only one true comprehensive welding text; Welding principles and applications by larry jeffus ( a welder)
2) Curriculum- AWS Entry Level welder program. It gives you an industry standard complete competency based curriculum to drive your program.
contact D. Hevia at AWS. My advisory council truly beleive in this program and hire students with this certification because they know the student has mastered the competencies in SMAW,GMAW-s,GMAW spray arc,FCAW,FCAW-g,GTAW (alum,mild steel, stainless), OFC, CAC as well as symbols, and safety.
3) Get your CWE or CWI, the education you learn in jumping through that hoop are irreplaceable in the classroom.
4) Dont get buy high tech equipment. Most arc welders are capable of doing what you need, just make sure they have acceptable duty cycles. We have some lincoln arc welders that are 20+ years old and do everything a new one will.
You can short circuit,run flux core and spray arc with the 255 machines with .035 and 92/8 gas just fine no matter how much technology a salesman tries to sell you. www.lincolnelectric.com
For tig we use the lincoln 175 squarewave pro its also a great little arc welder and is all the tig you will ever need for alum,stainless,and mild steel and is the least expensive!!
You dont need pulse
You dont need high tech wire (metal core etc...)
5) Make the suppliers give you bids on the supplies you think you will need for that year. Tell them you want a locked in price, if they say they cant thats b.s. they can. Never be afraid to "dicker or jew" for a cheaper price. My suppliers know when I walk in the door not to shoot me list price, you would be shocked at thier markup, ESPECIALLY ON GASSES AND BOTTLE RENTAL.
6) Put together an advisory council with as many people as you can think of. Meet once a semester, buy them supper or breakfast and make thier time worth while. Ours meets tomorrow and I look forward to it!
7) Good luck !!!! If I can help you feel free to email me.
Sincerely, Don

Parent - By StockbridgeHS Date 12-06-2002 19:02
Thanks, Don!
I, too, am a HS teacher (Building Trades) that wants brush the cobwebs off our welding equipment...

I'll look into your information.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / High School