Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / D1.1 vs D15.1
- - By hittman375 (*) Date 02-23-2011 20:19
I had a customer that came to me several months ago that wanted to get all of their welders tested on smaw and fcaw for an upcoming inspection. They do repairs on railcars and I was upfront with them that I wasn't familiar with D15.1 and that the place I work at only does structural testing. The supervisor at that customer said that the structural testing would be ok. Now several months later with the inspection taking place, he calls me and wants to know why all of their WPQR's say D1.1 on them. He also asked if D1.1 and D15.1 requirements are the same. I have never worked with D15.1 and don't even have a copy of it. Can anyone tell me if the D1.1 testing will cover the requirements for D15.1?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-24-2011 13:27
Step 1 - buy the applicable welding standard.

Al
Parent - By pax23 (**) Date 03-02-2011 18:20
For welders it is easy. This is directly from D15.1:
5.3.2 Welders or welding operators who are qualified for the materials, processes, and procedures being used in accordance with one of the following specifications shall be considered qualified to weld under this specification.
(1) ASME, Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, Section IX
(2) AAR M-1002, Specification for Tank Cars, Appendix W
(3) AWS D1.1, Structural Welding Code—Steel
(4) AWS D1.2, Structural Welding Code—Aluminum
(5) AWS D1.3, Structural Welding Code—Sheet Steel
(6) AWS D1.5, Bridge Welding Code
(7) AWS D1.6, Structural Welding Code—Stainless Steel
(8) ASTM A 488, Practice for Steel Castings, Welding, Qualifications of Procedures and Personnel
(9) AWS B2. 1, Specification for Welding Procedure and Performance Qualification (qualification by visual inspection alone is prohibited)
(10) CSA W47. 1, Certification of Companies for Fusion Welding of Steel Structures
(11) CSA W47.2, Certification of Companies for Fusion Welding of Aluminum

For procedure qualification, D15.1 says the following:
5.2.2 Other materials or welding procedures using one of the processes covered by this specification may be used, provided they are qualified by applicable tests as prescribed in Clause 10. The acceptability of qualification
to other standards is the Fabricator’s Engineer’s responsibility, to be exercised based upon the specific structure, or service conditions, or both.

To wit:
Fabricator’s Engineer. A designated individual with design authority employed by the fabricator, manufacturer, or outside repair facility who is responsible for the ongoing activities within the scope of the specification.
- By hittman375 (*) Date 03-15-2011 14:29
Thanks pax. I forgot to check back here for a while. I appreciate your help. I work for a welding supply company and am not doing testing all of the time. It is more of a side line thing for my company so we try to stick to just a few codes. The 15.1 code is not one of them. I always try to be very up front with the people that ask me to do testing for them. Had the guy that the customer hired to take care of their certifications know what they wanted then the whole mess could have been avoided. I appreciate your advice.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / D1.1 vs D15.1